Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader > Kobo Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 09-25-2019, 07:58 AM   #31
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
The way to get ADE page numbers is to read ePub and not kepub.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2019, 09:04 AM   #32
Knightreader
Connoisseur
Knightreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Knightreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Knightreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Knightreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Knightreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Knightreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Knightreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Knightreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Knightreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Knightreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Knightreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 1. Kobo Forma, 2. Kobo H2O Edition 2 (v1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
The way to get ADE page numbers is to read ePub and not kepub.
In Calibre all my ebooks are epub. The KoboTouchExtended plugin is configured with "Enable Extended Kobo Features" and so I got kepubs on the reader. In the past it was better (for me) reading kepub because of the chapter progress. But now I can go back to epub, because all what I want is possible with epub with the new firmware. Thanks for the push in the right direction.

Or are there other arguments for keeping the kepub transfer?

EDIT: Oh, with epub the menu for reading the progress chart is missing. But I've never intentionally used it.

Last edited by Knightreader; 09-25-2019 at 09:15 AM.
Knightreader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2019, 10:53 AM   #33
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knightreader View Post
In Calibre all my ebooks are epub. The KoboTouchExtended plugin is configured with "Enable Extended Kobo Features" and so I got kepubs on the reader. In the past it was better (for me) reading kepub because of the chapter progress. But now I can go back to epub, because all what I want is possible with epub with the new firmware. Thanks for the push in the right direction.

Or are there other arguments for keeping the kepub transfer?

EDIT: Oh, with epub the menu for reading the progress chart is missing. But I've never intentionally used it.
Yes there is, and that's one of them. There is plenty of discussion here about the advantages of the different formats.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2019, 11:55 AM   #34
Phil_C
Addict
Phil_C ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phil_C ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phil_C ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phil_C ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phil_C ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phil_C ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phil_C ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phil_C ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phil_C ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phil_C ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phil_C ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-350; Kobo Clara HD; Kobo Clara 2E
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knightreader View Post
In the KoboTouchExtended Plugin on the metadata tab I activated the subtitle with
"{#pages} Seiten" (it's in German for me) and so I find the calculated total page count in the library as subtitle and in the book detail information on the reader.
Thanks for this. I'd seen this referenced before, but couldn't figure out where to do it. The results look good.

One thing, though -- It seems that for this to work, the "Update metadata on Book Details pages" box in the driver must remain checked. This means longer processing time every time the reader is connected.

I wonder if there is another way to accomplish this in calibre when sending new books to the Kobo.
Phil_C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2019, 07:44 PM   #35
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil_C View Post
Thanks for this. I'd seen this referenced before, but couldn't figure out where to do it. The results look good.

One thing, though -- It seems that for this to work, the "Update metadata on Book Details pages" box in the driver must remain checked. This means longer processing time every time the reader is connected.

I wonder if there is another way to accomplish this in calibre when sending new books to the Kobo.
Not if you want if you want it in the subtitle. If you put it in the comments or title, using a metadata plugboard will update new books as they are sent, and the device will read this information during the import process. To use the subtitle or series, the book needs to have been imported on the device so that the updates can be made to the database. The update is fairly fast as it only makes updates where there is a difference between what is in the calibre library and what is retrieved from the database on the device when the list of books is fetched. If you send 1000 books to the device, the next time you connect it takes time. But, if you are only sending a few books at a time, it is much less noticeable.

You can also do this using the metadata update function in my Kobo Utilities plugin. With that, you can do it for selected book.
Old 09-25-2019, 08:09 PM   #36
Phil_C
Addict
Phil_C ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phil_C ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phil_C ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phil_C ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phil_C ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phil_C ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phil_C ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phil_C ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phil_C ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phil_C ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phil_C ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-350; Kobo Clara HD; Kobo Clara 2E
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
The update is fairly fast as it only makes updates where there is a difference between what is in the calibre library and what is retrieved from the database on the device when the list of books is fetched.
Thanks for clarifying this. There has been so much activity with changing firmware and patches in the two months I've had the Clara that it's been difficult for me to keep track of what's what. I will let the driver update the device on connect. I also have the subtitle template in your Utilities plugin if I want to do it that way sometimes for new books.

My Clara is now the best reader I have ever had. I appreciate all the work done by you and the patch wizards.
Phil_C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2020, 05:23 PM   #37
Flaviocc
Zealot
Flaviocc began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle PPW5 / Kobo Aura One
Quote:
For the page count in firmware 4.16.x and beyond:
  • ePubs are still using the Adobe RMSDK algorithm. Hence, a page can take more than one screen, or with a small font on a large screen, you could have more than one page.
  • kepubs per-chapter page numbering is unchanged. Each screen is counted as a page. This gets recalculated when you change the font settings.
  • kepub full book page numbering is now using the same method as the per-chapter numbering.

And for the record:
  • Before 4.16.x the kepub full book page numbering was based on 320 words per page.
  • The chapter graph shown in the Reading Progress for kepubs uses the word count.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackie_w View Post
It was never quite that straightforward. As far as I'm aware, for kepubs prior to fw 4.16.x:
  • If you had your Reading settings set to progress by Chapter then 1-page was equivalent to 1-screen and the number of pages per chapter would be recalculated every time you adjusted the font/font-size/line spacing/margins.
  • OTOH if you had your Reading setting set to progress for Entire Book the total pagecount was calculated, using some unknown mystery algorithm - but probably related to wordcount(*). This total pagecount didn't change every time you adjusted the font/font-size/line spacing/margins.

(*) Wordcount was a different mystery algorithm, e.g. when is 1-word counted as 2-words, or vice versa? Did the algorithm change for different languages?

However, all this is moot, because I think things have changed for fw 4.16 onwards. All will be as clear as mud in the fullness of time.

Sorry to update another thread with page numbers subject, but I searched here and didn't find my answer. Sometimes finding specific information is hard.

I sideload kepubs from calibre using on the fly conversion from kobo touch extended driver.

My reading settings (KA1) is:

Header - disabled

Footer - remaining pages in the book

With that setup the page number changes after 2 pages per screen.

The page number changes if I change the font, margins, line spacing.

And the page number to finish the chapter is 1 page / 1 screen.

So....what is going on here?!

Thank you for any help to clarify my setup.
Flaviocc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2020, 07:24 PM   #38
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flaviocc View Post
Sorry to update another thread with page numbers subject, but I searched here and didn't find my answer. Sometimes finding specific information is hard.

I sideload kepubs from calibre using on the fly conversion from kobo touch extended driver.

Header - disabled

Access (used to read KePub) was changed in firmware (I think) 4.19 or 4.20 to 1 page = 1 screen. If you want page numbers similar to what Access used to have, you'll have to stop reading KePub and read ePub as RMSDK uses a fixed page number that does not change with settings changes.

Also, with KePub if you don't have all of the XHTML files in the NCX ToC, then you can end up with page number issues.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2020, 09:37 PM   #39
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:

Header - disabled

Firstly, exactly what firmware version are you running? The exact behaviour might be dependent on that.

But, there seems to be a inconsistency above. The two highlighted lines don't agree. You are saying that as you page through the book, the page number only increments for every second screen, but, at the same time, you are seeing a page per screen for finishing the chapter. That doesn't make sense, though I am not completely sure I understand the second statement.

Also, are you completely sure that the books are kepub? Does the type show as "KOBO EPUB" in the library? Is the extended driver definitely installed and enabled? There are also options in the extended driver to send the book as epub if the transformation to kepub. You might be getting some as kepub, and some as epub. That might explain some of the above.
Old 06-18-2020, 11:15 AM   #40
Flaviocc
Zealot

Quote:
Firstly, exactly what firmware version are you running? The exact behaviour might be dependent on that.

But, there seems to be a inconsistency above. The two highlighted lines don't agree. You are saying that as you page through the book, the page number only increments for every second screen, but, at the same time, you are seeing a page per screen for finishing the chapter. That doesn't make sense, though I am not completely sure I understand the second statement.

Also, are you completely sure that the books are kepub? Does the type show as "KOBO EPUB" in the library? Is the extended driver definitely installed and enabled? There are also options in the extended driver to send the book as epub if the transformation to kepub. You might be getting some as kepub, and some as epub. That might explain some of the above.
David,

thank you for your answer.

Firmware version - 4.21.15015

Example of the file inside Kobo - "Gordura sem medo_ Por que a manteiga, a carne e o queijo devem fazer parte de uma dieta saudavel - Nina Teichholz.kepub.epub"

All my books are the same type of file inside KOBO - kepub.epub - this is the correct format?

The extended driver is installed and enabled correctly.

I even put the 2 files (epub - this one I see the page number on the side and I don't like - and kepub) to test the difference between them.

The reason I asked was what you mention above - "The two highlighted lines don't agree" - I didn't read this behavior anywhere here.

And yes, what I said is what you wrote: "as you page through the book, the page number only increments for every second screen (footer), but, at the same time, you are seeing a page per screen for finishing the chapter (if enabled at header)."

If I can provide more information, to know what happens here, pls tell me.

Jon,

and how verify if I have this problem?

