Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 04-02-2018, 12:54 PM   #16
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
Yes, I understand what Chromebooks are. I have one myself.

But where are you getting that the Chromebook will no longer be able to go online?

Android is notorious for not being updated. Yet old versions of Android can still go online. Why would Chrome O/S behave differently?
I didn't say it won't be able to go online.
But if the servers refuse the connection...
I gather you haven't encountered websites that only support the absolute latest version of a browser? Or only certain whitelisted browsers?

If Google stops patching bugs and security holes servers will have to deny access just to protect themselves. The gadget might have no problem getting online but be unable to go anyplace useful. For starters, if Google wants to make you upgrade they can block off Gmail, Youtube, Google Docs...

It's like how they updated ChromeOS to run Android apps but only for newer devices. More than planned obsolescence, this sounds like forced obsolescence; perfectly fine hardware but if they want you to upgrade they can degrade the functionality enough to make it useless.

Now, having the capability doesn't mean they will use it but Google's track record with Android suggests they will, sooner or later, and probably sooner than later.

It's a matter of time.

Last edited by fjtorres; 04-02-2018 at 12:57 PM.
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2018, 02:17 PM   #17
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by fjtorres View Post
I didn't say it won't be able to go online.
But if the servers refuse the connection...
Your arguments go from "I could see that" to "where's my tin foil hat?"

Quote:
I gather you haven't encountered websites that only support the absolute latest version of a browser? Or only certain whitelisted browsers?
I've seen that, though they seem to be rare (maybe it's just the website I visit? Your mileage may vary). Since corporations tend to use older versions of browsers (where I work, we have to use an old version of Chrome and for some things, we still use IE), most sites will accept several versions of a browser.

Quote:
If Google stops patching bugs and security holes servers will have to deny access just to protect themselves. The gadget might have no problem getting online but be unable to go anyplace useful. For starters, if Google wants to make you upgrade they can block off Gmail, Youtube, Google...
Google blocking access to their own services seems a little conspiracy theory-ish to me.

Quote:
It's like how they updated ChromeOS to run Android apps but only for newer devices. More than planned obsolescence, this sounds like forced obsolescence; perfectly fine hardware but if they want you to upgrade they can degrade the functionality enough to make it useless.

Now, having the capability doesn't mean they will use it but Google's track record with Android suggests they will, sooner or later, and probably sooner than later.

It's a matter of time.
The older Chromebooks not being able to install Android apps sucks, but it didn't make a device I only purchased to surf the web (which is all the early Chromebooks promised to do) useless.

I guess in the end, when you buy a very inexpensive laptop that only runs a browser, you have to expect these things to happen.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2018, 02:24 PM   #18
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by kansaskyle View Post
I remember a commercial years ago that mentioned a seven-year-old computer is a lot different than a seven-year-old airplane.
not really - I'm using a 6 year old laptop, and it is still more than adequate compared to current devices
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2018, 06:16 PM   #19
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate the great View Post
not really - I'm using a 6 year old laptop, and it is still more than adequate compared to current devices
I have a second-gen Atom Netbook going on ten years that's working just fine.
It came with Vista, got faster with Win7 and now Win10 made it even smoother. Both free upgrades. Still getting support, even drivers for tbe hardware.

Browses fine, runs Office, Calibre, and media apps as well as it ever did.
I doubt it'll still be in use after 50 years like the B52 but it only cost $279 new.

Say what you will about MS, they do support their OSes for a decade and more.

https://www.groovypost.com/howto/mic...ort-lifecycle/
Old 04-03-2018, 09:11 AM   #20
Lady Stardust
User
Lady Stardust ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Stardust ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Stardust ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Stardust ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Stardust ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Stardust ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Stardust ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Stardust ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Stardust ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Stardust ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Stardust ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Iphone, Kindle 3, PW1/2/3, KOA1/2/3, Aura HD/One/, Kobo Forma
Quote:
I have a second-gen Atom Netbook going on ten years that's working just fine.
It came with Vista, got faster with Win7 and now Win10 made it even smoother. Both free upgrades. Still getting support, even drivers for tbe hardware.

Browses fine, runs Office, Calibre, and media apps as well as it ever did.
I doubt it'll still be in use after 50 years like the B52 but it only cost $279 new.

Say what you will about MS, they do support their OSes for a decade and more.

https://www.groovypost.com/howto/mic...ort-lifecycle/
And yet, they ended support for Office for Mac 2011 in 2017 And no free upgrade, I would have to pay for Office for Mac 2016 or 365.
Lady Stardust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2018, 12:04 PM   #21
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Stardust View Post
And yet, they ended support for Office for Mac 2011 in 2017 And no free upgrade, I would have to pay for Office for Mac 2016 or 365.
Office is a different story.
It's an application, not a platform.
Different rules.
The OS is tied to the hardware and you can't move it to a different system, whereas you can migrate an Office license to different hardware when you buy a new computer. The OS being tied to the hardware makes having usable hardware with an unsupported OS is bound to be annoying, especially if it keeps you from accessing full functionality. Apps don't typically become riskier or lose functionality when support ends.The

(That's where the Win10 support rule of "hardware usable life" makes sense.)

It really an, ahem, Apples and Oranges situation, OSes and applications.

How long does Apple support, say iWork?
From what I hear, the current version 13 doesn't support documents from version 9, 2009. So they supported it for 5 years? That's about right for applications. Few consumer applications get more.

Now, enterprise applications are a different breed but mostly because support is paid for. Those get supported as long as money money money keeps rolling in.

Last edited by fjtorres; 04-03-2018 at 12:17 PM.
Old 04-04-2018, 08:15 AM   #22
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro, iPad mini, Kobo Aura, Amazon paperwhite, Sony PRS-T2
Quote:
Office is a different story.
It's an application, not a platform.
Different rules.
The OS is tied to the hardware and you can't move it to a different system, whereas you can migrate an Office license to different hardware when you buy a new computer. The OS being tied to the hardware makes having usable hardware with an unsupported OS is bound to be annoying, especially if it keeps you from accessing full functionality. Apps don't typically become riskier or lose functionality when support ends.The

(That's where the Win10 support rule of "hardware usable life" makes sense.)

It really an, ahem, Apples and Oranges situation, OSes and applications.

How long does Apple support, say iWork?
From what I hear, the current version 13 doesn't support documents from version 9, 2009. So they supported it for 5 years? That's about right for applications. Few consumer applications get more.

Now, enterprise applications are a different breed but mostly because support is paid for. Those get supported as long as money money money keeps rolling in.
Apple has always had the policy of not supporting older versions after a given time. That's been a big difference between Apple and Microsoft over the years. Another big difference has been that Apple proactively attempts to discourage the use of undocumented API's by breaking them every so often.

In general, with Android products, especially when the carriers customize it, you know up front that the carrier is only going to support it for a couple of OS upgrades if that. You pretty much have to root the phone at that point if you want to upgrade.

Last edited by pwalker8; 04-04-2018 at 08:18 AM.
pwalker8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2018, 09:48 AM   #23
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by pwalker8 View Post
Apple has always had the policy of not supporting older versions after a given time. That's been a big difference between Apple and Microsoft over the years.
When Google released Chrome OS, they promised four years of support. A bit later they bumped it up to five. So it doesn't feel like they are cheating anyone.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2018, 03:05 AM   #24
frahse
occasional author
frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: Wandering God's glorious hills, valleys and plains.
Device: A Franklin BI (before Internet) was the first. I still have it.
Strange, I got a notice from my Chromebook to "update." I did. But I still have the message I quoted saying it was stopping updating.

Maybe it is updating some stuff but not anything for more modern hardware.
frahse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2018, 04:24 AM   #25
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
When my HP netbook's hard drive went bad and I had to replace it I installed Win 7 on it instead of Win 10. Eventually Win 7 will no longer be supported, but in the meanwhile it suffices, and maybe by the time Win 7 is no longer supported they will have found something better than Win 10. Anyway I don't need the newest OS to write in Scriver, play some games, surf the net and check email, which is mostly what I do with it anyway. It may not be the sportscar of computers but it works.
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote