Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 10-16-2019, 12:07 AM   #1
leebase
Karma Kameleon
leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, iPhone X, Kindle Fire Tab HD 8, Walmart Onn
Actually Bought A Book

Did something I hadn't in years....went to a book store. My brother-in-law was having a party for his 70th birthday and he's a reader, and I waited until the last minute to buy him a gift. So off to the book store I go.

I'm so glad the book store is still there (it's a Barnes and Noble). Poor thing wouldn't be in business at all if it were up to my patronage.

It was nice being able to browse for a book. Nicer than browsing Amazon. There is something about SEEING a book. You aren't supposed to judge a book by it's cover...but I certainly do respond to the physical-ness of a book...including the cover.

There was this AWESOME looking edition of Dune...very beautiful. I wanted to buy it for him but he doesn't like sci-fi...and I was tempted anyway because it's my all time favorite book.

I bought Hamilton, which I was specifically looking for. Had no idea how large that book was...as my copy is on my iPad. No wonder it's taken so long to read.

I bought another interesting history book (he likes histories) that I hadn't heard of, but saw it when browsing. Hope it's a good book. There were no "Amazon ratings" to read (and I didn't use my phone).

They even gift wrapped the books. It's much nicer to give a physical book that you picked out for someone than a gift card for them to buy the book themselves. Not saying HE might not have rather picked out his own books. But for me, having a physical gift to give that showed I thought about him...was important.

THEN....wouldn't you know it...I bought two more actual books the very next week. My daughter has decided to give "learning computers" a shot as a career path. I have video training tutorials...and she's using them, but she said "Dad, I like books". So I bought her a couple from Amazon and they showed up in 2 days.

And so I go to read one myself. Oh man. I do NOT like to READ physical books. Thick, heavy. My chair isn't situated to where there is good lighting. I can't change the font size. It's awkward when you are on the "thin side" of a think book and the pages bend over a curve. The basic annoyances of reading a physical book which I experienced but never thought much about when I only had physical books to read.

Still...in all...it was nice to remember that there is value in the physicality of a book. I see why some of you consider them "home decorations".

But for me....give me an ebook and an iPad.
leebase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2019, 08:49 AM   #2
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Surface Pro 6 / Galaxy Tab A 8"
I used to love browsing bookstores. When I was traveling for a living I would try to hit every book store in the area I was in. I would have so many books in my suitcases, after a few weeks, that I would box up the ones I had read and ship them home.
Now, I do not enjoy browsing bookstores, even when I find them. The last time I was in a Barnes and Noble and a Books A Million they seemed more like a toy store to me. Science Fiction/Fantasy has been shrunk down to five book cases and even General Fiction has fewer rows of bookcases. To me it is sad that you walk into a 26,000 square foot book store and maybe 35% is actually books.
Apache
Apache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2019, 10:15 AM   #3
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
I used to like to browse Independent Book stores because THEY were different.

The problem (my view) with chain stores, is they are pretty much run from the HQ, so what you find is probably just due to layout differences between (same brand) locations.
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2019, 10:40 AM   #4
Tony1988
Guru
Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony prs-350
Well glad you visited one last time....lol....soon bookstores will pretty much be a thing of the past....
Tony1988 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2019, 10:50 AM   #5
ps67
Guru
ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Kobo Elipsa, Pocketbook Color PB633, Inkpad Color
I still like to visit bookshop but I prefer to read on my Kobo. And if I own a file the book is more "mine", it seems stupid but I can manipulate a file, not a "real" book.

Of course not every book can be read on a Kobo: obvious exceptions are art books and other great format books with maps, photos etc.

Last edited by ps67; 10-16-2019 at 01:22 PM.
ps67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2019, 11:57 AM   #6
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
I rememeber back when I was younger and we had Waldenbooks. They had free book clubs. You picked the genres you were interested in and got a card for the genres. You got 10% off if you bought so much and 15% off if you bought more. They eventually did away with these clubs, but the cards were still valid. It was fun to go buy some books and the staff trying to figure out how my card worked and how to ring up the purchase.

Back when, a Borders opened up near my mom and I used to give her a gift card. So liked the gift cards. She could go to Borders and buy what she wanted. Then eventually, she moved to reading on a Reader and I would get her eBooks from the library or I would buy some of the books she wanted to read. I had her laptop setup with Calibre and Teamviewer. I would have her plug in the Reader (Sony) and one Calibre saw it I was able to access her Calibre and do what needed to be done to sort out her eBooks. I enjoyed helping mom. She did like to read and I took after her in that regard.

Yes, I was able to spend too much time browsing bookstores. I still do sometimes. But not as much and for not nearly as long. I do so to get a recommendation of what I might want t read. Places like Amazon and Kobo are not all that great for finding something to read if you are going in with nothing in mind.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2019, 01:36 PM   #7
Gardenman
Wizard
Gardenman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gardenman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gardenman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gardenman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gardenman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gardenman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gardenman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gardenman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gardenman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gardenman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gardenman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony prs-350,Nook HD+, Kindle 2nd gen, kindle keyboard
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apache View Post
I used to love browsing bookstores. When I was traveling for a living I would try to hit every book store in the area I was in. I would have so many books in my suitcases, after a few weeks, that I would box up the ones I had read and ship them home.
Now, I do not enjoy browsing bookstores, even when I find them. The last time I was in a Barnes and Noble and a Books A Million they seemed more like a toy store to me. Science Fiction/Fantasy has been shrunk down to five book cases and even General Fiction has fewer rows of bookcases. To me it is sad that you walk into a 26,000 square foot book store and maybe 35% is actually books.
Apache
In my local Barnes and Noble you used to be able to sit and read. They had a dozen chairs. Now they have taken all the chairs out except 2.
Gardenman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2019, 03:53 PM   #8
Tarana
Wizard
Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PWSE, Voyage, K3, HDX, KBasic 7 & 8, Nook Glo3, Echos, Nanos
I truly miss books and was reminded of it today when I looked at a pdf file for a book (horror Storybundle). All that formatting is so lovely and I just miss it, but the reality is that I can't read it. I have to go for function rather than beautiful typography.

I remember those chairs in B&N. I think I bought at least 60% of the books and magazines that I sat down to look at. Occasionally, I got a coffee while perusing too. I don't even have the excuse to go look at and buy a new calendar as my sister brings one every year now.
Tarana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2019, 05:54 AM   #9
drofgnal
Wizard
drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Ipad Pro/Kindle Oasis 3/iPhone 13 Pro Max
I have a Barnes and Noble near work. Sometimes for lunch, I'll take my sandwich, get a cup of coffee and browse books. Like the OP, I too like to browse book stores, but if I find something I like, I'll snap a picture and buy the ebook later. I don't think I've bought a physical new book in years. I just recently retired (back still working as a consultant) and I'm trying to downsize. I just recently gave a whole book shelf of books a way, that I'm tired of keeping around. I kept textbooks, nonfiction, and classic fiction, the rest went out the door.

I also like browsing used book stores. I have picked up a few OOP books in those that are not ebooks.
drofgnal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2019, 05:09 PM   #10
Scarpad
Addict
Scarpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scarpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scarpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scarpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scarpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scarpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scarpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scarpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scarpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scarpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scarpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apache View Post
Apache

I agree they devote morespace to funko pops
Scarpad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2019, 08:23 AM   #11
HolyAura
Groupie
HolyAura ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HolyAura ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HolyAura ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HolyAura ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HolyAura ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HolyAura ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HolyAura ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HolyAura ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HolyAura ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HolyAura ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HolyAura ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD
I used to go to the bookstore every week until I heard about ereaders.
HolyAura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2019, 09:25 AM   #12
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Surface Pro 6 / Galaxy Tab A 8"
The last local used bookstore closed years ago here.
Apache
Apache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2019, 06:00 PM   #13
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

@leebase, this thread is ridiculous and needs to go.

An eBook is a book. So don't start with this a pBook is a book and an eBook is not. That's just rather pathetic. You should know better by now that a Book is not just the container/
Old 10-29-2019, 06:13 PM   #14
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
@leebase, this thread is ridiculous and needs to go.

An eBook is a book. So don't start with this a pBook is a book and an eBook is not. That's just rather pathetic. You should know better by now that a Book is not just the container/
Can I ask why you've suddenly decided to go off on this thread after already responding so reasonably to it above?
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2019, 07:09 PM   #15
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
Can I ask why you've suddenly decided to go off on this thread after already responding so reasonably to it above?
Because I just realized that this thread is saying that eBooks are not real books. Saying that eBooks are not real books is just wrong.

However, you could fix the thread y changing the topic to "Actually bought a pBook" or "Actually bought a paper book"