Thank you guys.
Old 06-18-2020, 08:46 PM   #41
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Example of the file inside Kobo - "Gordura sem medo_ Por que a manteiga, a carne e o queijo devem fazer parte de uma dieta saudavel - Nina Teichholz.kepub.epub"

All my books are the same type of file inside KOBO - kepub.epub - this is the correct format?
The file name says the book is a kepub. I is still worth checking that it is listed as a kepub when you look at the book in the list. I have never heard of this not to happen, but, I would always check when there is strange behaviour.
Quote:
The extended driver is installed and enabled correctly.
What I was talking about happens when there is a problem in the book that making the kepub doesn't work. There is an option that will allow the epub to be sent so that you have the book on the device. When that happen, it means the driver is working as designed.
Quote:
I even put the 2 files (epub - this one I see the page number on the side and I don't like - and kepub) to test the difference between them.
There is an option in the settings to turn that page number display off.
Quote:
The reason I asked was what you mention above - "The two highlighted lines don't agree" - I didn't read this behavior anywhere here.

And yes, what I said is what you wrote: "as you page through the book, the page number only increments for every second screen (footer), but, at the same time, you are seeing a page per screen for finishing the chapter (if enabled at header)."
Yes, I read that as inconsistent. So:

Are you saying that, if you have the chapter page number at the top of the screen, and the book page number at the bottom, that when you turn the page the chapter page changes for every screen, but the book page number only changes for every second screen?

If so, that is something that I have never heard of, or at least not for every page. I have seen an occasional mismatch between the chapter and page number, but mainly with epubs and mainly around the end of the chapter.
Quote:
If I can provide more information, to know what happens here, pls tell me.

Jon,

and how verify if I have this problem?
I usually do it using the calibre editor. If the number of ToC entries is not the same as the number of internal files, it has been know to cause issues with the full book page numbering. But, I do not believe these affect the recent firmware. When Kobo rebuilt the page numbering last year, I think this was fixed. But, it didn't cause a problem like you are describing.

About the only thing I can think of is to see an example of the file. It might be something unusual in it triggering the problem. If it is legal to post it here, attach it, or if the book is freely and legally available somewhere, post the link. Or, upload it somewhere and PM the link to me and I'll look at it. Or use the ScrambleBook plugin in calibre and then upload the result. That solves the copyright issues.
Old 06-18-2020, 09:07 PM   #42
mirage
Zealot
mirage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mirage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mirage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mirage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mirage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mirage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mirage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mirage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mirage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mirage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mirage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: OnePlus 6 phone, Kobo Clara HD, Libra H2O
Quote:
Are you saying that, if you have the chapter page number at the top of the screen, and the book page number at the bottom, that when you turn the page the chapter page changes for every screen, but the book page number only changes for every second screen?

If so, that is something that I have never heard of, or at least not for every page. I have seen an occasional mismatch between the chapter and page number, but mainly with epubs and mainly around the end of the chapter.
That situation is quite common on Android ereaders. Different animal, perhaps. Moon+ Reader, for example, shows the chapter page/total chapter pages on top and percentage of book progress on the bottom where the scrubber is. Librera Pro has the same on top with screens instead of percentage on bottom. Current screen number is at the left of the scrubber, the total number of screens is on the right.
mirage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2020, 10:01 PM   #43
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mirage View Post
That situation is quite common on Android ereaders. Different animal, perhaps. Moon+ Reader, for example, shows the chapter page/total chapter pages on top and percentage of book progress on the bottom where the scrubber is. Librera Pro has the same on top with screens instead of percentage on bottom. Current screen number is at the left of the scrubber, the total number of screens is on the right.
That's a completely different thing. That is displaying different progress measures in different places. @Flaviocc is saying they have page number displayed in both places, and they progress at different rates. That shouldn't be happening.

And Kobo can show the reading progress in different ways. You can see one of page numbers, percentage and time left in either place. And you can use different methods in both places. Which is what I do, the chapter page number and the full book percent read.
Old 06-19-2020, 12:38 PM   #44
Flaviocc
Zealot

@davidfor, thank you again for your time.

Here some pictures to clarify.

I will upload 2 or 3 books - more info in PM

Quote:
Yes. All my books.

And on the driver settings I need to enable the page numbers option?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Desktop_screenshot.jpg
Views:	120
Size:	49.5 KB
ID:	179995   Click image for larger version

Name:	Foto_Google_Fotos (1).jpg
Views:	122
Size:	104.1 KB
ID:	179996   Click image for larger version

Name:	Foto_Google_Fotos.jpg
Views:	115
Size:	89.6 KB
ID:	179997  

Last edited by Flaviocc; 06-19-2020 at 04:20 PM.
Old 06-20-2020, 07:49 AM   #45
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

OK, I can see the problem with these books. They all have a lot of images. And I think that is at least partly it. Some of the chapters page correctly for both the chapter and book, but, others get more out of sync with the number of images. I don't have many books with images in them, so that probably explains why I haven't seen this. And, it might be an issue introduced with image scaling added in firmware 4.21.15015.

I realised that one of the books was https://www.kobo.com/au/en/ebook/what-if-56. So, I got the preview. The problem is visible in that. So, it is a problem with purchased kepubs as well as sideloaded.

Last edited by davidfor; 06-20-2020 at 08:04 AM. Reason: Added the preview test.