Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 10-13-2010, 02:17 AM   #1
mitch13
Groupie
mitch13 began at the beginning.

Device: Appraising the market
Calibre Duplicates

I have two questions in relation to duplicates in the Calibre database.

1. Is there a quick way to find duplicate books in the Calibre database?

2. I have Calibre showing under 'On Device' 'Main (3 Books). Although I set 'Search' to look for items of the same name, when they come onto screen I cannot see what is causing the message (3 Books). What triggers this message to appear?

mitch13
mitch13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2010, 05:54 AM   #2
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by mitch13 View Post
I have two questions in relation to duplicates in the Calibre database.

1. Is there a quick way to find duplicate books in the Calibre database?

2. I have Calibre showing under 'On Device' 'Main (3 Books). Although I set 'Search' to look for items of the same name, when they come onto screen I cannot see what is causing the message (3 Books). What triggers this message to appear?

mitch13
This is one of those Microsoft "Click Start to shutdown" operations

With the Titles (yes, you can do many at once), select "Delete from Device"

Presto!
a list with all the locations shown (AND TICKED FOR DELETION)
You can peek, and abort
or
Remove the tic from the ones you want to KEEP

Execute
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2010, 07:06 AM   #3
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by mitch13 View Post
The message is a product of device/library book matching.

A book on the device is matched against a book in the library if:
- The device book's UUID (unique calibre ID) matches library book's UUID. This match ignores title, author, and any other metadata.
- The device book's title and author(s) match a book in the library.
- THe device book's title matches a book in the library, and the stored calibre database ID for the device book matches the same book in the library.

Your next question is probably "How do I get duplicates?" The normal way is by changing metadata and sending the book to the device again. Changing metadata for a book does not change its UUID. For example, assume you have a book in your library with the title 'Metadata Rocks', by Calibre. You send it to your device. The file name of the book will depend on the save template, which probably has both author and title in it. Next you decide to change the title to 'The Rocking of Metadata', and send it to your device. The file name will almost certainly be different, because the title is different. You now have two books with the same UUID on your device.

Theducks provided you with a method to list those books. On the library view, right-click on a book and choose Remove Books, then Remove matching books from device. You will be presented with a list of matching books. There is no requirement that you actually delete them.
chaley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2010, 05:03 PM   #4
mitch13
Groupie
mitch13 began at the beginning.

Device: Appraising the market
Calibre Duplicates

Thanks everyone. Will Take this in and look further into Calibre.
mitch13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2010, 06:08 AM   #5
killa
killa began at the beginning.

Device: none
Question help...

Hello,
I know this question was posed before, but I really didn't understand how you can set calibre to find duplicate books.
I don't mean just when I add the new books, because some of them are without metadata.
I mean, How can I make calibre search for duplicates after I added/downloaded the metadata?
I don't want it to do the search automatically, I 'd just prefear if calibre could put in a windows all the books it thinks are duplicate. (like iTunes) or something similar.

I discovered I had 4 copies of the same book. (anthology.)
The Golden Key by Kate Elliott
The golden key by Melanie Rawn
The golden key by Jennifer Roberson
Golden Key, The by various

It shoud have been only one record :
The Golden Key by Kate Elliott & Melanie Rawn &Jennifer Roberson

So i wondered if it was possible for calibre to search for books with same title and make me choose if the books are the same ones or not.

Or I would appreciate if any of you have other solutions

thank you so much and again I'm sorry for my bad english
killa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2010, 06:42 AM   #6
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by killa View Post
I mean, How can I make calibre search for duplicates after I added/downloaded the metadata?
Calibre can't do this search, but Starson17 talks about using SQLiteSpy to generate a list of duplicates in this thread (Post 6).
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote