Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

Old 08-30-2019, 07:57 PM   #1
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
"New" Glowlight+ (2015) impressions

I received a Nook Glowlight Plus (2015, original) from Shop Goodwill. The reader, itself, is in nice condition — the Nook case is pretty worn, so I guess it did its job.

My impressions.

Hardware: Nice weight and size. Feels slick (and cold) but the quality seems high. I don't mind the power button being on the left side (easier to use than Kindle readers with the power button on the bottom). Screen is very nice. A very white background. Maybe a little too bright (more later). Fonts are sharp (especially when using the "thicker" font option). Response (after the upgrade) seems good. Page turning is fast as any reader (with the possible exception of the Kindles). Navigation, highlighting, using the dictionary works well. Books load quickly (before the update the dots went on for a while, now they almost don't appear). The only "laggy" holdover is the when hitting the Nook "N" button. It takes about 2 (maybe 2.5) seconds to get from your book to your home page. Otherwise I'm happy with it. Touch screen is responsive and fast when reading.

Oh, I meant to mention... it seems easy to either accidentally turn pages or open the dictionary when my finger slips on to the surface — I'm going to try to find a leather case and that will, hopefully, take care of that problem.

Software: I don't think the interface is very intuitive, but it didn't take me long to get used to it. I like my Nook Simple Touch interface better. But it is what it is. The update process was a bit buggy, but I continued to try updating for two reasons, 1) Because I didn't like the update "nag" appearing at the bottom of my home page and 2) The Glowlight+ didn't work with Calibre and I was hoping this would fix it (no luck there). Once the update (4.9.5.5) finally installed I was much happier with the response of the reader. I still miss the ability to add my own fonts but I can use Calibre to embed Deja Vu Serif E-Reader or Constantia. Georgia is not bad on the "thick" setting and that's what I'll use for books I buy directly from Barnes & Noble.

One issue I've run into. When I first opened a new one book compilation (about 2,800 pages in this example) the Nook dropped back to the Home page when trying to turn pages. This happened about three times before "stabilizing." I guess its has some kind of indexing process it needs to go through. Once whatever that process is, is complete, it works fine. So just a minor annoyance (I don't have this issue on any of my other readers).

The most troublesome issue (at least for a Linux user) is that the Glowlight+ won't work with Calibre. It seems to be an MTP issue of some kind in Calibre — at least that's what the error indicates. I can connect (after the update) to my Linux Mint 19.1 computer, but if I try to run Calibre, the Glowlight+ doesn't appear. And once I've run Calibre, I can't see my Nook folders in Linux until I unmount the Glowlight+. So I created my own Books folder and (for now) just drag my books into it from the Calibre directory. They copy fast and work well. This is a minor annoyance and I will be posting the error on the Calibre forum to see if there is something that can be done.

Now, about the screen. Weirdly enough the screen, though the first true black on white eReader screen I've ever used, is not quite as easy on my eyes as the 300ppi Tolinos' grayer background. It's probably my eyes and it's not bad, but the Tolinos are slightly easier on my eyes than the Nook Glowlight+. (I've compared it to the Epos, Shine 2 HD and the Vision 4 HD.) I think for night reading the Tolinos will be better (although, technically, the Glowlight+'s screen is higher quality). I think the Glowlight+ is more like a Kindle Paperwhite here. The screen uses 5 white LEDs (mounted on top) and the there's very little "coning." It's a good quality reader.

Although the Glowlight+ does not work with Calibre I'm still very happy with it. I call it my "problem child" since it's the only reader I have that won't work with Calibre on Linux (I'm guessing it has something to do with MTP, which I wish Barnes & Noble hadn't used).

For what it's worth, that's my impression. I'll do quite a bit of reading on the Glowlight+ the next couple weeks. If I run into any major issues, I'll pass them along.

EDIT: I've discovered on oddity (and a bit of an irritant). If I'm using the Original font and go to change the font size, margins or line spacing, the reader automatically jumps to the Baskerville font. (Odd, maybe it's just with this one book, will check further.) (Checking further, it only appears to be the one book, still odd. Also, while looking for a case, it appears that this reader did not have auto shut off or turn on feature available (is that correct?). It looks like it will fit in a Fintie Kindle Portfolio (pre-2018) Paperwhite case fairly well.

Last edited by rcentros; 08-30-2019 at 09:47 PM.
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2019, 04:07 AM   #2
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcentros View Post
Software: I don't think the interface is very intuitive, but it didn't take me long to get used to it. I like my Nook Simple Touch interface better. But it is what it is.
I agree. I think the older Nook software looked better. If you look at the OS when the 2015 Plus was first released, it was an updated version of the ST software. Later, changes were made.

Quote:
The most troublesome issue (at least for a Linux user) is that the Glowlight+ won't work with Calibre. It seems to be an MTP issue of some kind in Calibre — at least that's what the error indicates.
That is odd. Are you using the most current version of Calibre?

I've never had problems connecting my Plus to Calibre on Windows 10.

Quote:
Also, while looking for a case, it appears that this reader did not have auto shut off or turn on feature available (is that correct?). It looks like it will fit in a Fintie Kindle Portfolio (pre-2018) Paperwhite case fairly well.
I don't think any of the Nooks have auto sleep.

Here's the case I'm using: Fintie Nook GlowLight Plus Case

It's a nice case. But once the case is on, the placement of the power button will become an irritant.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-02-2019, 06:51 PM   #3
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
I agree. I think the older Nook software looked better. If you look at the OS when the 2015 Plus was first released, it was an updated version of the ST software. Later, changes were made.
I think I would have liked the older software better, but it's not that big of a deal as I've gotten used to the newer interface.

Quote:
That is odd. Are you using the most current version of Calibre?

I've never had problems connecting my Plus to Calibre on Windows 10.
It's probably got something to do with Linux (or my flavor of Linux). I still haven't posted the error message on the Calibre. I'll get to it one of these days. I'm reading a in one book series on the Glowlight+ that I bought and downloaded just to see how the experience still works. Seems fine, although this book will probably never get out of the walled garden of Nookdom.

Quote:
I don't think any of the Nooks have auto sleep.

Here's the case I'm using: Fintie Nook GlowLight Plus Case

It's a nice case. But once the case is on, the placement of the power button will become an irritant.
That's the kind of Fintie case I normally buy, but I'm getting to where I like the "leather-like" Folio cases better. I found a Kindle case (the newest Paperwhite one) that fit the Tolino Vision really well. I'm hoping to do the same with the Glowlight+. (For now, though, I'll just use the Nook case that it came with, which is basically the same as the Finite case you're using, except it uses a strap instead of a magnet.)

https://www.amazon.com/Fintie-All-Ne...gateway&sr=8-9

(You can get these cases for a little over half this price on eBay, buying them directly from Fintie.)

In use with my Tolino.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190802_124147.jpg
Views:	257
Size:	773.1 KB
ID:	173199   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190802_123646.jpg
Views:	287
Size:	1.17 MB
ID:	173200  
Old 09-02-2019, 06:54 PM   #4
rcentros
eReader Wrangler

Another general observation. I've noticed that, twice now, when I've loaded longer books on my Glowlight+, it would randomly jump to the home page when I tried to turn a page. In both cases, a reboot fixed the issue. Now that I know that, the irritation is gone, but it's still a bit odd.
Old 09-02-2019, 08:00 PM   #5
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
That's the kind of Fintie case I normally buy, but I'm getting to where I like the "leather-like" Folio cases better. I found a Kindle case (the newest Paperwhite one) that fit the Tolino Vision really well. I'm hoping to do the same with the Glowlight+. (For now, though, I'll just use the Nook case that it came with, which is basically the same as the Finite case you're using, except it uses a strap instead of a magnet.)

https://www.amazon.com/Fintie-All-Ne...gateway&sr=8-9

(You can get these cases for a little over half this price on eBay, buying them directly from Fintie.)

In use with my Tolino.
I'm not a fan of the cases that put a border around the front bezel. It would distract my eye. My better half uses one on the Glwolight 3 though, so I am used to them.

Tell me how the power button feels once you put the Plus in a case. That's the worst thing about the Plus to me. I wish the power button were on the right. (More internal storage would be nice too.)
Advert
Old 09-02-2019, 08:01 PM   #6
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar

Quote:
Another general observation. I've noticed that, twice now, when I've loaded longer books on my Glowlight+, it would randomly jump to the home page when I tried to turn a page. In both cases, a reboot fixed the issue. Now that I know that, the irritation is gone, but it's still a bit odd.
Could you possibly be hitting the home button when holding the reader? With the home button on this model being capacitive, I've done that.
Old 09-03-2019, 11:55 AM   #7
rcentros
eReader Wrangler

Quote:
Tell me how the power button feels once you put the Plus in a case. That's the worst thing about the Plus to me. I wish the power button were on the right. (More internal storage would be nice too.)
The power button is easy to get to in the Nook OEM case. It's actually a pretty good case, just worn out (so much so that the Glowlight+ can basically fall out of its base if you're not careful). I may just get a Fintie like yours.

