Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 11-13-2009, 01:30 PM   #1
delphidb96
Wizard
delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: TWO Kindle 2s, one each Bookeen Cybook Gen3, Sony PRS-500, Axim X51V
Kindle For PC PID - how?

How does one determine the K4PC PID? Has anyone done this?

Derek
delphidb96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2009, 01:33 PM   #2
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
Amazon is hip to our groove and had made it very difficult to find the PID for Kindle for PID. People are searching for it but no luck yet.

I've read in one of the threads (I'll have to look for it again) that someone has found a highly encrypted entry in the Registry that might be the PID.
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-13-2009, 05:34 PM   #3
avid
Enthusiast
avid has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Palm TX, Ebookwise 1150, Cybook Gen 3
It was thought to be in the kindle.info file under Local Settings/Application Settings/Kindle...
I tried the entire string with kindlepid.py and did get a 10 digit alphanumeric string in response - but it would not work with any kind of file that I downloaded from Amazon.
I am not knowledgeable enough to do more, but hope someone will find out and tell us soon.
The K4PC is great - but only if I can read the books anywhere I want.
avid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2009, 09:48 PM   #4
Sydney's Mom
Wizard
Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Fire 3d Gen and 5th Gen and Samsung Tab S
So the PID for the computer doesn't work?
Sydney's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2009, 04:23 AM   #5
zacheryjensen
Addict
zacheryjensen has learned how to read e-bookszacheryjensen has learned how to read e-bookszacheryjensen has learned how to read e-bookszacheryjensen has learned how to read e-bookszacheryjensen has learned how to read e-bookszacheryjensen has learned how to read e-bookszacheryjensen has learned how to read e-books

Device: iPad, iPhone 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydney's Mom View Post
So the PID for the computer doesn't work?
The PID for Kindle for PC is not yet discoverable. You won't know if the existing DeDRM tools will work until it is.

Frankly there is no reason that these files could not be encrypted in an entirely different way.

Here's to hoping that it's standard mobi drm and someone figures out how to reverse the PID soon
zacheryjensen is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-14-2009, 11:47 AM   #6
delphidb96
Wizard
delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: TWO Kindle 2s, one each Bookeen Cybook Gen3, Sony PRS-500, Axim X51V
Quote:
Originally Posted by zacheryjensen View Post
The PID for Kindle for PC is not yet discoverable. You won't know if the existing DeDRM tools will work until it is.

Frankly there is no reason that these files could not be encrypted in an entirely different way.

Here's to hoping that it's standard mobi drm and someone figures out how to reverse the PID soon
I've scanned both the Topaz and AZW versions on my machine using Hexedit and the AZW ebook, which I purchased Thursday, looks like a typical .mobi ebook. It has all the standard Mobi header markers and layout.

Derek
delphidb96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010, 06:57 PM   #7
Ben Thornton
Guru
Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, iPad 2 (but not for e-books)
Has anyone heard of any progress on this? I've tried the mobi pocket reader PID - that doesn't work, and I've tried a key that I found in a bit of XML in the Prog files install, and I've poked about the registry looking for likely candidates - but no luck
Ben Thornton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010, 07:07 PM   #8
Ben Thornton
Guru
Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I've found the extra script that I needed ... success!
Old 02-10-2010, 10:22 PM   #9
pendragginp
Guru
pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Several
REALLY?
pendragginp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 04:28 AM   #10
Sischa
Evangelist
Sischa knows what time it isSischa knows what time it isSischa knows what time it isSischa knows what time it isSischa knows what time it isSischa knows what time it isSischa knows what time it isSischa knows what time it isSischa knows what time it isSischa knows what time it isSischa knows what time it is

Device: Nokia 770, Ilead, Cybook G3, Kindle DX, Kindle 2, iPad, Kindle 3, PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by pendragginp View Post
REALLY?
I am not sure if it is allowed to post links to thing like that so i leave it out but there is a phyton script out there to strip off the DRM of Kindle Books via Kindle for PC.

So yes i think there is now a way to look for the PID. Don't ask me for details i can just run the script ...

But google should really fast deliver the link to that script i think.
Sischa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 04:49 AM   #11
Ben Thornton
Guru

PM me if you get stuck
Old 02-11-2010, 11:32 AM   #12
angelad
Groupie
angelad is on a distinguished road

Device: kindle dx
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Thornton View Post
I've found the extra script that I needed ... success!
'Where?
angelad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 11:55 AM   #13
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by angelad View Post
'Where?
There are a couple of scripts that can do the job, but the most popular and easiest to use is unswindle.pyw.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 12:03 PM   #14
Ben Thornton
Guru

The forum guidelines say that we shouldn't post explicit instructions, which is why people sound a bit coy about all this, but those rules don't apply to PMs, I think (that's what the P's for!).

So, PM me if you get stuck.
Old 02-11-2010, 06:33 PM   #15
Zorz
Zealot
Zorz began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2i
follow the instructions in my signature.
Zorz is offline   Reply With Quote