Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 01-02-2011, 02:55 PM   #1
Newfie56
Newfie56 plays well with othersNewfie56 plays well with othersNewfie56 plays well with othersNewfie56 plays well with othersNewfie56 plays well with othersNewfie56 plays well with othersNewfie56 plays well with othersNewfie56 plays well with othersNewfie56 plays well with othersNewfie56 plays well with othersNewfie56 plays well with others

Device: Kindle 3
I'm regretting giving my husband a Kindle 3

Hi everyone. I'm new to the forum, having been brought here by my attempts to redeem myself -- and the Kindle gift I gave my husband for Christmas. He is a prolific reader, checking stacks of books from the library regularly. When he asked for an e-book reader for Christmas, I posted on my facebook: "Kindle or Nook?" and the Kindle responses outweighed the Nooks. I got him the version with 3G & wifi. I simply assumed (you know what they say about that word) that it would be compatible with the ebooks offered from our library.

Of course, now I know better. And I'm sure I'm not the first person to post this dilemma on this forum. I've tried googling and trying to figure this out... But I'm not the most computer-savvy person in the world. Most of the instructions I've read for "getting around" this issue are more than a year old and I don't know why I can't find anything more recent. Can someone provide a link (or links) to instructions that even someone getting solicitiations from AARP can understand?

He's wondering if I can return the Kindle, and I don't want to admit defeat (not sure they would even take it).

Thanks in advance for any help.
Newfie56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 03:07 PM   #2
screwballl
NewKindler
screwballl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.screwballl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.screwballl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.screwballl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.screwballl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.screwballl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.screwballl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.screwballl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.screwballl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.screwballl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.screwballl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle3 Wifi
One thing to really look at is if your local library even has the ebook lending for sure. There is no guarantee that it does unless you have already checked on it. The nearest library to me that offers ebook lending is 300+ miles away.

If the library will be the main source of books then the Nook may be the better option... but if you want the largest online library of books that can be had or bought, then the Kindle the better choice. You can bet that Amazon has almost any book that the local library does and more, sometimes for free. The difference is that the library ebooks just like real ones will be temporary, whereas the ones from Amazon are permanent.

There are also plenty of locations online to get the same books for cheap or free as well, so Amazon is not the only source.
screwballl is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-02-2011, 03:17 PM   #3
Newfie56
Newfie56 plays well with othersNewfie56 plays well with othersNewfie56 plays well with othersNewfie56 plays well with othersNewfie56 plays well with othersNewfie56 plays well with othersNewfie56 plays well with othersNewfie56 plays well with othersNewfie56 plays well with othersNewfie56 plays well with othersNewfie56 plays well with others

I had checked (as had my husband) into the local library's ebooks. We were encouraged to see titles of many of the current authors he enjoys reading. We knew, of course, that each library book would be a temporary loan. Not a problem. But to be unable to access the library's ebook selection because I bought him a Kindle instead of a different kind of ebook reader is disheartening.
Old 01-02-2011, 03:22 PM   #4
TheKindleWorm
Guru
TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kindle 3G, iPhone 3G, iPod 4G, PB 360, Sony 600 sold, Kindle 2i sold
Sounds like the library book lending is a bit of a deal-breaker in which case the Nook or even a Sony Reader may have been the better option.

However there are ways of getting around the library issue and maybe someone can and will help you with that.

I don't know if your husband has either an iPhone /iPod touch or android phone because you can at least now read library ePub books using one of these devices and the overdrive media console app. So that's a legal workaround if you have a compatible device.
TheKindleWorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 03:26 PM   #5
kacir
Wizard
kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 360, before it was Sony Reader, cassiopeia A-20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newfie56 View Post
... the Kindle gift I gave my husband for Christmas.
... books from the library regularly. When he asked for an e-book reader for
... I simply assumed (you know what they say about that word) that it would be compatible with the ebooks offered from our library.
Thanks in advance for any help.
Kindle is not good for books from Public Library.

There are several things you can do.
1. Return Kindle and buy Sony Reader or PocketBook that support library lending

2. Sell Kindle on Ebay to someone from outside USA. There is currently long waiting list for Kindles here in Europe, because all the Kindles went to USA market. Buy Sony or PocketBook or other reader that supports checking out books from Library.

3. let hubby discover vast amounts of freely available books on the net. A good starting point is here on this page. Just scroll up and at the very top click on link E-Books. We also have extensive list of resources on our wiki here
https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/Free_eBooks
Depending on what your significant other likes to read, there might be LOTS of stuff for him available legally. If he likes Science Fiction there is Baen Free Library, and Fifth Imperium CDs with several years worth of reading.

4. Try googling for ways of how to remove DRM from Library books. There are strict rules at this particular forum, and you won't get much more detailed instructions here. There are other forums out there where you will get more info, but point 3 should provide enough books for your Kindle to earn its price several times over.
kacir is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-02-2011, 03:52 PM   #6
wvcherrybomb
Sharp Shootin' Grandma
wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kindle Fire, Literati (has been adopted by my daughter)
I'm sure Amazon would take the Kindle return. They are very good about accepting returns for any reason. Assuming you are in the US, I am 99% sure there would be no problem.

You can read library books on a Kindle but it involves a few steps. First you must download Calibre, and then add some plug-ins that strip the DRM. Then you would be able to convert the books to Kindle format. It's not difficult to do but I believe it's against the rules to give instructions on this forum.
wvcherrybomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 03:55 PM   #7
kindlekitten
Professional Adventuress
kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Olympic Peninsula on the OTHER Washington! (the big green clean one on the west coast!)
Device: Kindle, the original! Times Two! and gifting an International Kindle
you've gotten some good instructions already, keep at it and you will be able to get those books! there are also thousands of free books here at the Mobile Read Library. also check at the top section of this page, there is a link for free or reduced priced books from Amazon.

off topic... are you a Canadian or have a Newfie?
Attached Images

kindlekitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 04:01 PM   #8
abookreader
Wizard
abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles - Keyboard, Fire, 2-US, iPhone, iPAD
Well first let me state that Amazon has a return policy until January 31st for Holiday shopping Kindles. You might consider that.

As for getting library books onto the Kindle, it can be done but you need to accept that this will require removing the DRM. If you are okay with that, we can help you blatently right up until the point where we start working with DRM, then we need to send you to Private Messages and Apprentice Alf's blog. Once it is set-up correctly, it is very simple. Setting it up can take some fiddling though.

But to get started...

1. Download and install Adobe Digital Editions on a computer and register an account. You are going to need to do this anyway even if you exchange the Kindle for a different eReader such as a nook.

http://www.adobe.com/products/digitaleditions/

2. Download and install Calibre.

http://calibre-ebook.com/download

3. Go ahead and practice checking out a book and downloading it into Adobe Digital Editions. At this point you should be able to read the book on your computer.

When you can do that, feel free to post here or send me a Private Message. It would also help if you'd tell us if you are PC or Mac.
abookreader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 04:02 PM   #9
Newfie56

Thanks, all. I will weigh the advantages/disadvantages of returning the Kindle or doing that which must not be mentioned on this site. And kindlekitten, I was born in Newfoundland into a US military family, so didn't get to live there very long. I love your dog photo and have a soft spot for the breed!
Old 01-02-2011, 04:02 PM   #10
screwballl
NewKindler
screwballl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.screwballl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.screwballl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.screwballl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.screwballl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.screwballl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.screwballl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.screwballl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.screwballl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.screwballl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.screwballl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle3 Wifi
Considering most of this technology is still new, the lending itself is still very buggy and problematic, and the title available can range from 100 to a few thousand, but still far from the millions available online, either for free or money.

I would suggest checking the available titles from your local library to see what is really available and if it is even worth it.
screwballl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 04:04 PM   #11
Newfie56

Abookreader -- we must have been typing at the same time, as I didn't see your response until I'd posted mine. Thanks much for your help! We have already done steps 1 & 3, but will go on to #2 now. Thanks!
Old 01-02-2011, 04:05 PM   #12
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Amazon has a 30-day return policy for Kindles. So if you are not sorted out with the Kindle in time, return it as once the time is up, you are stuck with it if you don't want it.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 04:07 PM   #13
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Another point to consider about library lending is that, even if your library offers ebooks, they will probably have very long waiting times for most popular books. Many people have reported having to wait months. Given that you can generally buy bestsellers for under $10, and get thousands of classics completely free, is it really worth the bother?
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 04:22 PM   #14
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
The Kindle 3 is a very good ebook reader but if library ebooks are going to be the primary source of content then it might be best to return it (Amazon won't mind) and look into an alternative.

The easiest of all, if reading on an LCD screen is no concern, is to look for an android webpad like the Pocketbook IQ or Cruz Reader or T301 (among others) and install the Overdrive Media App next to the Kindle for Android Reader app. The Overdrive app will *directly* go to the LIbrary sites and directly download the books straight to the tablet with no PC use or sideloading involved. No ADE no nothing, just as simple as buying Kindle ebooks from the Kindle for Android app. There are also ePub apps that let you get DRM-free epubs direct to the gadget.

Relying on DRM-removal to feed a Kindle is essentially negating the Kindle line's most valuable feature, the fact that it isn't a PC peripheral like other readers that are dependent on PC-based software. Take that away and what you have is a generic reader. And most generic readers don't require extra steps to use library ebooks.
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 04:26 PM   #15
kindlekitten
Professional Adventuress
kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Olympic Peninsula on the OTHER Washington! (the big green clean one on the west coast!)
Device: Kindle, the original! Times Two! and gifting an International Kindle
we have quite a few people here who read an awful lot of library books on their Kindles. there is a certain desert dwelling Grandma that is a very good resource
kindlekitten is offline   Reply With Quote