Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 08-23-2014, 07:29 AM   #1
cybmole
Wizard
cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
calibre 2.0 strange crash

don't think I've ever reported a calibre crash before. win 7 64 bit.
I clicked the system tray icon to restore main window & it simply vanished.

So then I tried to start calibre from start manu - nothing happened.

task manager shows 2 instances of calibre.exe running and will not stop them.
tried kill process, kill process tree - nada,
am going to have to log out or reboot. is there anywhere i should then look for a log to post here ?

update: everything on PC was working fine except that I could not run calibre, tried to log off, PC hung , needed hard reset. seems OK now, cannot find any error logs to post....

Last edited by cybmole; 08-23-2014 at 07:39 AM.
cybmole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2014, 02:02 PM   #2
cybmole
Wizard
cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

and another one- this time I put PC into sleep mode, while calibre was running ( idling). not other programs running I think
PC goes to sleep then 1 second later the CPU fans go to 100% & I have no control. it will not wake. have to hold in power button until it shuts down.

I am wondering if Qt5 & win 7 64 bit are not playing nice together ? MY PC is usually ultra reliable & the only recent install was this calibre upgrade to 2.0 ?

I ill trigger sleep again in a minute & see if I can reproduce....
Advert
Old 08-23-2014, 02:14 PM   #3
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Sleep works fine here. Win7 Pro/64 and Win8.1/64.

I don't use the systray icon.
chaley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2014, 02:26 PM   #4
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
There are some issues with qt 5 and system tray icons, but I thought they were only limited to linux. See for example: http://stackoverflow.com/questions/2...qt5-linux-lxde

That said, I cannot reproduce any system tray icon related crashes on my windows machine either
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2014, 02:33 PM   #5
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
That said, I cannot reproduce any system tray icon related crashes on my windows machine either
I turned on the systray icon on my win 8.1 machine (the one I am using at the moment) and it seems to work fine. I tried both sleeping and hibernating, and neither "broke" the tray icon. It did move to the "hidden icons" section after a sleep, but it worked fine from there. I will leave it on to see whether something happens in the future, and I will try it on my Win7 machine when I next use it.
chaley is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-23-2014, 03:28 PM   #6
gbm
Wizard
gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD,Hisence Sero 7 Pro RIP, Nook STR, jetbook lite
Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
There are some issues with qt 5 and system tray icons, but I thought they were only limited to linux. See for example: http://stackoverflow.com/questions/2...qt5-linux-lxde

I can not reproduce it on my Linux Mint 17 64bit system with 10 sleep wake cycles--with calibre on system tray and open on screen.

bernie
gbm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2014, 03:35 PM   #7
JWPearson
JWPearson began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Fire
I have just installed 2.0 (was running 1.48) and it crashes every time I run it

I ran the repair option and it still crashes.

Removed 2.0 and reinstalled 1.48 and it runs fine. I always install the latest release and have not had any problem upgrading until 2.0 was released.

My guess is that there is a bug of some sort in the just released 2.0 that is causing it to crash.

Is this a known problem and will there be an update anytime soon for this? I noted that others have had the same problem in the last day or so.

FYI - I run XP with all updates and service packs installed and have had NO problems until installing Calibre 2.0.
JWPearson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2014, 04:25 PM   #8
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by JWPearson View Post
FYI - I run XP with all updates and service packs installed and have had NO problems until installing Calibre 2.0.
Qt5 is known to have some issues with XP. Best thing you can do is to upgrade away from XP and get a Windows that works better with Qt5. Both Windows 7 and Windows 8.1 are faster then Windows XP.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2014, 07:08 PM   #9
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by JWPearson View Post
I have just installed 2.0 (was running 1.48) and it crashes every time I run it

I ran the repair option and it still crashes.

Removed 2.0 and reinstalled 1.48 and it runs fine. I always install the latest release and have not had any problem upgrading until 2.0 was released.

My guess is that there is a bug of some sort in the just released 2.0 that is causing it to crash.

Is this a known problem and will there be an update anytime soon for this? I noted that others have had the same problem in the last day or so.

Not sure if this is related to your problem but when I started playing with the Calibre 2.0 betas, I had a couple of odd issues. Basically, I ended up taking notes about all the plugins I had installed, settings, etc. and then uninstalling Calibre and deleting all the Calibre directories (program and user data) except the library directory. Installed Calibre and the problems seem to have disappeared.

Regards,
David
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2014, 01:23 AM   #10
cybmole
Wizard

i was not able to reproduce the sleep issue, or the 1st crash - not yet anyway.
i have a fanless graphix card so the fan noise must have been cpu fan going to 100%, maybe some glitch not related to calibre but i reported it as is was my 2nd crash after upgrading to 2.0. my CPu fan hardly ever revs up in normal use. even if I drive the cpu hard with book or video conversions. I only usually hear it for a couple of seconds at boot up as all Dell PCs start by giving the fans a brief blast