Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

View Poll Results: To Be Read pile: Bigger or Smaller?
Bigger 59 72.84%
Smaller 3 3.70%
About the same 7 8.64%
I haven't counted 4 4.94%
I don't have one 4 4.94%
The blue one next to the fish 4 4.94%
Voters: 81. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-19-2010, 04:57 AM   #1
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
POLL: TBR Pile — Bigger or Smaller in 2010?

I've just totted up how many ebooks I've bought and how many I'd read this year...

Read (so far): 160.
Bought: 162

Mind you, that does include 79 Agatha Christie titles on a very special Fictionwise offer early in the year. But then, it doesn't include the freebies I've got during the year — perhaps 100?

I shall have to try to do better in 2011, if I'm going to get my TBR pile to start on a downwards trend.

So. Has your TBR pile got bigger or smaller this year?
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2010, 06:43 AM   #2
caleb72
Indie Advocate
caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Mine became much bigger because the move to ebooks seemed to also open me up to a whole range of new authors. So even with my geographical restrictions, my TBR list is through the roof.

Regards
Caleb
caleb72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-19-2010, 07:32 AM   #3
Iridal
Mysteriarch
Iridal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iridal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iridal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iridal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iridal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iridal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iridal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iridal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iridal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iridal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iridal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 4, Kindle 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by caleb72 View Post
Mine became much bigger because the move to ebooks seemed to also open me up to a whole range of new authors.
The same is true for me. I've discovered quite a few new authors because of recommendations made by members of this forum, and I also downloaded a lot of free classics I always wanted to read.
Iridal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2010, 10:43 AM   #4
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
I don't have a to-be-read pile.

But if you only compare books read vs book bought,it would be down. I hardly bought any books this year, thanks to that beautiful invention of geographical restriction.

I'd like add a word of thanks to all publishers, for saving me a lot of money, which I could now spend on other things than books.
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2010, 10:56 AM   #5
abookreader
Wizard
abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles - Keyboard, Fire, 2-US, iPhone, iPAD
Okay this is how I figure it

When I sort Calibre by date

December 31, 2009 1080 eBooks
Today 1609 eBooks

So I added 529 eBooks in 2010 from various freebies and paid sources. Now some of these aren't TBR because they are replacements of my owned Paper books but I really can't sort those out. Maybe I need to get even nerdier in 2011 and keep better records.

According to my Shelfari account so far in 2010 I have read 118 books this year.

Moral of the story: My husband is right. I buy too many books.
abookreader is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-19-2010, 11:10 AM   #6
Mel Comley
Addict
Mel Comley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mel Comley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mel Comley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mel Comley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mel Comley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mel Comley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mel Comley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mel Comley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mel Comley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mel Comley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mel Comley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
There's just not enough hours in the day to read all the great ebooks I want to read!

Definitely read more this year, some great books out there across all the genres.

Mel
Mel Comley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2010, 11:11 AM   #7
Care
Aes Sedai
Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.

Device: Kobo Aura and Kobo Mini, had a Nook, NOOKcolor, Nook STR.
My tbr list just keeps growing! I have read 145 books so far this year, but I have bought (actually lots were free ones) or borrowed over 250. Good Reads is my biggest reason for this. I find so many books that look interesting and if a friend (especially many friends) raves about it I buy it.
Care is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2010, 11:11 AM   #8
Latinandgreek
Warrior Princess
Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505; PRS-350, PRS-T1, iPad, Aura HD
My TBR pile just keeps growing... some of the books are pbooks, and some are ebooks, so it will take me a while to count it up.
Latinandgreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2010, 11:12 AM   #9
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
It's beginning to look like we're (nearly) all a bunch of hoarders at Mobileread!

(And I must confess — I just bought four more. I was missing four Agatha Christie novels, and I just noticed that they were now available in the UK Kindle store at reasonable prices (two at £3 and two at £4). I now have all her books (80 in the UK) and the three novelisations by Charles Osborne.)
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2010, 11:18 AM   #10
Latinandgreek
Warrior Princess
Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505; PRS-350, PRS-T1, iPad, Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
It's beginning to look like we're (nearly) all a bunch of hoarders at Mobileread!

(And I must confess — I just bought four more. I was missing four Agatha Christie novels, and I just noticed that they were now available in the UK Kindle store at reasonable prices (two at £3 and two at £4). I now have all her books (80 in the UK) and the three novelisations by Charles Osborne.)
I'm a hoarder, no question there! I also like having collection bought, even if I don't plan on reading them in the near future. If I like an author, I'll often buy all of their books. I'll read them all eventually, just not necessarily the year that I bought them.
Latinandgreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2010, 11:23 AM   #11
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
My TBR list has skyrocketed. While I've cut back on DTB purchases (and at that, yesterday I filled a laundry basket with my next-up TBR DTBs--out of shelf space, sigh, and even floor space is at a premium in my bedroom), I've been taking full advantage of ebook coupons, especially at Kobo, since I figure they'll dry up eventually. I'm planning a no-buy for 2011, but I was excepting books. Perhaps I should rethink the exception? Unless it's something I want to read NOW or it's a colossal deal that won't be duplicated. Because otherwise, I have to admit that the books will still be there when (if) I get around to them. I easily have sufficient books on hand to keep me in reading material for the year, and that doesn't include library books.

Must think on this.
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2010, 11:30 AM   #12
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer
lilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud of

Device: PRS-505
This year I did a really good job reading through my backlog of ebooks (started the year with around 60% of my eLibrary read and now I'm up to 76%). But I went to a lot of booksales and got a ton of pbooks.
lilac_jive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2010, 11:33 AM   #13
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
I started 2010 by keeping my promise of reading through more of the freebies I had piled up and not buying as many new books. That lasted about 4 months. since then I have been stimulating the economy all over the place. I *have* cut down on the number of freebies I download. Most I will never read and I was just becoming one of Ficbot's "ebook hoarders". If I'm not likely to read it, I won't download it... for free or for pay.
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2010, 11:36 AM   #14
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer
lilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud of

Device: PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by daffy4u View Post
I started 2010 by keeping my promise of reading through more of the freebies I had piled up and not buying as many new books. That lasted about 4 months. since then I have been stimulating the economy all over the place. I *have* cut down on the number of freebies I download. Most I will never read and I was just becoming one of Ficbot's "ebook hoarders". If I'm not likely to read it, I won't download it... for free or for pay.
Same here, with the freebies.
lilac_jive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2010, 11:36 AM   #15
Marcy
Guru
Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2
My TBR list is totally out of control because of ebooks. I would never buy a pbook that I didn't read right away, but ebooks can be hoarded without any mess or fuss.

Another reason publishers should be embracing ebooks. Not only are they an easy impulse purchase that you don't have to leave the house for, but buying tons of them doesn't make you look like the crazy people with their house so full of books you can't find the bathroom.

-Marcy
Marcy is offline   Reply With Quote