Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 02-22-2011, 07:25 PM   #76
hyam_brochen
hyam_brochen began at the beginning.

Device: K3
not sure if this has been answered or not... i'm still on 3.0.2 and still just contemplating what to do as far as hacking goes ... if i install duokan before updating to 3.1, will it work (iow does 3.1 just prevent installing duokan, or does it prevent it from running altogether)?
I'd really like to just install duokan, then go to 3.1, then jailbreak it. but i don't know quite enough about what i'm doing to know if that will work.
hyam_brochen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 07:28 PM   #77
JerryinOCMD
Enthusiast
JerryinOCMD will become famous soon enoughJerryinOCMD will become famous soon enoughJerryinOCMD will become famous soon enoughJerryinOCMD will become famous soon enoughJerryinOCMD will become famous soon enoughJerryinOCMD will become famous soon enough

Device: Kindle 3
I'm getting closer and closer to installing this jailbreak so that I can get my screen savers back. The only thing that I'm still confused about is all of the talk about the HACK_UPDATES and the AMAZON_UPDATES files. I guess I'm just looking for clear directions on installing the jailbreak (like I found on the wiki when I installed my first jailbreak (0.4.N) and ss hack (0.18.N)).

So far I've uninstalled my previous jailbreak and ss hack, I've updated the Kindle firmware to 3.1. The "linkss" folder still resides on my kindle from when I installed the screensavers. Do I need to remove or alter this folder in any way?

Thanks for all the help.
JerryinOCMD is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-22-2011, 07:44 PM   #78
jglerner
Connoisseur
jglerner doesn't litterjglerner doesn't litter

Device: Kindle 3g (US), KT & PaperWhite, Nook ST
@yifanlu

Let me suggest you to add the content of your first post on this thread, something as "Instructions.txt", instead of the "Readme.txt" on your jailbreak zip file.Your first post is much clearer and nicely formatted.

Just a thought...

Last edited by jglerner; 02-22-2011 at 07:59 PM.
jglerner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 07:54 PM   #79
yifanlu
Kindle Dissector
yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by chal61 View Post
Thanks for your efforts yifanlu, but still no luck, update_jailbreak_0.3_k3w_install.bin gives U007 and at reboot the jailbreak directory is still present in kindle's root dir.

Now I'm going to sleep mode... as well as my kindle!
Does anyone else have this problem with the new files?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jglerner View Post
@yifanlu

Let me suggest you to add the content of your first post on this thread, something as "Instructions.txt", beside of the "Readme.txt" on your jailbreak zip file.

Just a thought...
The exact same words are in readme.txt
yifanlu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 07:58 PM   #80
jdomingos76
Enthusiast
jdomingos76 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2 and 3 Int
Everything worked perfectly with my Kindle 3, 3.1.
Thanks, you should receive a medal.
jdomingos76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-22-2011, 08:07 PM   #81
alison87
alison87 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3G
Quote:
Originally Posted by yifanlu View Post
Yep, i do. Upgraded to 3.1 and installed your 0.1 jailbreak this morning and everything was fine. Tried to upgrade to the 0.3 jailbreak tonight and got U007 I guess i'll stick with 0.1 for now. Great work, in either case.
alison87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 08:26 PM   #82
yifanlu
Kindle Dissector
yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by alison87 View Post
Yep, i do. Upgraded to 3.1 and installed your 0.1 jailbreak this morning and everything was fine. Tried to upgrade to the 0.3 jailbreak tonight and got U007 I guess i'll stick with 0.1 for now. Great work, in either case.
Can those of you geting U007 errors on 0.3 clear your browser cache and re-download the package? I thought I fixed it and I can't seem to reproduce it.
yifanlu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 08:28 PM   #83
Shack70
Guru
Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire 10", Honor 8 Android Phone
Quote:
None at all, worked like a charm. Simply follow the directions and off you go! Thanks again!
Shack70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 08:43 PM   #84
mdietz39
mdietz39 doesn't littermdietz39 doesn't littermdietz39 doesn't litter

Device: Kindle v3.1
Here is another newbie. I did not have nay hacks on my Kindle. I upgraded to 3.1, no problem. I saw where the old jailbreak hack would not work so I waited until the new version came out. I installed it with no problem. But I can not find where to get the Screen Saver hack or any particulars on size, shape, type of screen savers. I see the samples given in this thread on other threads but I need to know where to get and install the Screen Saver hack. Thank you for all you are doing about this.
Incidentally when I got the e-mail from Amazon about the upgrade I responded with when will we be able to have custom screen saver images. I received a reply stating they were passing my query on to the development team.
Mike
mdietz39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 08:48 PM   #85
billmilo
Connoisseur
billmilo has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Kindle 3 Wifi
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdietz39 View Post
Here is another newbie. I did not have nay hacks on my Kindle. I upgraded to 3.1, no problem. I saw where the old jailbreak hack would not work so I waited until the new version came out. I installed it with no problem. But I can not find where to get the Screen Saver hack or any particulars on size, shape, type of screen savers. I see the samples given in this thread on other threads but I need to know where to get and install the Screen Saver hack. Thank you for all you are doing about this.
Incidentally when I got the e-mail from Amazon about the upgrade I responded with when will we be able to have custom screen saver images. I received a reply stating they were passing my query on to the development team.
Mike
https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/Kind...nd_3.x_Kindles
billmilo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 08:52 PM   #86
mdietz39

Quote:
Originally Posted by billmilo View Post
Thank you very much for the quick reply.
Mike
Old 02-22-2011, 08:58 PM   #87
willia4
willia4 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
I just ran in to this same problem. I think it's because my Kindle got into a weird state, though.

My Kindle was 3.0.x with the NiLuJe jailbreak and the clarknova ss hack. Since I didn't want it to auto-update to 3.1, I recently also installed the dsmid update-provider hack and set it to "hack" mode.

Tonight, my Kindle auto-updated anyway. Great. It still has the update-provider hack and the (now useless) NiLuJe jailbreak (assuming the update didn't undo that; I'm not entirely sure how this stuff works).

I attempted to install your newest package, hoping that it would also uninstall the update-provider hack.

Unfortunately, I just got the U007 error.

Assuming that this is a weird enough state that you can't do anything about it, do you (or anyone else) have some suggestions for completely zapping my firmware back to an Amazon-original so I can start my jailbreaks from the beginning?
willia4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 09:01 PM   #88
flandroid
Connoisseur
flandroid has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.flandroid has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.flandroid has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle 2/3/4/PW3
U007 error here too when trying to uninstall over top of the 0.1.
flandroid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 09:25 PM   #89
Tarr
Tarr began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3 Wifi
Just attempted the update via overwrite. I did not see an error but the jailbreak folder is still there with the file. And no new file is in the root. I may have just missed the error? Perhaps the issue is having hacks installed while upgrading or do you others that are having issues have it set to amazon updates thus blocking the hack update?

I'm going to uninstall the font and ss hack and try the overwrite method again and let you know. If not I'll just uninstall the break and do it from scratch, I am very OCD.

Ok, so despite not seeing the error I know it didn't work because I was able to run the uninstall files for the two hacks with no blank file in the root directory, just the old file and jailbreak folder. Overwrote the old jailbreak and did not notice an error but again I have no file in the root, just the old jailbreak folder and file. Hope any of that helps you. Thanks again for the job well done.

Last edited by Tarr; 02-22-2011 at 09:41 PM.
Tarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 09:32 PM   #90
mdietz39

I am sorry to bother you again but I am having a problem. I have installed the Screen Saver hack with no problem. I get the "ScreenSavers Hack has been ..." screensaver display now. I put a png file which I named k3a.png in the screensavers folder. It is 206 kb. However it does not display. I do not have the random file in the linkss folder.

I still get the "ScreenSavers ..." display. If I remove that png file from the folder I get a blank screen. So I know I have my png file in the right folder. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Thank you
Mike

I just fixed it. I went into settings and did a restart. When it got through going through all the gyrations, everything was working just fine. I now have a picture of my wife as my screen saver.
Again thank you very much
Mike

Last edited by mdietz39; 02-22-2011 at 11:08 PM.

Tags
jailbreak kindle 3.1, yifanlu jailbreak