Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > KOReader

Notices

Old 09-21-2019, 06:09 AM   #1
frfry
frfry can extract oil from cheesefrfry can extract oil from cheesefrfry can extract oil from cheesefrfry can extract oil from cheesefrfry can extract oil from cheesefrfry can extract oil from cheesefrfry can extract oil from cheesefrfry can extract oil from cheesefrfry can extract oil from cheese

Device: Kindle PW4
[Request/Kindle] Can't jump forth and back

Hello,

On my PW4 (FW 5.12.1), when you go to another point, let's say a footnote, and you use the "Go to the previous place" menu item, you can't then go back to the footnote in the same way (the item is set unavailable). I think the expected behavior here is that the place you are back from becomes the new "previous place" once you are back. There are documents (typically when the footnotes are not links and you have to use bookmarks) where it would be very useful to be able to go forth and back like this. 2¢

Last edited by frfry; 09-25-2019 at 01:29 PM. Reason: Bug -> Request
frfry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2019, 05:33 AM   #2
frfry
frfry can extract oil from cheesefrfry can extract oil from cheesefrfry can extract oil from cheesefrfry can extract oil from cheesefrfry can extract oil from cheesefrfry can extract oil from cheesefrfry can extract oil from cheesefrfry can extract oil from cheesefrfry can extract oil from cheese

OK, I now understand why I wondered if this was not the normal behavior.

If you jump somewhere using a link, it works and you can then go back and forth. It doesn't work when you reach a place using the fast browsing feature or a bookmark. Then you can only go back once.
Old 09-24-2019, 03:15 PM   #3
Frenzie
Wizard
Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O
Quote:
Originally Posted by frfry View Post
I think the expected behavior here is that the place you are back from becomes the new "previous place" once you are back. There are documents (typically when the footnotes are not links and you have to use bookmarks) where it would be very useful to be able to go forth and back like this. 2¢
While having forward available might be "expected," only being able to go back a single step in history would quite decidedly be an antifeature.
Frenzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2019, 06:23 AM   #4
frfry

I apologize if I missed something, but: 1) currently you can make +10pages -> back (-10pages) and… nothing (the Go back menu item is then gray/unavailable); 2) the expected behavior would just be the same as what you are getting using an anchor, tap on the footnote (reach the note) -> back (to the text) -> back (to the footnote) -> ...

Maybe my settings prevent me to see the problem you raise, but this could anyway be the fallback behavior. The last place whatever it is would always be more useful than nothing, wouldn't it?
Old 09-25-2019, 06:53 AM   #5
Frenzie
Wizard
Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O
If you go somewhere five times and you go back five times you want to end up back where you started. You don't want to end up stuck in a loop between the last two locations you happen to have visited.

Quote:
1) currently you can make +10pages -> back (-10pages) and… nothing (the Go back menu item is then gray/unavailable)
Because there's nowhere to go back to.

Quote:
2) the expected behavior would just be the same as what you are getting using an anchor, tap on the footnote (reach the note) -> back (to the text) -> back (to the footnote) -> ...
If you get stuck in a loop that would very much be a bug.
Frenzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2019, 09:13 AM   #6
frfry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frenzie View Post
If you go somewhere five times and you go back five times you want to end up back where you started. You don't want to end up stuck in a loop between the last two locations you happen to have visited.

Because there's nowhere to go back to.
Yes, if you do place1 -> place2 -> place3, you want back, back, back to get you place3 -> place2 -> place1. But once you're back at place1, it makes sense you go back to place2 (then place3 to be consistent, I would be very happy only if the loop between two places was just possible, it has not to be the main goal), because it's the end of the line and the only thing you can mean by "go back". IMHO, this can hardly confuse the reader, unless he doesn't know what he was reading.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frenzie View Post
If you get stuck in a loop that would very much be a bug.
Spare it, I beg you.
Old 09-25-2019, 10:36 AM   #7
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
You mean you'd want the history to wrap around the back, essentially ?
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2019, 01:27 PM   #8
frfry

I look for something narrower, but yes it sounds the proper to implement it.

This could be like a wheel: 3 -> 2 -> 1 -> 0 -> 3 ->…
Or like a subway line: 3 -> 2 -> 1 -> 0 -> 1 ->…

I rarely make more than one bump, so I should be happy. And everybody would gain the ability to follow its steps back.