Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 11-09-2020, 07:06 AM   #1
joedoe
joedoe began at the beginning.

Device: sony dpt-s1
is my kobo forma screen broken(horizontal and vertical line)

got strange horizontal line and vertical line on the screen, it doesn't go away even after factory reset, not sure whether the screen is broken or something, did anyone have similar issue?

Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	852
Size:	50.7 KB
ID:	183303

Last edited by issybird; 11-09-2020 at 09:57 AM. Reason: Oversize image. Please read the guidelines on image size.
joedoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2020, 09:33 AM   #2
mbovenka
Wizard
mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage
Quote:
Originally Posted by joedoe View Post
got strange horizontal line and vertical line on the screen, it doesn't go away even after factory reset, not sure whether the screen is broken or something, did anyone have similar issue?
I have a similar vertical line in my screen. I can't see in your picture whether it's 'negative' (dark line on a light background, light line on a dark background) as it is with my Forma.

It's probably a screen driver issue. I'm living with it until it gives up the ghost completely.
mbovenka is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-09-2020, 07:08 PM   #3
robko
Wizard
robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo
It may be broken, but looks like a controller problem. Is the vertical line completely straight or any curve/jag in it (would indicate broken)? You'll be able to tell when you turn it on and start flipping pages -- if it's broken parts of the screen won't update.
Of course, a controller problem could also be considered broken -- I'd say it's a hardware issue one way or the other.
robko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2020, 08:02 PM   #4
hobnail
Running with scissors
hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
If it's under warranty I'd ask them if it can be exchanged.

The typical problem with a vertical line is a fuzzy one on the side by the buttons, caused by some design failure; it goes away if I turn down the brightness.
hobnail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2020, 11:47 PM   #5
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
The Forma uses a flexible plastic TFT, it wouldn't showcase the usual glass cracks shown on earlier... glass TFT when they... crack .

That, on the other hand, could be a badly seated flex cable. Or something worse. So, yeah, if it's under warranty, call CS.

And, no, this has nothing to do with the Forma's famous frontlight sidebar of doom (because, first: duh. And, second, the frontlight is off on the "connected to a computer" screen).
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-21-2020, 05:26 AM   #6
joedoe
joedoe began at the beginning.

Device: sony dpt-s1
thanks all for the reply, i think this is definitely a hardware problem, it's not going away no matter what i do with the reset etc.., and now i got 2 vertical lines instead of 1, they are showing as negative line, similar to this one

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=334431
joedoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2021, 04:26 PM   #7
timisreading
timisreading began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Forma
My Forma developed the same problem yesterday. Two perfectly straight thin lines. One horizontal, one vertical. Have yours gone away?
timisreading is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2021, 11:41 AM   #8
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Either broken, or if you are very lucky the ribbon connection needs remounted.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2021, 11:43 AM   #9
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
Remember that the Forma has a plastic TFT, so it's potentially more likely to be a badly seated cable than a broken screen than on other devices .

EDIT: Oh, I'm parroting myself.
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2021, 12:12 PM   #10
Nightflyer
Connoisseur
Nightflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nightflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nightflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nightflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nightflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nightflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nightflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nightflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nightflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nightflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nightflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Meebook M6, Kobo Clara HD
How long have you had it? Can you return it easily?

I would be frustrated as he** if my Clara HD did that.

If it’s not constant, the I suspect only related to that situation, and not hardware. And not your concern to work on technical issues anyway.

I would take mine back and show them, and ask to replace unless sufficient explanation, well, because I can take easily back to the shop where I bought it.

Last edited by Nightflyer; 01-27-2021 at 12:17 PM.
Nightflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2021, 12:16 PM   #11
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
I had a Sony Reader PRS-505 that had a vertical line show up on screen. Eventually, the screen under the line stopped updating and remained blank. It wasn't a problem screen. I would say a controller fault.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2021, 08:45 AM   #12
timisreading
timisreading began at the beginning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightflyer View Post
How long have you had it? Can you return it easily?
Eighteen months. Still feels new to me, but long enough to be out of warranty.

I'm not excited about the prospect of opening it and checking for properly seated cables, but that seems like my only option right now. I've really enjoyed using this Kobo and I hoped for a much longer device lifespan than this!
timisreading is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2021, 10:11 AM   #13
Ripplinger
350 Hoarder
Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-350, Kobo Glo & Glo HD, PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by timisreading View Post
I've really enjoyed using this Kobo and I hoped for a much longer device lifespan than this!
Don't let that turn you away from Kobos or ereaders in general, it's just luck of the draw as with any electronics. I've got Kobo Glo HDs from 2015 that are still working perfectly. Although I don't use anything else now but the Glo HD, I've got Kobo Glos from 2012 and even Sony 350s from 2010 that are still like new and working perfectly. I charge them every 3 months or so just to keep the batteries good.
Ripplinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2022, 12:26 PM   #14
Mr. Nietzsche
Mr. Nietzsche began at the beginning.

Anyone mangaged to fix this issue by opening the device up and trying to reseat the cable? My Forma developed such a line a week a go and this bothers me way more than it should. Unfortunately a reset didn't help and it's out of warranty
Mr. Nietzsche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2022, 07:15 AM   #15
Mr. Nietzsche
Mr. Nietzsche began at the beginning.

In case if someone is interested: I now opened up my Forma to see if I can fix the issue. The connector for the display flex cable seems to be fixed with glue, so a loose or shifted flex connector is very unlikely to happen. It also didn't do anything for my problem. Maybe I will be able to get a damaged unit and do a display swap.
Mr. Nietzsche is offline   Reply With Quote