Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 09-06-2012, 02:56 PM   #226
ucfgrad93
Wizard
ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2nd Gen
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
250MB, not going to be doing much with that. Hopefully a bigger plan too?
I'm assuming that you would do the majority of things using wifi and only using 4G when wifi is not available. That is what I do with my iPhone.
ucfgrad93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 02:57 PM   #227
David Munch
Scholar
David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra H2O + iPad Air 4
mMMMmm... Kindle Paperweight... I want one.
David Munch is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-06-2012, 02:58 PM   #228
Prestidigitweeze
Fledgling Demagogue
Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Oasis 2; Aura HD; iPad Air; PRS-350; Galaxy S7.
Just because you choose to avoid the LTE model doesn't mean the Wifi version's out of the question. But it's disappointing that Amazon no longer offers AT&T for free and has taken away any useful amount of data for the paid subscription.

Last edited by Prestidigitweeze; 09-06-2012 at 03:00 PM.
Prestidigitweeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 02:58 PM   #229
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kumabjorn View Post
Now, is paperwhite still eInk? Is it a new type of eInk? Or does it come from some other place?
It is eink. It's using the LG screen. But what makes it paperwhite is not actally the screen. It's the light shining on the screen. Take your current pearl based reader and give it a nice bright light source and the background will be a lot lighter.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 02:58 PM   #230
Crowl
Wizard
Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, PW Signature edition
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kumabjorn View Post
$100 between 7" and 8.9" screens
Big difference in the specs of the two screens though, that will push the price up quite a bit on that one.
Crowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-06-2012, 02:59 PM   #231
MikeCL
Zealot
MikeCL began at the beginning.

Device: KKB-3G
I assume you can't go to the google market?
MikeCL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 02:59 PM   #232
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by ucfgrad93 View Post
I'm assuming that you would do the majority of things using wifi and only using 4G when wifi is not available. That is what I do with my iPhone.
I get that, but just streaming music can eat up data pretty fast. 250MB is great for getting books, checking email or a few websites, but not for much else. $50 is great! I just think they need to offer another plan too.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 02:59 PM   #233
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
$50/yr for 250MB/mo is not a bad deal. I assume if you need more, you just need to pay more.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 02:59 PM   #234
TimW
Wizard
TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KK3G, KPW1, Sony PRST1, Sony PRS350, iPod Touch 5G
Quote:
Reader Andrew writes :
I think they announced the $499 in order to anchor people to the higher price so they will more likely buy the $299 version. Its a psychological principle in pricing products.
I think that's a reasonable thought. $499?? Too much! $299? Ooh, looks much better!
TimW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 03:00 PM   #235
alsaan
Enthusiast
alsaan knows what time it isalsaan knows what time it isalsaan knows what time it isalsaan knows what time it isalsaan knows what time it isalsaan knows what time it isalsaan knows what time it isalsaan knows what time it isalsaan knows what time it isalsaan knows what time it isalsaan knows what time it is

Device: Kindle 2 & Kindle 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeCL View Post
It's a pretty safe bet...
alsaan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 03:00 PM   #236
ScotiaBurrell
Banned
ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle & little green monster
Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
8.9" 32GB 4G = $499

Is this the comic interlude?

Are they out of their minds?
To get $50 a year LTE.

Thats the only reason to buy it.
ScotiaBurrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 03:00 PM   #237
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeCL View Post
Someone will figure out how to put Google Play on there. I assume you can still sideload apps as well.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 03:03 PM   #238
MikeCL
Zealot
MikeCL began at the beginning.

Device: KKB-3G
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomsem View Post
Someone will figure out how to put Google Play on there. I assume you can still sideload apps as well.
I'm just curious I'm between this new fire and the Nexus 7.. I have a few paid apps on Google play and not being able to use them on the fire seems like a waste. because some of them are pretty functional like a wireless remote
MikeCL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 03:03 PM   #239
GreenMonkey
DRM hater
GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook ST glow, Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
8.9" 32GB 4G = $499

Is this the comic interlude?

Are they out of their minds?
They always charge more for tablets with built-in 3G/4G.

Honestly I'm even considering the Kindle Fire 4G later this year with the awesome $50/yr data plan.

I don't use a lot of data. It would nice to be able to use a tablet once in a while without tethering to my phone.

I checked my Virgin Mobile account and I've used 114MB in about half a month - I rarely ever go much over 1GB in a month, most months a lot less. Then again I'm not a phone junkie, either (I'd rather read on my Nook).
GreenMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 03:04 PM   #240
Crowl
Wizard
Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, PW Signature edition
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydney's Mom View Post
I was really looking forward to this, but I am seriously underwhelmed. Bluetooth is nice, and the faster processor/wi-fi will stream HBO Go better. But 250 MB is seriously disappointing.
It is an interesting little plan for the price, it would actually cover the monthly use of a fair percentage of current smartphone market even if it would be useless to anyone using the LTE to any real extent.

Maybe there is a removable sim and if you don't like their plan you could go with the one from whoever their provider was (it would still need to use the same lte bands so you would be restricted)
Crowl is offline   Reply With Quote