Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 01-31-2022, 09:09 AM   #2071
Deobulakenyo
Guru
Deobulakenyo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deobulakenyo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deobulakenyo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deobulakenyo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deobulakenyo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deobulakenyo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deobulakenyo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deobulakenyo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deobulakenyo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deobulakenyo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deobulakenyo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Boyue Likebook P78
Quote:
Originally Posted by BatteryPowered View Post
I actually like having (digital) clocks on my devices, a simple small clock during reading would be fine. No massive customization options needed in my opinion.

The Kobo devices already do an NTP sync during the daily sync routine so can have a quite accurate clock.

Maybe the Kobo employees aren't here anymore but I know for a fact Mobileread does quite well with the average Google search.

One can only hope.
There is a nanoclock
Deobulakenyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2022, 09:38 PM   #2072
MGlitch
Wizard
MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Kobo Sage, Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by BatteryPowered View Post
I actually like having (digital) clocks on my devices, a simple small clock during reading would be fine. No massive customization options needed in my opinion.

The Kobo devices already do an NTP sync during the daily sync routine so can have a quite accurate clock.

Maybe the Kobo employees aren't here anymore but I know for a fact Mobileread does quite well with the average Google search.

One can only hope.
Why hope? You can submit feedback on Kobos site for features you’d like. No need to hope a developer sees a post, the company will get the feedback. Though they may or may not act on said feedback.
MGlitch is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2022, 04:23 AM   #2073
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Is anyone with a Sage running firmware 4.31 and using Nickel? If so, how is the battery life compared to 4.30?
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2022, 07:28 AM   #2074
agugu
Enthusiast
agugu began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Sage
Is this possible that we can set contrast for CBZ(manga or comics)????
agugu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2022, 04:57 AM   #2075
Koboder
Koboder is a glorious beacon of lightKoboder is a glorious beacon of lightKoboder is a glorious beacon of lightKoboder is a glorious beacon of lightKoboder is a glorious beacon of lightKoboder is a glorious beacon of lightKoboder is a glorious beacon of lightKoboder is a glorious beacon of lightKoboder is a glorious beacon of lightKoboder is a glorious beacon of lightKoboder is a glorious beacon of light

Device: Kobo Libra 2 & Kobo Elipsa
Angry Kobo Libra 2 firmaware 4.31.19086 bug

After last update (4.31.19086) if you turn off Kobo Libra2 with Wi-Fi switched off, Kobo will freeze at start up.
Same problem on three different Kobo Libra2. I think it is a bug.
Koboder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2022, 10:03 PM   #2076
Burblebup
Enthusiast
Burblebup began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Sage
I'm sure someone else has mentioned this, but Kobo, please update your PDF reader for better functionality. Seriously. Specifically, add a zoom lock function. It's plain ridiculous that you can zoom in to crop the margins and have bigger text, but not maintain the position. I know there are other options (I tried koreader but didn't really like the interface), but my needs are not so sophisticated, and something so basic should really be included by default. I bought a Sage, and the ability to view PDFs on a larger screen is one of the main reasons to buy this model.
Burblebup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2022, 04:56 AM   #2077
dancog
dancog knows what's going on.dancog knows what's going on.dancog knows what's going on.dancog knows what's going on.dancog knows what's going on.dancog knows what's going on.dancog knows what's going on.dancog knows what's going on.dancog knows what's going on.dancog knows what's going on.dancog knows what's going on.

Device: two PRS-350s, KOBO Glo HD, Claris, Aura ONE
Disable reading stats

A google search shows that many people dislike this 'feature'. I am one of them. Reading is not a test or a competition. For some of us it is not a social activity at all. Please just give us the option to turn it off.
dancog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2022, 07:59 AM   #2078
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by dancog View Post
A google search shows that many people dislike this 'feature'. I am one of them. Reading is not a test or a competition. For some of us it is not a social activity at all. Please just give us the option to turn it off.
What's the issue? The reading stats are never shown to you unless you ask. You have to go to the "More" tab and tap "Activity". Not exactly in your face forcing you to read faster.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2022, 12:12 PM   #2079
RobertJSawyer
Guru
RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Clara 2E, and Clara HD; Kindle PaperWhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by Koboder View Post
After last update (4.31.19086) if you turn off Kobo Libra2 with Wi-Fi switched off, Kobo will freeze at start up.
Same problem on three different Kobo Libra2. I think it is a bug.
It is indeed. This fixed the problem for me (until Kobo actually fixes it):

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...&postcount=489
RobertJSawyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2022, 05:28 AM   #2080
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertJSawyer View Post
It is indeed. This fixed the problem for me (until Kobo actually fixes it):

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...&postcount=489
Another solution is to install 4.30 and then install the following patch.

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...78#post4204678

That will stop you getting 4.31 when you sync and/or use Pocket. IT has a stern warning with it, but others have been using it with no problem. It just means when there is a new firmware, you'll have to manually install it.
Old 03-22-2022, 10:37 AM   #2081
talaivan
Groupie
talaivan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.talaivan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.talaivan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.talaivan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.talaivan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.talaivan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.talaivan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.talaivan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.talaivan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.talaivan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.talaivan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony prs-505
It would be wonderful if the Elipsa allowed one to adjust the width and color for the stylus when editing pdf's. This can't be that hard to do.
talaivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2022, 06:03 PM   #2082
abikyoukan
abikyoukan began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
I sent a DM to the Kobo Help team on twitter about this and is supposedly with the development team but decided to post here just in case someone sees this. Worth a try.

I use my device in Japanese and when using my kobo with PDF files, when using a dictionary in words, I cant select the whole word. Long pressing a word, only shows me the definition of one character and not the entire word.

This works with epubs books normally because I can select the word appropriately, however with pdf it doesn't give me an option to select the size of the word. Following is a quick video demonstrating this.
With epubs, regardless of the orientation, I can select the size of the word appropriately. As seen here

Would love to see this fixed since even though I used a PDF file with pictures and selectable text, it doesn't work with a pdf file with pure text.

Thanks in advance and sorry for my poor english.
abikyoukan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2022, 09:34 PM   #2083
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by abikyoukan View Post
I sent a DM to the Kobo Help team on twitter about this and is supposedly with the development team but decided to post here just in case someone sees this. Worth a try.

I use my device in Japanese and when using my kobo with PDF files, when using a dictionary in words, I cant select the whole word. Long pressing a word, only shows me the definition of one character and not the entire word.

This works with epubs books normally because I can select the word appropriately, however with pdf it doesn't give me an option to select the size of the word. Following is a quick video demonstrating this.
With epubs, regardless of the orientation, I can select the size of the word appropriately. As seen here

Would love to see this fixed since even though I used a PDF file with pictures and selectable text, it doesn't work with a pdf file with pure text.

Thanks in advance and sorry for my poor english.
I think you will be out of luck on this for two reasons.

Firstly, Kobo does not support word selection in PDFs at all. And if you cannot select a word, then you cannot do a dictionary lookup. Though this appears to have changed for at least the Sage and probably the Elipsa. These allow markup in PDFs using the stylus. When doing that, they use a different PDF viewer that apparently allows dictionary lookup for individual words when using your finger. But, it does not allow selection of multiple words or other highlighting. I don't think this PDF viewer is used on the non-stylus enabled devices. It isn't on my Libra H2O running the firmware version 4.33.19608. And it is not used for PDFs with DRM protection.

Secondly, that looks like a PDF made up of images. Unless there is also a text overlay for the text within the PDF, there will be no selection of the text in any application. Without the overlay, the viewer would need to be able to do OCR on the image. That just isn't going to happen in these devices.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2022, 07:02 PM   #2084
abikyoukan
abikyoukan began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
I think you will be out of luck on this for two reasons.

Firstly, Kobo does not support word selection in PDFs at all. And if you cannot select a word, then you cannot do a dictionary lookup. Though this appears to have changed for at least the Sage and probably the Elipsa. These allow markup in PDFs using the stylus. When doing that, they use a different PDF viewer that apparently allows dictionary lookup for individual words when using your finger. But, it does not allow selection of multiple words or other highlighting. I don't think this PDF viewer is used on the non-stylus enabled devices. It isn't on my Libra H2O running the firmware version 4.33.19608. And it is not used for PDFs with DRM protection.

Secondly, that looks like a PDF made up of images. Unless there is also a text overlay for the text within the PDF, there will be no selection of the text in any application. Without the overlay, the viewer would need to be able to do OCR on the image. That just isn't going to happen in these devices.
Thanks for the reply!
As mentioned before, yea this is a specific PDF generated for text lookups. You can look more into it here https://github.com/Kartoffel0/Mokuro2Pdf.
Do you have any idea if theres any customized PDF reader worth installing for this to happen? Because I did try with normal text pdfs and I can select the text with no problem at all when its an English PDF. Seems like this a problem only with Japanese text.
abikyoukan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2022, 07:39 PM   #2085
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by abikyoukan View Post
Thanks for the reply!
As mentioned before, yea this is a specific PDF generated for text lookups. You can look more into it here https://github.com/Kartoffel0/Mokuro2Pdf.
Do you have any idea if theres any customized PDF reader worth installing for this to happen? Because I did try with normal text pdfs and I can select the text with no problem at all when its an English PDF. Seems like this a problem only with Japanese text.
You could give KOReader a go.

Tags
feature requests, firmware, kobo