Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

Old 10-19-2019, 10:55 PM   #136
HLS
Wizard
HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sage, Scribe, Boox Note 2 Plus, iPad Pros and Samsungs S6,S7,S8
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Cover. Sleeves are really useless. And with a cover, it's easier to hold.
I am on the fence with sleeves. Cases are better but I like to read without the case
HLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2019, 11:59 PM   #137
Kaysclie
Addict
Kaysclie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kaysclie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kaysclie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kaysclie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kaysclie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kaysclie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kaysclie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kaysclie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kaysclie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kaysclie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kaysclie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Forma, Aura One,Ipad Pro 10.5, Oasis 3
I read my Nook glowlight plus 7.8 without a cover and put it into its sleeve when I am done. I do like the feel of it without a cover and do not find it heavy. Sure it weighs more than the forma or Oasis, but it is not Heavy. I find it quite comfortable to hold and prefer its screen to the others....and I do have the Oasis and Forma. Just my preference. Now you can probably find one in their stores to hold and try out.
Kaysclie is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-20-2019, 08:22 AM   #138
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirtel View Post
Bookstooge has the 1st gen Oasis, which is a lot lighter than the 7'' Oasis. Besides, people are different. I certainly noticed the weight difference between the Nook and my other ereaders, including the 7'' Oasis. The Nook is almost too heavy for me. If a person is sensitive to the weight of an ereader, then the weight of the Nook should not be ignored.

That said, it's of course possible to get used to the extra weight. I did. But again, people are different.
The first gen Oasis is awful. To make the internal battery way too weak and then supplement it with a battery cover was just the dumbest idea ever for a Reader.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2019, 08:30 AM   #139
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HLS View Post
I am on the fence with sleeves. Cases are better but I like to read without the case
A sleeve is a hassle. You have to remove the Reader from the sleeve to use it and then put it back when done. Plus, you have no protection while the Reader is out of the sleeve. Another thing is that it's easier to hold while in a case.

And unless the sleeve is a rigid sleeve, it won't give all that much protection while say in your bag or pack. And a sleeve is will not wake your Reader. You will have to do so with the power button.

To me, there are too many downsides to a sleeve. Most sleeves are useless and the ones that are not are too big.
Old 10-20-2019, 09:08 AM   #140
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
A sleeve is a hassle. You have to remove the Reader from the sleeve to use it and then put it back when done. Plus, you have no protection while the Reader is out of the sleeve. Another thing is that it's easier to hold while in a case.
On the other hand, the reader is lighter without the case and one of the advantages of wide bezels is that it makes it easier to hold the Nook without using a case.

I like to take my Sony T2 out of the case when reading in a lighted room because it's so small and light and comfortable to hold that way.

But, generally, I like cases because I've occasionally dropped my readers while reading.
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-20-2019, 04:17 PM   #141
Bookstooge
Guru
Bookstooge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookstooge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookstooge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookstooge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookstooge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookstooge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookstooge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookstooge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookstooge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookstooge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookstooge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 1st Gen
Quote:
I say go to a B&N store and play with a model. To me nook feels more like a book esp. when in a BN case. Also I’m sure yo can return if you had to order online
I've been thinking about that to be honest. Maybe if things slow down before new years.
Bookstooge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2019, 07:48 PM   #142
brianca
Enthusiast
brianca can differentiate black from dark navy bluebrianca can differentiate black from dark navy bluebrianca can differentiate black from dark navy bluebrianca can differentiate black from dark navy bluebrianca can differentiate black from dark navy bluebrianca can differentiate black from dark navy bluebrianca can differentiate black from dark navy bluebrianca can differentiate black from dark navy bluebrianca can differentiate black from dark navy bluebrianca can differentiate black from dark navy bluebrianca can differentiate black from dark navy blue

Device: Kobo Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookstooge View Post
I've been thinking about that to be honest. Maybe if things slow down before new years.
I hope you have better luck than me! I went to the Union Square store in NYC yesterday and both the demos were unusable, the GL3 showing the dead battery message in spite of being (ostensibly) plugged in, and the GL plus stuck in an endless restart loop which I couldn’t get it out of. And not an employee to be found, even after I went to the cafe and got a coffee and came back. I really wanted to support them but man, they can make it difficult.
brianca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2019, 01:23 PM   #143
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Another thing is that it's easier to hold while in a case.
One thing about those bezels you complain about on the Glowlight 3: it is very easy and comfortable to hold without a case.

Quote:
And a sleeve is will not wake your Reader. You will have to do so with the power button.
So far as I know, Nook doesn't support a sleepcover. I wish they did, but my ST, Plus (2015) and 3 don't. Unless something has changed with the 2019 Plus.
ZodWallop is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2019, 06:53 PM   #144
HLS
Wizard
HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:

And unless the sleeve is a rigid sleeve, it won't give all that much protection while say in your bag or pack. And a sleeve is will not wake your Reader. You will have to do so with the power button.

To me, there are too many downsides to a sleeve. Most sleeves are useless and the ones that are not are too big.
Even with case I like to pop it out and hold the real device as I read
Old 10-27-2019, 06:57 PM   #145
HLS
Wizard

I continue to amaze myself on how much I like my Nook 7.8" We had a warm day today and I took it to the park and read for a while. I do wish the bezel was a little slimmer on top/bottom but it is not a big bother. I love the feel of the device in my hands. It was fast and responsive and had a good day with it. I do wish Kindle had an oasis that was as big.
Old 10-27-2019, 06:58 PM   #146
HLS
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
One thing about those bezels you complain about on the Glowlight 3: it is very easy and comfortable to hold without a case.

So far as I know, Nook doesn't support a sleepcover. I wish they did, but my ST, Plus (2015) and 3 don't. Unless something has changed with the 2019 Plus.
I believe you are right. the cover does not wake/sleep. I have the Nook branded cover and there is no sleep/wake. To be honest I like and prefer the ability to turn it on/off with a button
Old 10-27-2019, 07:21 PM   #147
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcentros View Post
On the other hand, the reader is lighter without the case and one of the advantages of wide bezels is that it makes it easier to hold the Nook without using a case.

I like to take my Sony T2 out of the case when reading in a lighted room because it's so small and light and comfortable to hold that way.

But, generally, I like cases because I've occasionally dropped my readers while reading.
Not that much lighter with today's cases. And with some cases, the Reader fits snugly enough that it easier to leave it in the case.

I find I don't notice the weight of the case and it's easier to hold. Plus, I don't have the issue of the magnets causing sleeping/waking while putting the H2O back in the case. It's just easier to leave it be and get used to holding it with the case on.
Old 10-27-2019, 07:29 PM   #148
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianca View Post
I hope you have better luck than me! I went to the Union Square store in NYC yesterday and both the demos were unusable, the GL3 showing the dead battery message in spite of being (ostensibly) plugged in, and the GL plus stuck in an endless restart loop which I couldn’t get it out of. And not an employee to be found, even after I went to the cafe and got a coffee and came back. I really wanted to support them but man, they can make it difficult.
Time to leave B&N and go over to Amazon to buy a Kobo.
Old 10-27-2019, 07:32 PM   #149
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
Nope. The bezel on the nook ST is rubbery and does not feel all that good to hold without a case.

Quote:
That's an excellent reason to stay away from older nook Readers and if you don't want a 7.8" screen, then looking elsewhere is a good idea.

Last edited by JSWolf; 10-27-2019 at 07:41 PM.
Old 10-27-2019, 07:42 PM   #150
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
I believe you are right. the cover does not wake/sleep. I have the Nook branded cover and there is no sleep/wake. To be honest I like and prefer the ability to turn it on/off with a button
And then the button wears out a lot faster.