Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 12-11-2019, 01:46 PM   #1
pghaworth
Fervent Pleasure Seeker
pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD
New Kobo Owner

not even sure where to start since I've never used one beyond testing one in 2011. it's a little daunting.

I've done a lot of reading over the last week or two, but if anything I'm more confused about patches, etc. than when I started. I've saved links to everything I read that was important, but have no idea really where to start and how to start beyond turning it on and registering it, loading books.

all help and suggestions appreciated.
pghaworth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2019, 01:50 PM   #2
Calenorn
Brash Fumbler
Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: NST, Kobo Mini
I suppose it depends on what you want the reader to do. Why not read on it for a few weeks in its standard form before tinkering? See if you like it that way.
Calenorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2019, 01:53 PM   #3
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghaworth View Post
not even sure where to start since I've never used one beyond testing one in 2011. it's a little daunting.

I've done a lot of reading over the last week or two, but if anything I'm more confused about patches, etc. than when I started. I've saved links to everything I read that was important, but have no idea really where to start and how to start beyond turning it on and registering it, loading books.

all help and suggestions appreciated.
What to do is install the new 4.19 firmware and wait for the patches.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2019, 02:06 PM   #4
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:

I've done a lot of reading over the last week or two, but if anything I'm more confused about patches, etc. than when I started.
Follow Calenorn's advice. Read on the Clara for a bit. See what you do and don't like about it and then worry about patching. Don't get overwhelmed.

Kobo's firmware is much different than it was. Lots of stuff that required patching no longer does.

How are you getting books on the device? Buying from Kobo? Importing with Calibre?
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2019, 02:06 PM   #5
pghaworth
Fervent Pleasure Seeker
pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calenorn View Post
I suppose it depends on what you want the reader to do. Why not read on it for a few weeks in its standard form before tinkering? See if you like it that way.
because what I like is not what it will be configured with, but thank you.

I want a clean home screen with only books and/or collections, no ads, links, etc. from Kobo, no headers, footers, page/location, clock or the like on reading pages, with maximum page size/minimum margins on all sides. this is how I have my kindles configured (now dead).
Old 12-11-2019, 02:07 PM   #6
pghaworth
Fervent Pleasure Seeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
Follow Calenorn's advice. Read on the Clara for a bit. See what you do and don't like about it and then worry about patching. Don't get overwhelmed.

Kobo's firmware is much different than it was. Lots of stuff that required patching no longer does.

How are you getting books on the device? Buying from Kobo? Importing with Calibre?
Calibre
Old 12-11-2019, 02:08 PM   #7
pghaworth
Fervent Pleasure Seeker

definitely configuring for book covers and changing affiliate if that's what it takes
Old 12-11-2019, 02:09 PM   #8
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Quote:
because what I like is not what it will be configured with, but thank you.

I want a clean home screen with only books and/or collections, no ads, links, etc. from Kobo, no headers, footers, page/location, clock or the like on reading pages, with maximum page size/minimum margins on all sides. this is how I have my kindles configured (now dead).
No headers/footers is now a firmware option, but you'll need patches for the rest.
Sirtel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2019, 02:09 PM   #9
pghaworth
Fervent Pleasure Seeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
What to do is install the new 4.19 firmware and wait for the patches.
thanks.
Old 12-11-2019, 02:11 PM   #10
pghaworth
Fervent Pleasure Seeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirtel View Post
No headers/footers is now a firmware option, but you'll need patches for the rest.
thank you. am I right in understanding that if I upgrade to the latest fw, I have to wait for new patches for the rest? it might drive me a bit buggy to do that. fibro makes it difficult for me to deal with tmi, which is why I need a clean home screen, and I do prefer it that way anyway.
Old 12-11-2019, 02:14 PM   #11
pghaworth
Fervent Pleasure Seeker

I also thought I might load one book with three formats of it, mobi, kepub, & epub to see which I prefer on the Clara.

thoughts?
Old 12-11-2019, 02:14 PM   #12
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
thank you. am I right in understanding that if I upgrade to the latest fw, I have to wait for new patches for the rest? it might drive me a bit buggy to do that. fibro makes it difficult for me to deal with tmi, which is why I need a clean home screen, and I do prefer it that way anyway.
Yes. Also the device might update itself, as soon as it's connected to wifi (happened to me once). So if you don't want to wait for the patches, your best bet is to skip registration somehow, for now, but I don't know how to do that.
Old 12-11-2019, 02:16 PM   #13
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
I also thought I might load one book with three formats of it, mobi, kepub, & epub to see which I prefer on the Clara.

thoughts?
Don't bother with mobi. But epub and kepub, yes. That's what I did, in fact, when I got my Libra.
Old 12-11-2019, 02:17 PM   #14
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
thanks.
If I had a second Kobo, I would put 4.19 on and see how it is without patches.

What version firmware is on your Clara?

If you want to change the affiliate in order to sync the new firmware, you can change it to one of three You can change to bestbuyca, beta, or walmartca.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2019, 02:17 PM   #15
pghaworth
Fervent Pleasure Seeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirtel View Post
Yes. Also the device might update itself, as soon as it's connected to wifi (happened to me once). So if you don't want to wait for the patches, your best bet is to skip registration somehow, for now, but I don't know how to do that.
thanks. I'll see if I can figure that out. I'm going to use a fake reg, but don't want updates forced. hard to be quick and dirty on a device I've never used.

how do I turn off wifi right after I reg? I need to be quick so I need exact steps please. thank you.