Quote:
Could you possibly be hitting the home button when holding the reader? With the home button on this model being capacitive, I've done that.
No, it's not the home button. It's jumped back to the home page when the Glowlight+ was sitting down on the table, without my hands near it at all. I meant to mention in the last post that one of the books was downloaded from Barnes & Noble via WiFi and the other was loaded from my computer — so the length seems to be the issue, not the source. In both cases a reboot fixed the problem. I originally thought the upgrade fixed the problem with the first book, but then I realized that I wasn't able to load any books from the computer until after the upgrade. It's not a big deal (an easy fix or workaround) but I find it odd.

I'll probably post my error message on the Calibre forum today and see if any one else has run into this issue on Linux (I'm pretty sure it's related to MTP and Linux).
Old 09-03-2019, 02:21 PM   #8
HDGuy
HDGuy began at the beginning.

Device: Nook Glowlight Plus (2015)
I have one of these which I use daily-

I really have no idea what a lot of the commands are for the newest firmware/software.

For example- I bookmarked the last page I was reading, and I mistakenly jumped to the table of contents (I have no idea how), and now I can't figure out how to get back to the page I was on. How do you bring up the list of bookmarks?

Is there anywhere that lists all the commands?
HDGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2019, 03:20 PM   #9
rcentros
eReader Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDGuy View Post
For example- I bookmarked the last page I was reading, and I mistakenly jumped to the table of contents (I have no idea how), and now I can't figure out how to get back to the page I was on. How do you bring up the list of bookmarks?
I don't have a list of commands (haven't read the manual) but in the Table of Contents view there's a bookmark tab. I tried a bookmark (a feature I rarely use) and was able to go right back to it from the bookmark tab.
Old 09-05-2019, 03:32 PM   #10
rcentros
eReader Wrangler

My Glowlight+ started jumping back to the Home Page a lot last night. (Was definitely at a higher irritation level than a mere nuisance.) And I have a new theory as to why. I think it has something to do with the battery charge level. It seems to start happening when my battery shows less than 50% charge. Once I plugged in to power the jump back to Home Page stopped. I have it fully charged now and haven't noticed the issue. There's a message when it does this, but it flashes off so quickly I can never read it. I may have to replace the battery. It seems to take a good charge but I've got a feeling it's not putting out a high enough voltage at a lower charge level.

Anyone have this issue with one of these Glowlight+s (2015 version)?

EDIT: Not the battery. Reboot has "fixed" it again.

Last edited by rcentros; 09-05-2019 at 07:11 PM.
Old 09-05-2019, 06:21 PM   #11
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar

Quote:
My Glowlight+ started jumping back to the Home Page a lot last night. (Was definitely at a higher irritation level than a mere nuisance.) And I have a new theory as to why. I think it has something to do with the battery charge level. It seems to start happening when my battery shows less than 50% charge. Once I plugged in to power the jump back to Home Page stopped. I have it fully charged now and haven't noticed the issue. There's a message when it does this, but it flashes off so quickly I can never read it. I may have to replace the battery. It seems to take a good charge but I've got a feeling it's not putting out a high enough voltage at a lower charge level.

Anyone have this issue with one of these Glowlight+s (2015 version)?
I wonder if it could be errors in the epub itself? You said these are large books, right?
Old 09-05-2019, 07:09 PM   #12
rcentros
eReader Wrangler

Quote:
I wonder if it could be errors in the epub itself? You said these are large books, right?
It could be. Shouldn't be, but could be. It turns out it's not the battery. Reboot "fixed" it again. It must be corruption in the memory (or book) of some kind. Wish I could read the error message. Maybe I should check to see if these Glowlights keep an error log.

EDIT: No log available. At least not without rooting.

EDIT 2: None of this is a "deal breaker" for me. I like the Glowlight+ quite a bit. Just tinkering. It very well could be the book. I'm about done with it, so I'll see if this follows me to the next book.

Last edited by rcentros; 09-05-2019 at 07:26 PM.
Old 09-06-2019, 11:03 AM   #13
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar

Quote:
...It very well could be the book. I'm about done with it, so I'll see if this follows me to the next book.
I do hope it is the specific book. Unlike my Glowlight 3, my Glowlight Plus has been solid and dependable (though I have been getting 'unfortunately nook.com has stopped' when I try to update).
Old 09-20-2019, 02:40 AM   #14
rcentros
eReader Wrangler

Just an update... I was able to access my Glowlight Plus (2015) via Calibre on a computer running Linux Mint 18.x -- so this may be an issue with the new version of Linux Mint. Or maybe it works because it's an older version of Calibre (my son had been using that computer for a few months, so I haven't updated Calibre in about 8 months).