Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 01-13-2020, 08:29 PM   #1
Rellwood
Library Breeder (She/Her)
Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD (1) PW3 (4) PW3 2019 new edition (1)
Calibre 64 and 32

I just noticed that I have two versions of Calibre on my computer. This must have happened when Calibre stopped defining the 32 or 64bit downloads because of the whole "We stopped supporting Windows 7" and I downloaded version 4.7. I had the 64 bit version 4.6. So now I have the two versions.

Before anyone suggests why don't I switch over to Windows 10 or another OS, I am using Windows 7 because Windows 10 requires me to keep an external usb source for previous versions or restore points instead of storing them on the hard drive. I am not prepared to do this. I am not prepared to lose a usb port, or keep another drive tethered to my computer, which I move around all the time.

So my question is this, should I remove the older version or keep both, and will clicking on one version over another cause problems (outside of what the program would have beeing on the Windows 7)?
Rellwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2020, 08:49 PM   #2
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Remove the version you don't want with Control Panel->Programs and Features->Uninstall, you won't lose anything

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-13-2020, 08:57 PM   #3
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
32 vs 64 has not much to do with W7 EOS
It has to do with Hardware installed in your PC. (and 64 would not install if you did not have a 64 bit CPU)

You can have both installed (and this might be a good thing if you use some of the older PI that have not been upgraded in a while) You just run ONLY 1 version of Calibre at a time and use the PI as needed. So havin 32 bit be a 3.x version and 4.4 be your 64 bit would make sense

At this time, the DB is the same. Kovid will warn us if it ever changes to the point old Calibre will have issues
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2020, 10:04 PM   #4
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rellwood View Post

Before anyone suggests why don't I switch over to Windows 10 or another OS, I am using Windows 7 because Windows 10 requires me to keep an external usb source for previous versions or restore points instead of storing them on the hard drive. I am not prepared to do this. I am not prepared to lose a usb port, or keep another drive tethered to my computer, which I move around all the time.
What? The first time I hear of any such requirement, and I've used Win 10 since 2015. I have never kept an external disk connected because the OS wants me to. It has never wanted me to.
Sirtel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2020, 12:21 AM   #5
AnotherCat
AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ....
Quote:
Before anyone suggests why don't I switch over to Windows 10 or another OS, I am using Windows 7 because Windows 10 requires me to keep an external usb source for previous versions or restore points instead of storing them on the hard drive.
Whoever told you that was pulling your leg. It is all a load of rubbish.
AnotherCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-14-2020, 12:44 AM   #6
binaryhermit
Grand Sorcerer
binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW4, Kindle Paperwhite Signature Edition
I think that's the case on computers with 32 GB of storage as was common on cheap laptops not too long ago, maybe.
binaryhermit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2020, 02:27 AM   #7
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Workarounds for Windows File History to use internal drive

I've not tested them.

A workaround I have tested is to disable File History

BR

Last edited by BetterRed; 01-14-2020 at 02:30 AM.
Old 01-14-2020, 02:40 AM   #8
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
I keep my Windows File History off. Dropbox file history is enough for me. And I've very rarely needed even that.
Sirtel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2020, 07:48 AM   #9
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
The solution is to move to Windows 10 64-bit. And before you say you said not to suggest this, the reason you said not to suggest this is 100% wrong. I've been running Windows 10 for a long time and I've never needed an external hard drive or USB storage, Windows does not ask for such when creating a restore point. Whoever said that to you is wrong.

So switching to Windows 10 is the way to go.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2020, 04:19 PM   #10
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)

@Rellwood - You can disable File History. If you enable it, you can configure it to use a local external (USB) device, or a network share, or cloud storage.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Annotation 2020-01-15 073509.jpg
Views:	104
Size:	98.8 KB
ID:	176395

And AFAIK Win 10 Restore Points are kept in the hidden system folder System Volume Information in the root of the system drive.

BR
Old 01-18-2020, 04:52 PM   #11
Rellwood
Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnotherCat View Post
Whoever told you that was pulling your leg. It is all a load of rubbish.
I have tried many times to run Windows 10 on my computer (or other computers) and I have always had to keep it plugged into an external drive for the previous versions and restore points to work.

Has it changed?

What is File History in Windows 10?

File History is a built-in tool that was first introduced in Windows 8 and it allows you to recover files you might have accidentally deleted, or restore a modified document to an earlier version. It’s essentially like Apple’s Time Machine but for Windows.

To use it, you’ll need an external hard drive or a large capacity USB flash drive. You can set it up to use a network location, too. File History will automatically back up Favorites, Contacts, Desktop items, and more.

All this data can add up in a hurry, but you can configure File History to exclude certain folders and how often it saves copies of files.

https://www.groovypost.com/howto/con...-file-history/
Old 01-18-2020, 05:00 PM   #12
Rellwood

I remember trying to use windows 10 and anytime I wanted to use previous versions of files I had to have it attahched to an external drive.

I must be mistaken.

If you all are saying it's not necessary, I might take my machiene to my computer guy and see if it can be installed. It is the only reason I keep coming back to Windows 7.
Old 01-18-2020, 05:41 PM   #13
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)

If you want to use the Previous Versions tool in File Manager you need to enable File History and tell it where to store the previous versions

Quote:
To use it, you’ll need an external hard drive or a large capacity USB flash drive. You can set it up to use a network location, too.

https://www.groovypost.com/howto/con...-file-history/
Old 01-18-2020, 05:47 PM   #14
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
I remember trying to use windows 10 and anytime I wanted to use previous versions of files I had to have it attahched to an external drive.

I must be mistaken.

If you all are saying it's not necessary, I might take my machiene to my computer guy and see if it can be installed. It is the only reason I keep coming back to Windows 7.
This is not to say that you did not make a setting (intentional or not) to use additional drives. In this case External.
This may need a Guru level expert and not the typical help counter guy.
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2020, 06:26 PM   #15
rwmcafee
Connoisseur
rwmcafee knows what time it isrwmcafee knows what time it isrwmcafee knows what time it isrwmcafee knows what time it isrwmcafee knows what time it isrwmcafee knows what time it isrwmcafee knows what time it isrwmcafee knows what time it isrwmcafee knows what time it isrwmcafee knows what time it isrwmcafee knows what time it is

I didn't know that Window had a previous version capability built in. The last time that I used this type of feature was back in the DEX days last century.

This subject piqued my curiosity and a Google search got me to this link.

https://www.pcworld.com/article/2974...p-feature.html

Enjoy, Ron
rwmcafee is offline   Reply With Quote