Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 09-07-2019, 03:13 PM   #1
Amon_Re
Zealot
Amon_Re is less competitive than you.Amon_Re is less competitive than you.Amon_Re is less competitive than you.Amon_Re is less competitive than you.Amon_Re is less competitive than you.Amon_Re is less competitive than you.Amon_Re is less competitive than you.Amon_Re is less competitive than you.Amon_Re is less competitive than you.Amon_Re is less competitive than you.Amon_Re is less competitive than you.

Device: Kobo Elipsa, Poketbook Inkpad 3 & Boyue Likebook Minas
7,8" eReader with SD card for manga

I'm currently using a Kobo Aura ONE but I' finding the available storage space to be somewhat limiting. I'm thinking of getting a replacement device with SD card but having a hard time picking one.

The InkPad 3 seems to be the best bang for the buck but I can't really find much discussing reading manga on it. I assume I'll need to convert my manga to epub instead of kepub as I do now but that's all I know.

There are a few other devices that look interesting such as those by Boox and Likebook but I know even less about those except that the bigger the device, the pricier. the Likebook Mimas does look tempting though...
Amon_Re is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2019, 02:07 PM   #2
Amon_Re
Zealot
Amon_Re is less competitive than you.Amon_Re is less competitive than you.Amon_Re is less competitive than you.Amon_Re is less competitive than you.Amon_Re is less competitive than you.Amon_Re is less competitive than you.Amon_Re is less competitive than you.Amon_Re is less competitive than you.Amon_Re is less competitive than you.Amon_Re is less competitive than you.Amon_Re is less competitive than you.

decided on the Likebook Mimas
Advert
Old 09-09-2019, 03:09 PM   #3
Tony1988
Guru
Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony prs-350
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amon_Re View Post
decided on the Likebook Mimas
Cool. Good luck with it
Tony1988 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2019, 01:40 PM   #4
Michal Jancik
Sorry for my English
Michal Jancik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michal Jancik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michal Jancik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michal Jancik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michal Jancik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michal Jancik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michal Jancik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michal Jancik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michal Jancik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michal Jancik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michal Jancik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KOBO Libra H2O, Clara HD, Inkpad 3 & Inkpad 4, BOOX Nova Pro
Pocketbook Inkpad 3 + aplication "pbimageviewer."

The price is favorable and for the stated need quite enough. I think the price is extra for something else.
Likebook Mimas is much heavier against Inkpad 3 and costs twice as much.
Inkpad 3 is also much better battery life, it is better portable.

Last edited by Michal Jancik; 09-23-2019 at 01:56 PM.
Michal Jancik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2019, 05:30 PM   #5
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Hopefully you've not yet purchased the Likebook. Here is a video cmparing the likebook to the Onyx Book Note Pro.

JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-24-2019, 05:57 AM   #6
Michal Jancik
Sorry for my English
Michal Jancik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michal Jancik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michal Jancik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michal Jancik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michal Jancik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michal Jancik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michal Jancik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michal Jancik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michal Jancik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michal Jancik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michal Jancik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KOBO Libra H2O, Clara HD, Inkpad 3 & Inkpad 4, BOOX Nova Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Hopefully you've not yet purchased the Likebook. Here is a video cmparing the likebook to the Onyx Book Note Pro.
I agree.
"BOOX" has better optimized SW how "Likebook". Still, reading only "MANGA" seems to me a lot of money.
I also think That Likebook has a heavy enough weight for a comfortable reading (431g half kilo) .
* If you already "LikeBook", I would prefer to choose "LikeBook Alita" even if it does not have mechanical buttons.

Manga format ~ "7.8". Buying a device nearly 10 inch and more device seems to me expensive excess.
Manga, as I mentioned before, I read on "Pocketbook Inkpad 3" (or KOBO Forma how alternative) and it's more than enough. Good contrast, 300dpi, light, battery life, good price. Paying almost twice as much seems to me superfluous.

ps: That's better "eOneBook Manga Reader"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mlmpan-Ywxk

Last edited by Michal Jancik; 09-24-2019 at 09:29 AM.
Michal Jancik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2019, 01:48 PM   #7
Amon_Re
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michal Jancik View Post
Pocketbook Inkpad 3 + aplication "pbimageviewer."

The price is favorable and for the stated need quite enough. I think the price is extra for something else.
Likebook Mimas is much heavier against Inkpad 3 and costs twice as much.
Inkpad 3 is also much better battery life, it is better portable.
I couldn't find much information on the Inkpad 3 regarding comics & manga at the time but it was a contender

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post

I looked at them both but finally settled on the LikeBook Minas, so far the experience has been solid. There are some small niggles I noticed with the software (eg: deleting a book and later copying it again to the device doesn't show the cover) but no deal breakers.

Quote:
I agree.
"BOOX" has better optimized SW how "Likebook". Still, reading only "MANGA" seems to me a lot of money.
It's not the only use case but the most common one. I also read a lot of technical ebooks and some pdf's.

Quote:
I also think That Likebook has a heavy enough weight for a comfortable reading (431g half kilo) .
* If you already "LikeBook", I would prefer to choose "LikeBook Alita" even if it does not have mechanical buttons.
I've had the LikeBook Minas for a few weeks now, the weight doesn't really bother me.

Quote:
Manga format ~ "7.8". Buying a device nearly 10 inch and more device seems to me expensive excess.
Manga, as I mentioned before, I read on "Pocketbook Inkpad 3" (or KOBO Forma how alternative) and it's more than enough. Good contrast, 300dpi, light, battery life, good price. Paying almost twice as much seems to me superfluous.
I have a Kobo AURA One that served me well but storage space was too limiting. Sadly the 32GB models are not on sale in my country nor any of the trusted importers I tend to use. Warranty also played a role in my decision to go with the LikeBook Minas.

Quote:
ps: That's better "eOneBook Manga Reader"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mlmpan-Ywxk
I do love me some Hokuto no Ken but that thing is severely limited in use
Old 09-26-2019, 05:50 PM   #8
Marinolino
Groupie
Marinolino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marinolino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marinolino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marinolino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marinolino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marinolino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marinolino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marinolino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marinolino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marinolino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marinolino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura-One (using KOReader app), Boox Note-3, iPad(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amon_Re View Post

I have a Kobo AURA One that served me well but storage space was too limiting. Sadly the 32GB models are not on sale in my country nor any of the trusted importers I tend to use. Warranty also played a role in my decision to go with the LikeBook Minas.
We can use cheaper wireless wi-fi memory sticks, wi-fi media drives, wi-fi SD readers etc. if we need a portable lightweight memory for our eink readers and tablets low on the storage memory.

If our reader/tablet uses android/ios we can use a corresponding app (for our wi-fi stick), or we can simply use its web browser by entering a given network address therein (of our wi-fi stick).

Those wi-fi memories create their own wi-fi network (access point), so, there is no need for another existing wi-fi network or internet connection nor any kind of wired connection like over usb ports.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s?k=SanDisk...qf_sp_sr_il_tl

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Verbatim-49...PD2Z5S6426VYCP

Last edited by Marinolino; 09-27-2019 at 10:30 AM.
Marinolino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2019, 10:24 AM   #9
rowe
Zealot
rowe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rowe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rowe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rowe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rowe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rowe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rowe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rowe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rowe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rowe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rowe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Hi Reader Pro, Page, Tab Ultra C, Mira, Dasung Paperlike Colour
Good call. Android definitely the way to go for Manga fans IMO (I'm a past Kindle and Pocketbook owner).

I use a 6" Poke Pro, which is great. I got the 8" Nova Pro for my son and was disappointed that the screen is noticeably less sharp - which I'm pretty sure is due to the glass screen difference for this model.

Can highly recommend Tachiyomi as your manga manager/reader.
rowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2019, 03:41 PM   #10
Amon_Re
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by rowe View Post
Can highly recommend Tachiyomi as your manga manager/reader.
Can't seem to fin Tachiyomi on play store but all my manga are in .epub format so the native epub reader seems to be doing okay
Old 10-21-2019, 05:59 AM   #11
rowe
Zealot
rowe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rowe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rowe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rowe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rowe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rowe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rowe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rowe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rowe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rowe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rowe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Hi Reader Pro, Page, Tab Ultra C, Mira, Dasung Paperlike Colour
No, Tachiyomi isn't on the Play Store. There's a download on their site:
https://tachiyomi.org

The big advantage is you can directly access lots of online catalogues via Tachiyomi and the app handles all the management e.g. downloading new chapters as they appear on a catalogue.
rowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2019, 12:43 PM   #12
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
I made a wiki page for Tachiyomi. Feel free to enhance it.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote