Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 04-17-2018, 12:16 AM   #46
Gardenman
Wizard
Gardenman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gardenman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gardenman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gardenman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gardenman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gardenman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gardenman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gardenman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gardenman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gardenman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gardenman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony prs-350,Nook HD+, Kindle 2nd gen, kindle keyboard
Quote:
Originally Posted by azayn View Post
Audiobooks, music, and games are better suited to a smartphone than an e-Ink device. I'd like to see better out-of-the-box support for Pocket/Instapaper, online news, Wikipedia, etc.
I agree except for audiobooks. They should be able to play on eink devices.
Gardenman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2018, 12:34 AM   #47
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Audiobooks would be a battery drain. No thanks.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-17-2018, 09:36 AM   #48
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Audiobooks would be a battery drain. No thanks.
They're only a battery drain if you listen to them. Otherwise, they wouldn't affect non-audiobooks listeners and the feature is there for those who do like the function. Apart from maybe price that is but basic Kindle has it and price hasn't gone up.

Of course, Amazon is in the business of selling services. Getting more subscribers to Audible offsets the relatively minor cost of adding audio capabilities to Kindles.
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2018, 12:57 PM   #49
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
The problem is that because the Oasis 2 has a weak battery, audiobooks will kill it very quickly. That's not going to be a good thing at all.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2018, 10:48 PM   #50
Mivo
Fanatic
Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: In use: Pocketbook InkPad 3, Kobo Glo, iPad Air 2
One of the reasons why I read on an e-ink device instead of my iPad is that it is relatively distraction-free. My readers do have some some extras, but I never use them. I listen to audiobooks on my phone since that's also where my music is (and I charge it daily anyway).

Extras may also increase the price. Not necessarily the apps, but audio support (ideally Bluetooth), more memory to support more complex apps, faster CPU than is needed for reading, etc).
Mivo is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-18-2018, 04:15 AM   #51
Ripplinger
350 Hoarder
Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-350, Kobo Glo & Glo HD, PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gardenman View Post
I agree except for audiobooks. They should be able to play on eink devices.
I could see an argument if you're learning a language and want to hear the audio while you're reading along with it. Unless that's the majority of your reading, you'd be better off using a small cheap tablet, and they're now cheaper than ereaders and can do all the games, browsing some want.

But to listen to audio books, I wouldn't want to lug around the bigger ereader when I could instead use a tiny 2" Sandisk mp3 player for that that weighs next to nothing.

I like that ereaders are just plain boring text readers.
Ripplinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2018, 06:09 AM   #52
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ripplinger View Post
I could see an argument if you're learning a language and want to hear the audio while you're reading along with it. Unless that's the majority of your reading, you'd be better off using a small cheap tablet, and they're now cheaper than ereaders and can do all the games, browsing some want.
"Small cheap tablets" weight more than eReaders and don't match their battery life. And, if I'm going to carry a device -- primarily for reading -- I want it to be an eInk one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ripplinger View Post
But to listen to audio books, I wouldn't want to lug around the bigger ereader when I could instead use a tiny 2" Sandisk mp3 player for that that weighs next to nothing.

I like that ereaders are just plain boring text readers.
For me, it's having related subjects together on the same device. (Besides, I don't use a dedicated MP3 player. I do have several eReaders that can play MP3s. Not that I really use them either. )
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2018, 09:49 AM   #53
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcentros View Post
"Small cheap tablets" weight more than eReaders and don't match their battery life. And, if I'm going to carry a device -- primarily for reading -- I want it to be an eInk one.
Of course, if you're listening to audio books you likely aren't carrying it around. And when it comes down to it, a phone is probably better for audio books and phones are even smaller and more portable than an e-ink reader.

I love my e-ink reader and I'm glad they exist. But if I knew someone who primarily listened to audio books, I wouldn't recommend one for them.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2018, 12:16 PM   #54
rem736
purpose priority passion
rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony prs-350, b&n ngp, rM2, kindle scribe, boox poke5
i would just use a sansa clip for audio books. one more device. but this one is about the size of 1" x 2" x .5". and it lasts about 20 hours of play time.
rem736 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2018, 01:58 PM   #55
4691mls
Wizard
4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ALL DEVICES ARE STOCK: Kobo Clara, Tolino Shine 2, Sony PRS-T3, T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by rem736 View Post
i would just use a sansa clip for audio books. one more device. but this one is about the size of 1" x 2" x .5". and it lasts about 20 hours of play time.
Yes. I don't listen to audio books but I have a Sansa clip that I use for FM radio and/or MP3s if I'm not near a car or home stereo. It's tiny, can be clipped to your clothing and a basic one is only about $35 new.
4691mls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2018, 03:11 PM   #56
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
I love my e-ink reader and I'm glad they exist. But if I knew someone who primarily listened to audio books, I wouldn't recommend one for them.
In my case it's not audio books, it's MP3 speeches (and sermons) related to the books I've loaded on a particular Sony T1. All material gathered in one place. I sometimes – rarely – listen to MP3 music on my Blackberry Q10, but I consider that a totally different thing (even though they're both playing MP3s). It's nice to have the option to play MP3s on the Reader, is all.
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2018, 10:12 PM   #57
steven168
Zealot
steven168 shares his or her toyssteven168 shares his or her toyssteven168 shares his or her toyssteven168 shares his or her toyssteven168 shares his or her toyssteven168 shares his or her toyssteven168 shares his or her toyssteven168 shares his or her toyssteven168 shares his or her toyssteven168 shares his or her toyssteven168 shares his or her toys

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 1 & 3
i use paperwhite 3 for reading and listen audiobook on my phone same time.
steven168 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2018, 07:28 AM   #58
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Quote:
Originally Posted by steven168 View Post
i use paperwhite 3 for reading and listen audiobook on my phone same time.
Anyone who wants to do "immersion" reading while reading on eink has to make a similar accommodation, which is why I don't see the point of audiobook capability on Kindles. They make terrible players in themselves, too large and fragile to be serviceable for many instances when one would like to listen while on the move and using them as a player precludes reading when not.
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2018, 10:34 PM   #59
Mivo
Fanatic
Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: In use: Pocketbook InkPad 3, Kobo Glo, iPad Air 2
Another point is that if someone wants an e-ink reader that plays audiobooks, there are devices that offer this. Supporting manufacturers that include these feature might be a good way to highlight the desire for them.
Mivo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2018, 10:56 PM   #60
HLS
Wizard
HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sage, Scribe, Boox Note 2 Plus, iPad Pros and Samsungs S6,S7,S8
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
The problem is that because the Oasis 2 has a weak battery, audiobooks will kill it very quickly. That's not going to be a good thing at all.
I know you really burn threw a battery listening to audio books on the Oasis. I do not plan to use it till they add the immersion reading feature otherwise it seems pointless to have it. My echo dot reads out books to me for free or plays the audiobook
HLS is offline   Reply With Quote