Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

Old 08-31-2011, 11:46 AM   #1
lulalullah
Enthusiast
lulalullah began at the beginning.

Device: Nook Simple Touch
Nook Touch Cover: 'Industriell Reader Cover' or 'M-Edge GO! Jacket Carbon Fiber'

Hi,

I just got my Nook Touch and would like some feeback/advice to choose between:

1. B&N Industriell Cover in Carbon

2. B&N Industriell Stripe Stand in Carbon/

3. M-Edge Carbon Fiber-Four Point Mounting System GO! Jacket for Nook Touch

I perused through the discussions on this board about covers but still cannot decide. I am especially interested about knowing the feel and perhaps get a better view of the M-Edge Carbon Fiber GO! Jacket because their pictures is not really enlightening for me. This cover has the advantage of being able to have a light attached to it, in a more elegant way than with the B&N light, I think.

The different B&N Industriell cover models have received mostly positive reviews from B&N board but I would like to know if some here have their own experience or advice to share on the specific B&N models aforementioned and especially about the fact if the Industriell Carbon can be easily and entirely folded back like in the Industriell Stripe Stand model (without the stand of course).

Thank you very much for all the inputs you can give me on the subject.

Last edited by lulalullah; 08-31-2011 at 06:17 PM.
lulalullah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 05:37 PM   #2
graff_king
Enthusiast
graff_king once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.graff_king once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.graff_king once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.graff_king once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.graff_king once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.graff_king once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.graff_king once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.graff_king once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.graff_king once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.graff_king once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.graff_king once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Nook STR, Kindle 3 wifi, i4s, htc evo, BB 9810, moto xoom,NC
I have the Industriell cover on my Nook Touch currently and actually ordered the Go! Jacket this morning. I like the B&N cover but wanted more and the GO! Jacket seems to have all of the features I am looking for in a cover. I will post an update once the cover arrives.
graff_king is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-31-2011, 06:20 PM   #3
lulalullah
Enthusiast

Hi graff_king,

Sure, I'd be very glad to have your feedback. Which Industriell model and color do you currently have?

For the GO! Jacket, which color did you choose?

Could you elaborate a bit by what you mean by "more" with the GO! Jacket vs. the Industriell?
Old 09-01-2011, 07:31 AM   #4
apeine
Enthusiast
apeine will become famous soon enoughapeine will become famous soon enoughapeine will become famous soon enoughapeine will become famous soon enoughapeine will become famous soon enoughapeine will become famous soon enough

Device: Nook STR
What attracted me most to the m-edge covers is the locking system (4 points, on the edge, with a plastic "lock"), as all other covers resort to: a) slide-in system - which leave one of the sides open, and when the material stretches a little bit, the device feels looser - mine is already after a month and a half - and tend to kill the sides of the screen, as it is usually covered by the cover and b) four corners "picture" holder, usually made of the same material as the cover itself, and will stretch over time, and make the device looser too.
I didn't like the go version for m-edge because nothing holds the front cover in place when closed, and the sides are open. I'd rather go for the latitude, that has a zipper all around - more protective. Or the executive, that can keep the light inside - but it is somewhat larger than the nook itself.
apeine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 08:01 AM   #5
linux_author
Connoisseur
linux_author makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanelinux_author makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanelinux_author makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanelinux_author makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanelinux_author makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanelinux_author makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanelinux_author makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanelinux_author makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanelinux_author makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanelinux_author makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanelinux_author makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplane

Device: Nook Touch, N800
just got this (simulated) leather cover:

case crown touch regal

got a red one for less than $19 from a large on-line book dealer (not BN)... magnetic catch, slip-in for the Touch, and includes small pockets inside the front cover
linux_author is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-01-2011, 11:21 AM   #6
graff_king
Enthusiast
graff_king once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.graff_king once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.graff_king once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.graff_king once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.graff_king once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.graff_king once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.graff_king once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.graff_king once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.graff_king once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.graff_king once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.graff_king once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Nook STR, Kindle 3 wifi, i4s, htc evo, BB 9810, moto xoom,NC
Hello lulalullah,
I have the industriell case in carbon and the Go! Jacket I ordered was the carbon look one. The 'more' I referred to was a more stable mounting system and the slot for a light built-in the case. I have a Kindle 3 as well and am extremely happy with the build quality of the M-edge case I have for it so decided to try another of their products.
graff_king is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 12:04 PM   #7
lulalullah
Enthusiast

re: apeine
Yes, I agree with you about locking systems. M-Edge seems to have the one that would definitely make me feel more secure.
As to the B&N new two-point locking system, I'd love to find some feedback from owners having carried their reader around for a bit because all the comments I've read are all from people who have just received their covers.
So after 1½ month, does the M-Edge four-point mounting system fully satisfy you?
I'm not really into the zip closure system because I'd like to use this cover as a book emulation paraphernalia rather than for protection when carrying the reader around. For this purpose, I intend to use a simple neoprene pouch such as the Nuvo-tek instead.

re: linux_author
W00t you really got a nice deal there
Indeed, I have spotted the Case Crown Regal cover but prefer something really thin. It does look like it offers very good protection while having the feel of a book with the other side. Does the snap closure flap get in the way when you're reading?

I have read somewhere that there is a minimalist cover for the original Nook that offers the missing side of a book but still does not entirely cover the back of the reader. I would love to have this type of cover for the Nook Touch because I find that the rubberized back is very nice to hold on to.

re: graff_king
Thanks for the clarification.
Are you satisfied with the B&N two-point mounting system on your Industriell Carbon?
Is your Kindle 3 cover from M-Edge the one with the new 4-point lock or the old photo-corners system? If it's with the 4-point lock, I sure would love to have your comments between M-Edge 4-point and B&N 2-point. Can't wait for you to receive your Go! Jacket...

