Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 03-27-2018, 08:09 PM   #121
darryl
Wizard
darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O, Kindle Oasis, Huwei Ascend Mate 7
@DNSB. I wonder how many of these sites would actually let you download an ebook. Probably not many, as most such sties are scams. This is not of course to say that pirate ebooks are not readily available. As for site blocking? It is flavour of the month at the moment but is basically next to useless.
darryl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2018, 09:15 PM   #122
steven168
Zealot
steven168 shares his or her toyssteven168 shares his or her toyssteven168 shares his or her toyssteven168 shares his or her toyssteven168 shares his or her toyssteven168 shares his or her toyssteven168 shares his or her toyssteven168 shares his or her toyssteven168 shares his or her toyssteven168 shares his or her toyssteven168 shares his or her toys

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 1 & 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
I just tried an experiment using the Tor network and switching until I appeared to be coming from the UK. Out of a list of 25 sites that showed pirated ebooks, 19 of them were accessible and 1 was down. So 80% are available until someone complains about them and the ISPs block access.
i thought Tor network are not good and many are blocking it.
steven168 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-27-2018, 10:17 PM   #123
sjfan
Addict
sjfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sjfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sjfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sjfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sjfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sjfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sjfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sjfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sjfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sjfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sjfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H20, Kobo Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by steven168 View Post
Please don't equate Tor with piracy or say that it is not good.

Tor is designed to protect anonymous free speech, which is one of the lynchpins of democracy (see: Publius and the Federalist Papers). Its core algorithm was developed by the US Naval Research Lab, and it was largely funded by Human Rights Watch and the Electronic Frontier Foundation to protect political dissidents in oppressed nations. It is used by the New York Times, the Guardian, and other journalism outlets to protect whistleblowers and dissidents, and it is endorsed by the Internet Watch Foundation.

It can be used for illicit reasons as well, but that is not its reason for existing at all.
sjfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2018, 10:40 PM   #124
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by sjfan View Post
Please don't equate Tor with piracy or say that it is not good.

Tor is designed to protect anonymous free speech, which is one of the lynchpins of democracy (see: Publius and the Federalist Papers). Its core algorithm was developed by the US Naval Research Lab, and it was largely funded by Human Rights Watch and the Electronic Frontier Foundation to protect political dissidents in oppressed nations. It is used by the New York Times, the Guardian, and other journalism outlets to protect whistleblowers and dissidents, and it is endorsed by the Internet Watch Foundation.

It can be used for illicit reasons as well, but that is not its reason for existing at all.
Amen. I don't use Tor, but I'm glad it exists.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2018, 08:26 AM   #125
Marinolino
Groupie
Marinolino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marinolino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marinolino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marinolino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marinolino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marinolino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marinolino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marinolino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marinolino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marinolino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marinolino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura-One (using KOReader app), Boox Note-3, iPad(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BookCat View Post
I would love to buy the ebook of Famine by Liam O'Flaherty. I read this as a library book (physical) many years ago and it stayed in my mind. I would love to read it again, but don't want to purchase a pbook which it's a strain for me to read (I'm both short and long sighted), but it isn't available as an ebook. Botherations!
You can than buy paper book, scan e.g. 50-60 pages for a day or two reading session (using any tablet with a good camera or a scanner) and transform those to epub, repeating it till the end of the book.

Of course you should zip/rar those files with a strong password so that no one can gain access to the book but you and delete it after you finish the book if it is against the law in your country to keep it for a longer period.

Last edited by Marinolino; 03-28-2018 at 09:22 AM.
Marinolino is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-28-2018, 09:11 AM   #126
BookCat
C L J
BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony e-reader 505, Kindle PW2, Kindle PW3, Kobo Libra2
If I scanned it wouldn't the computer see it as an image? Can Calibre turn that into mobi?
BookCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2018, 09:31 AM   #127
Marinolino
Groupie
Marinolino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marinolino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marinolino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marinolino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marinolino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marinolino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marinolino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marinolino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marinolino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marinolino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marinolino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura-One (using KOReader app), Boox Note-3, iPad(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BookCat View Post
If I scanned it wouldn't the computer see it as an image? Can Calibre turn that into mobi?
You can simply use those images or quickly print out those images as PDF or as epub/mobi images using Calibre and then read it in landscape mode with a considerable text magnification depending on the screen size, but if you prefer epub or mobi as txt files you should apply OCR (optical character recognitionon) on those images beforehand, using any free or payed for OCR software like Abby Finereader, Adobe Acrobat etc. or free online services that would usually directly create epub files.

Since many eink readers are capable of reflowing ocr-ed pdf (using its OCR-layer text that we can enlarge or change its font type as with epub/mobi) there is maybe no need for epub conversion, if pdf reflow mode is good enough for our purpose.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Compar...ition_software

http://www.finescanner.com/en/
https://itunes.apple.com/US/app/id534203582?mt=8

free-trial
https://pdf.wondershare.com/how-to/c...f-to-epub.html
https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/appl...#platform/ipad

https://www.onlineocr.net
https://ocr.space
http://www.free-online-ocr.com
etc.

There are free apps for tablets too:

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/pages/id361309726?mt=8

https://mashtips.com/android-ocr-scanner-apps/
https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...nard.ocr&hl=en

Although these informations are not strictly related to drm-stripping methods, I wouldn't go into any further details here because it could be maybe interpreted as such.

Last edited by Marinolino; 03-29-2018 at 05:13 PM.
Marinolino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2018, 10:08 AM   #128
darryl
Wizard
darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O, Kindle Oasis, Huwei Ascend Mate 7
Or, if you're going to do it a lot, buy a Czur Scanner.
darryl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2018, 12:54 PM   #129
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by darryl View Post
@DNSB. I wonder how many of these sites would actually let you download an ebook. Probably not many, as most such sties are scams. This is not of course to say that pirate ebooks are not readily available. As for site blocking? It is flavour of the month at the moment but is basically next to useless.
The sites I picked were ones that were known to allow actually downloading the books. The joys of searching the Internet where I found a site listing sites that were "legit" (well, as legitimate as a pirate site gets ) and sites that were scams and should be avoided. I used a junk email to register for some of the sites that required registration.
DNSB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2018, 12:59 PM   #130
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by steven168 View Post
Looking at the replies, all I can say is that Tor can be used illicitly but it has far more uses including being about the best way to use the Internet anonymously when your local government is not big on freedom of speech.
DNSB is online now   Reply With Quote