Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader > Kobo Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 11-12-2015, 03:32 PM   #46
Ken Maltby
Wizard
Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note2, AuraHD, PDA,
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Is there an English GB that would work with RMDSK?
I don't know what Adobe Reader Mobile uses.

Luck;
Ken
Ken Maltby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2016, 01:48 PM   #47
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
I installed the JSWolfHyphenUS-EN file from post #1 on my Aura running 3.19.5761. Now my Kobo just doesn't hyphenate at all.

I went to .kobo/dict and I don't see a hyphen dictionary at all. Just dicthtml and the five language variants (de, es, fr, it, pt). Did something go wrong? Am I missing something, maybe? Would it be possible to just take the hyphen dictionary file and drop it in the dict folder?

All my books are kepub and I've read that hyphenation doesn't work as well there as ePub. But now it just isn't working at all. (I'm not likely to switch from kepub to ePub as I rely on the 'page per chapter count' which, if I remember correctly, does not work with ePub).
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-14-2016, 02:45 PM   #48
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: KA1, ClaraHD, Forma, Libra2, Clara2E. PocketBook: TouchHD3
@ZodWallop,

I think you're confusing 2 different types of 'dictionary'.

Type 1: Dictionaries where you look up the meaning of words, e.g. dicthtml.zip, are stored on your Kobo in directory .kobo\dict. These can be drag-dropped into place via USB.

Type 2: Hyphenation dictionaries, e.g. hyph_en.dic, are not stored in a directory which is directly user-accessible via USB. Consequently you have to install them in a similar way to sideloading a new firmware, namely:
- package them up in a KoboRoot.tgz file,
- connect via USB,
- copy tgz to the .kobo directory
- safely disconnect USB and let the Kobo process the .tgz file. This will put the hyphenation dictionaries into the correct inaccessible directory (which is \usr\local\Kobo\hyphenDicts).

If you haven't already, you need to unzip JSWolf's attachment and extract the KoboRoot.tgz file and apply as per Type 2 above.
jackie_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2016, 04:14 PM   #49
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackie_w View Post
@ZodWallop,

I think you're confusing 2 different types of 'dictionary'.

Type 1: Dictionaries where you look up the meaning of words, e.g. dicthtml.zip, are stored on your Kobo in directory .kobo\dict. These can be drag-dropped into place via USB.

Type 2: Hyphenation dictionaries, e.g. hyph_en.dic, are not stored in a directory which is directly user-accessible via USB. Consequently you have to install them in a similar way to sideloading a new firmware, namely:
- package them up in a KoboRoot.tgz file,
- connect via USB,
- copy tgz to the .kobo directory
- safely disconnect USB and let the Kobo process the .tgz file. This will put the hyphenation dictionaries into the correct inaccessible directory (which is \usr\local\Kobo\hyphenDicts).

If you haven't already, you need to unzip JSWolf's attachment and extract the KoboRoot.tgz file and apply as per Type 2 above.
It's not that I'm misunderstanding anything, it is that I am trying to be clear. I followed the directions in post #1, twice, days apart in case the first time I made an error. Now there is no hyphenation at all.

Then I got to wondering if, perhaps, getting a copy of, say, hyph_en.dic and dropping it in the kobo/dict file might solve my problem.

Last edited by ZodWallop; 12-14-2016 at 04:16 PM.
Old 12-14-2016, 04:43 PM   #50
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
It's not that I'm misunderstanding anything, it is that I am trying to be clear. I followed the directions in post #1, twice, days apart in case the first time I made an error. Now there is no hyphenation at all.

Then I got to wondering if, perhaps, getting a copy of, say, hyph_en.dic and dropping it in the kobo/dict file might solve my problem.
When you convert to kepub, do you by any chance have hyphenation turned off in the options? I just converted a book to kepub and I am getting hyphens. I did make sure hyphenation was turned on in the conversion options.

Last edited by JSWolf; 12-14-2016 at 05:00 PM.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-14-2016, 04:55 PM   #51
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar

Quote:
When you convert to kepub, do you by any chance have hyphenation turned off in the options?
No. I did have hyphenation before I installed the patch file.

However, to be safe I will go over my settings when I get home to make sure something didn't inadvertently get changed and I'll report back.

Last edited by ZodWallop; 12-14-2016 at 05:01 PM.
Old 12-14-2016, 05:03 PM   #52
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Is it all kepubs or just some?

Here are a few more avenues you could explore. For one of your books which isn't hyphenating check the following:
  • Check your HTML files for code like xml:lang="languagecode". The language code needs to be valid. I mention this one specifically because it recently took me far too long to figure out that one of my books wasn't hyphenating because it was riddled with xml:lang="eng" code which should have been xml:lang="en".
  • Check your value for Language in the calibre library metadata. Whatever value you have there needs to be valid and should be written to the OPF file (<dc:language>languagecode</dc:language>) during KoboTouchExtended send-to-device. I don't useit myself but the KoboTouchExtended driver has an option to 'Replace Content Language Code'. I'm not really sure exactly what code changes this option makes.
  • Have you configured the KoboTouchExtended driver to enable hyphenation?
  • Does your CSS file contain occurrences of -webkit-hyphens:none in inappropriate places?
  • On the Kobo device font menu have you set it to left justify? By default I don't think hyphenation works on left-justified text.
Old 12-14-2016, 06:06 PM   #53
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackie_w View Post
Is it all kepubs or just some?

Here are a few more avenues you could explore. For one of your books which isn't hyphenating check the following:
  • Check your HTML files for code like xml:lang="languagecode". The language code needs to be valid. I mention this one specifically because it recently took me far too long to figure out that one of my books wasn't hyphenating because it was riddled with xml:lang="eng" code which should have been xml:lang="en".
  • Check your value for Language in the calibre library metadata. Whatever value you have there needs to be valid and should be written to the OPF file (<dc:language>languagecode</dc:language>) during KoboTouchExtended send-to-device. I don't useit myself but the KoboTouchExtended driver has an option to 'Replace Content Language Code'. I'm not really sure exactly what code changes this option makes.
  • Have you configured the KoboTouchExtended driver to enable hyphenation?
  • Does your CSS file contain occurrences of -webkit-hyphens:none in inappropriate places?
  • On the Kobo device font menu have you set it to left justify? By default I don't think hyphenation works on left-justified text.
reading through all of that makes me hope that something came unchecked in the extended touch driver

If that doesn't work magic, I'll reply back and answer your questions in detail.

Should I start a new thread? I don't mean to hijack this one.
Old 12-14-2016, 10:21 PM   #54
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar

Hey guys, I checked the Kobo TouchExtended driver and the hyphentate files box was not checked. I checked it. Pulled my current book of, added it back and opened it. It is now hyphenated!

Now my question is: Is there any way to refresh all the books currently loaded on the Kobo aside from yanking them all off and adding them all back?
Old 12-15-2016, 05:51 AM   #55
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Hey guys, I checked the Kobo TouchExtended driver and the hyphentate files box was not checked. I checked it. Pulled my current book of, added it back and opened it. It is now hyphenated!

Now my question is: Is there any way to refresh all the books currently loaded on the Kobo aside from yanking them all off and adding them all back?
You do not have to remove them. Send them again and they will be updated with the newer versions.
Old 12-15-2016, 09:38 AM   #56
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar

Quote:
You do not have to remove them. Send them again and they will be updated with the newer versions.
Thanks man! I was afraid I'd wind up with two copies.

Incidentally, in the Kobo TouchExtended settings, there was the box to hyphenate files and then there was a separate box to remove hyphenation. There may be good and valid reasons to have two seemingly contradictory boxes. But it is a confusing UI choice. At the very least, it might be a good idea to place both boxes side by side.
Old 12-15-2016, 11:16 AM   #57
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

If it was up to me, I would have hyphenation be the default and you have to turn it off specifically to disable hyphens.
Old 12-15-2016, 12:15 PM   #58
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar

Quote:
If it was up to me, I would have hyphenation be the default and you have to turn it off specifically to disable hyphens.
I completely agree.
Old 12-15-2016, 04:52 PM   #59
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
I completely agree.
Another issue is the stupid setting in the Kobo supplied hyphenation dictionary. The left and right numbers are set to 5. This is why I posted the one I did because it uses realistic numbers for left and right. Both are set to 2 and that works so much better. Plus this hyphenation dictionary I can give away.
Old 12-15-2016, 05:33 PM   #60
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Another issue is the stupid setting in the Kobo supplied hyphenation dictionary. The left and right numbers are set to 5. This is why I posted the one I did because it uses realistic numbers for left and right. Both are set to 2 and that works so much better. Plus this hyphenation dictionary I can give away.
For anyone interested, I observed some problems in kepubs when this code was used in the header of the improved hyph_en.dic:
Code:
LEFTHYPHENMIN 2
RIGHTHYPHENMIN 2
COMPOUNDLEFTHYPHENMIN 2
COMPOUNDRIGHTHYPHENMIN 2
I had to change mine to:
Code:
LEFTHYPHENMIN 2
RIGHTHYPHENMIN 3
COMPOUNDLEFTHYPHENMIN 2
COMPOUNDRIGHTHYPHENMIN 3
Without the change I saw things like this in kepubs. Standard epubs may not have the same problem:
Code:
She picked up her camer-
a, keys and purse.