Last edited by lulalullah; 09-01-2011 at 12:13 PM.
Old 09-01-2011, 08:57 PM   #8
octoberdana
Enthusiast
octoberdana writes the songs that make the whole world sing.octoberdana writes the songs that make the whole world sing.octoberdana writes the songs that make the whole world sing.octoberdana writes the songs that make the whole world sing.octoberdana writes the songs that make the whole world sing.octoberdana writes the songs that make the whole world sing.octoberdana writes the songs that make the whole world sing.octoberdana writes the songs that make the whole world sing.octoberdana writes the songs that make the whole world sing.octoberdana writes the songs that make the whole world sing.octoberdana writes the songs that make the whole world sing.

Device: Nook Touch, Kindle Touch
I do not like the two point locking system. It makes the right side wobble if I want to use the left page turn buttons. Only kept the case because I wanted an easel style and it was the thinnest one I could find.
octoberdana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 09:47 PM   #9
lulalullah
Enthusiast

Hi octoberdana, this is a precious piece of information to have. I appreciate it
I'm completely with you about the wish for a cover to be the thinnest possible. An easel is a nice feature to have and I guess my "critical to quality" criteria are a secure non-wobbly mounting/locking system and the most unobtrusive shell I can find and third a cover that is impervious to fingerprints and stains (I extensively use hand cream all day long).
Old 09-02-2011, 05:11 AM   #10
Kymmmm
Connoisseur
Kymmmm has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Kymmmm has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Kymmmm has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Kymmmm has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Nook Color and Simple Touch
I bought the industriell flip cover with a two point system. It does make turning pages using the buttons a little less easy because the Nook rocks a bit from side to side but I can also slip my hand between the Nook and the back cover and hold it which is slightly more comfortable than trying to hold the width of Nook and back cover together. That may merely be the difference between a female hand and a male hand though.

I wish the magnetic strap was an inch or two longer though as it doesn't angle back quite enough as is but I like the feel of the rubberised Cover which always feels secure in my hand. I have one for my ST and one for my Color. I wish they had offered them in colours beside black/grey.

Kym
Kymmmm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2011, 09:16 AM   #11
GreenMonkey
DRM hater
GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook ST glow, Kindle Voyage
My M-edge executive jacket shows up today. It lets you store the light in the case.
GreenMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2011, 10:13 AM   #12
jersysman
Wizard
jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T1 Red, Kindle Fire, Kindle PW, PW2, Nook HD+, Kobo Mini, Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by linux_author View Post
just got this (simulated) leather cover:

case crown touch regal

got a red one for less than $19 from a large on-line book dealer (not BN)... magnetic catch, slip-in for the Touch, and includes small pockets inside the front cover
That looks just like the case that I purchased for my Nook Color. I love that case and will get that one when I do get the Nook STR.
jersysman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2011, 12:38 PM   #13
lulalullah
Enthusiast

Hi all,

re: Kymmmm
Interesting info about being able to slip your hand between the Nook and the back cover" to hold it. I have not thought about that...
I'm a woman with a span of hand of about +20cm/7.9in. I hold my book (and turn pages with the hand holding the book) and miss this aspect in an e-reader where both hands are required. I was hoping at least with a double-sided cover, I would retrieve the possibility to hold it like a book:
Description when holding with the left hand although it's almost the same when using the right hand:
- thumb on the inside left side
- baby finger on the inside right side
- middle finger on the spine
- index finger on the external left side
- and ring finger on the external right side
- the bottom spine of the book rests in the palm of the hand (when holding from top, the middle spine rests on the base of the palm-wrist)
- turn pages with thumb (when holding from top, turn pages with ring and index fingers)
I also do that 'single-handedly' when holding a book from its top although my fingers are fanned out a bit differently.
Creepy, ugh, I know

I was first really attracted to the flip cover you have because of its simplicity and unobtrusiveness (slim) but decided that I would miss too much the balance I had with the form format of a book. However, you've given me a point to ponder and this does not simplify my decision making. LOL.

re: GreenMonkey
Indeed, I saw the Executive Jacket model from M-Edge and thought that it's really cool to be able to carry a light with the cover. However I decided against it because I think the light placement when not in use would interfere with my old habits (see my physio-pschycho-motor description above ) and that the closure flap would disturb me.
How do you like the four-point mounting system and do you miss the feel of the rubberized back of the Nook?

Last edited by lulalullah; 09-03-2011 at 10:55 AM.
Old 09-02-2011, 01:32 PM   #14
apeine
Enthusiast
apeine will become famous soon enoughapeine will become famous soon enoughapeine will become famous soon enoughapeine will become famous soon enoughapeine will become famous soon enoughapeine will become famous soon enough

Device: Nook STR
Whenever I use my Casecrewn Regal Flip case, I open the front cover to the back, use the magnetic lock in the proper place and hold the nook between the covers (sliding the hand in). It works quite well, and doesn't make me tired.
apeine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2011, 03:57 PM   #15
6charlong
friendly lurker
6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, nook, Apple and Kobo
I have an M-Edge Go Jacket for my STR and like it better than the B&N Lyndon cover I had before. What I like is that it holds an eLuminator light so that the entire screen is well lighted for reading in the dark or in low light. The Go Jacket is made of more substantial material than the B&N one and it has a sturdy spine instead of a single piece of plastic that you fold over to read one-handed. It makes the Nook very much like a small hard cover book. Oh, and it's pretty light weight too.
6charlong is offline   Reply With Quote