Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Everything Audiobooks > Audiobook Hardware & Software

Notices

Old 06-02-2017, 11:10 AM   #1
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer
Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite, AGPTek Bluetooth Clip
Playster?

My Facebook feed has lately been showing me ads for audiobooks at Playster: unlimited access for $14.95/month.

I did a search, but couldn't find anything about Playster having been mentioned here; is anyone familiar with the service? They're offering a 30-day free trial, so I'm tempted.

They also have plans that include e-books, music, etc.
Catlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2017, 12:21 PM   #2
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catlady View Post
My Facebook feed has lately been showing me ads for audiobooks at Playster: unlimited access for $14.95/month.

I did a search, but couldn't find anything about Playster having been mentioned here; is anyone familiar with the service? They're offering a 30-day free trial, so I'm tempted.

First I've heard of them. Give it a shot and let us know what you think.

This is something I wouldn't be interested in since I'm quite pleased with the selections offered by the libraries I belong to.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-02-2017, 04:02 PM   #3
sun surfer
languorous autodidact ✦
sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: onyx boox poke 2 colour, kindle voyage
Quote:

Hm, sounds interesting. This is exactly the sort of thing I would look for in audiobooks as I care not a whit about owning most of the audiobooks I listen to since I won't ever re-listen, or at least not for a very, very long time if ever.

I am happy enough with Audible though and I like their selection; I'd be worried this Playster might have a more limited selection. I'd be very interested to hear anyone's experience with them.

On perusing the Playster site I did notice though that you can choose books only for $9.95 a month, which price makes it even more tempting...
sun surfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2017, 04:36 PM   #4
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer
Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sun surfer View Post
Hm, sounds interesting. This is exactly the sort of thing I would look for in audiobooks as I care not a whit about owning most of the audiobooks I listen to since I won't ever re-listen, or at least not for a very, very long time if ever.

I am happy enough with Audible though and I like their selection; I'd be worried this Playster might have a more limited selection. I'd be very interested to hear anyone's experience with them.

On perusing the Playster site I did notice though that you can choose books only for $9.95 a month, which price makes it even more tempting...
I found quite a few books that are on my Audible wish list and not available at any of my libraries. I'm going to go for the free trial, at least, but not till next week at the earliest, since I want to finish a couple of library holds that have just come through.

Whether I would stay beyond the free trial depends on their app.
Old 06-02-2017, 04:50 PM   #5
sun surfer
languorous autodidact ✦
sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Let us know how it turns out!

I'd suggest not using the link you gave to sign up though. I'm not sure why, but with that link it lists the audiobook subscription as the $14.95 you mentioned, but if you just go to their front page and look at the plans (which also include the first month free) the audiobook subscription is listed as $9.95.
Advert
Old 06-02-2017, 06:41 PM   #6
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Let us know how it turns out!

I'd suggest not using the link you gave to sign up though. I'm not sure why, but with that link it lists the audiobook subscription as the $14.95 you mentioned, but if you just go to their front page and look at the plans (which also include the first month free) the audiobook subscription is listed as $9.95.
The $9.95 plan is for ebooks. They make a distinction between books and audiobooks:

Quote:
Enjoy unlimited access to Playster’s entire catalog. Discover millions of songs, books, audiobooks, movies, TV shows and games. All in one membership.
Old 06-02-2017, 06:50 PM   #7
sun surfer
languorous autodidact ✦

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
The $9.95 plan is for ebooks. They make a distinction between books and audiobooks:
No, it seems to be for audiobooks too. Go to this page:

https://www.playster.com/us/en/start#books

Now, look at the possibilities. On the left hand box choose 'Books Only' from the drop-down menu. It then shows the plan to be 'Books & Audiobooks Only' for $9.95 a month.
Old 06-02-2017, 07:09 PM   #8
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe

Quote:
No, it seems to be for audiobooks too. Go to this page:

https://www.playster.com/us/en/start#books

Now, look at the possibilities. On the left hand box choose 'Books Only' from the drop-down menu. It then shows the plan to be 'Books & Audiobooks Only' for $9.95 a month.
I stand corrected. I missed the header above the drop down menu.

It would seem they have conflicting prices on their pages. A call to CS is in order.
Old 06-02-2017, 07:22 PM   #9
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
I stand corrected. I missed the header above the drop down menu.

It would seem they have conflicting prices on their pages. A call to CS is in order.
It's $14.95 a month for audiobooks, per what they said on Facebook in the original link I saw, and what a rep said there in response to some posts asking about pricing. Apparently the audiobooks section is new, and I'm guessing that they haven't updated everything on the site.
Old 06-02-2017, 07:40 PM   #10
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe

I just finished an online chat with CS and was told that the $9.95 plan and the $14.95 plan contained the same audiobooks. I got the impression that she didn't grasp the absurdity of the pricing:

$9.95 = ebooks + audiobooks

$14.95 = audiobooks only
Old 06-02-2017, 07:45 PM   #11
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe

Quote:
Apparently the audiobooks section is new, and I'm guessing that they haven't updated everything on the site.
That's my thinking too. I bet the drop down menu pricing gets changed: ebooks for $9.95 and audiobooks for $14.95.
Old 06-02-2017, 08:11 PM   #12
sun surfer
languorous autodidact ✦

Maybe then it's a case of, grab it while you can and hope you get grandfathered into the better price that includes more.

Seriously though, the site looks nice and the idea sounds great, but regardless of the reason why, this is a rather large error that makes me question how good the experience as a customer would be.
Old 06-02-2017, 09:54 PM   #13
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, 2E, Libre, PW4, PW5, 2022 Kindle
I've yet to find a way to view the audiobook catalog. Is it available without signing up?

Never mind, I found it. I am actually impressed by what I see of the selection. I'm going to have to see if they have titles from my Scribd list.

Last edited by booklover6; 06-02-2017 at 10:08 PM.
booklover6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2017, 10:09 PM   #14
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by booklover6 View Post
I've yet to find a way to view the audiobook catalog. Is it available without signing up?
https://play.playster.com/
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2017, 03:52 PM   #15
sun surfer
languorous autodidact ✦

Quote:
It's $14.95 a month for audiobooks, per what they said on Facebook in the original link I saw, and what a rep said there in response to some posts asking about pricing. Apparently the audiobooks section is new, and I'm guessing that they haven't updated everything on the site.
For what it's worth, I still wouldn't go through one of their $14.95 ads to sign up based on the prices I currently see around their site. Now that I looked at the site yesterday, I'm also getting their ads on other sites and I clicked through and saw the same ad/intro page that you gave in the first link for $14.95. But that's the only place anywhere on its site I see it for $14.95, and I can't find any way to access that page except for through an ad or your link.

I already mentioned that going through the 'front' page for Playster to the plans offers the lower price, but you can also see it by going to the link AnemicOak gave which I think is the actual 'player' page, and then clicking on 'Audiobooks'. This again shows audiobooks as $9.95 per month. Here's the direct link- https://play.playster.com/audiobooks/overview

As well, even going through the intro page that you linked and that ads also take me to, you can still from there easily navigate to the other pages which offer the $9.95 price instead. For the Plans page I mentioned yesterday, simply click the top left 'Playster' logo on that ad/intro page which takes you to the 'front' page of Playster and from there you can either click 'Start Your Free Month' or scroll slightly down and click a media type which will all take you to the Plans page where after choosing Books from the left drop down menu it shows audiobooks included for $9.95. Alternately, from the same ad/intro page you linked you can scroll down to the bottom and under 'Still not convinced?' click on 'Yes, really.' It takes you to the same page AnemicOak posted where you can easily click on Audiobooks and see the $9.95 per month price.