Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 03-10-2018, 12:03 PM   #1
redtwotwo
redtwotwo began at the beginning.

Device: kindle paperwhite
show all book in a series where one book is XXXX

I have a user created column called status which can be read, unread, or pending. The pending indicates that the book (usually in a series) is planned for release. I want a way to either search or create a virtual library where if one book in a series is pending that it shows all the books in the series even if they have another status.

Is this possible?
redtwotwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2018, 12:28 PM   #2
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Is this a True /False column.

For this I use 'Logic'

formats:false (AKA an Empty Book) and #read:false

In reality, I use Tristate T/F fields.
Unread is blank (no setting), which includes no format to read
Read is True
Not going to read (for whatever reason): false

Last edited by theducks; 03-10-2018 at 12:30 PM. Reason: Oh! You want all members
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-10-2018, 12:43 PM   #3
redtwotwo

It is text with a fixed set of values. Those values are read, unread, and pending as I stated.
Old 03-10-2018, 12:47 PM   #4
Divingduck
Wizard
Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650
I believe this is not possible with the normal search.

Take a look for [GUI Plugin] Multi-Column Search from DaltonST. I think it is capable to do this if I remember correct.
Divingduck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2018, 12:51 PM   #5
redtwotwo

I did not think so. Thanks for taking the time to consider.

I could not get the plugin to do what I want either.

Last edited by redtwotwo; 03-10-2018 at 01:59 PM.
Advert
Old 03-10-2018, 05:40 PM   #6
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
@redtwotwo - its a while since I used it, but maybe you could get close to what you want with Quick View - doco is here.

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2018, 07:38 PM   #7
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
I was going to suggest QV (see my strike out post), but the request was for a VL (I assume the OP wants to use a browser to access the library)
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2018, 08:29 PM   #8
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Yeah, I noticed the request was for a VL; hence my '. . . maybe you could get close to . . .'.

BR
Old 03-11-2018, 11:31 AM   #9
redtwotwo

Thanks, I did not know about the quickview feature and it seems useful. Alas it does not do what I want. If I search for all pending books and then do a quickview on these, it shows only one series of the selection. I can not get it to show all series with one or more pending books.

And I don't use a browser to access the library. I am in the program proper.

Thanks again for giving it some thought.
Old 03-11-2018, 06:23 PM   #10
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)

@redtwotwo- as I recall, from the QV of 'pending' books you can select a book and have it displayed as the current book in the book list. From there you could select the Similar Books->Show books in same series action from the book list context menu, and et voilà you have a list of books in a series of which at least one member is 'pending'. I think it will work best if you lock the QV list.

You can add Similar Books to a toolbar if you don't like using context menus.

BR
Old 03-11-2018, 06:43 PM   #11
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)

Afterthought - after finding the books, as described above, you could add them to a Reading List (optional plugin).

BR
Old 03-12-2018, 12:35 PM   #12
redtwotwo

@BetterRed Thanks. I know about the show books in the same series feature. That is what I have been using and I know the keyboard shortcut well. The trouble is I don't want one series, I want them all. That was not very clear in my first post though so I will apologize.

The Reading List plugin sounds promising. I will give that a try when I get home today.