Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 03-30-2018, 10:31 AM   #1
BenG
Home Guard
BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3G, iPhone 6
A literal compact ereader

A seashell compact ereader from the movie It Follows.
I want one. I can read while pretending to powder my nose.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	readercompact.JPG
Views:	7628
Size:	40.4 KB
ID:	163166  
BenG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2018, 11:30 AM   #2
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by BenG View Post
A seashell compact ereader from the movie It Follows.
I want one. I can read while pretending to powder my nose.
From an article on It Follows:

"...the sea shell smartphone/e-reader was made up for the movie to keep things feeling “like a dream or something outside of time”. In another interview with A.V. Club, he mentioned that having specific devices can make a film feel dated, so they made one up. As he notes, someone will probably make it now. Apparently people keep asking him where they can get one."

So hey, maybe some day...
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-30-2018, 11:37 AM   #3
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
The same thing happened when "The Matrix" came out. Soon after there was a cell phone not unlike that used in the movie.
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2018, 12:20 PM   #4
BookCat
C L J
BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony e-reader 505, Kindle PW2, Kindle PW3, Kobo Libra2
I used to know someone who had an old gameboy (the type which had only one screen and folded out like a tiny laptop). He used some kind of emulator to put PD text format books on it. This was before ereaders existed/were popular, and was the reason why I took so readily to the concept of an ereader.

His device was about the size of a powder compact, though square. You could probably still buy them second hand from ebay, but I don't know how he used the emulator to get the books onto the device. I'm sure there are techies on MR who could tell you how to do this.

It was a great little device designed for playing games. Unfortunately it was led backlit (I think).

Edit: I think it was a Gameboy Advance SP.

Last edited by BookCat; 03-30-2018 at 12:23 PM.
BookCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2018, 04:21 AM   #5
DuckieTigger
Wizard
DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, Oasis 2, PW3, PW1, KT
Quote:
Originally Posted by crich70 View Post
The same thing happened when "The Matrix" came out. Soon after there was a cell phone not unlike that used in the movie.
Not exactly. The phone used in the movie The Matrix already existed (the Nokia 8110).
DuckieTigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert