Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Deals and Resources (No Self-Promotion or Affiliate Links)

Notices

Old 10-21-2010, 06:50 PM   #121
kiwipippa
Fanatic
kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo glo, kobo touch (dead), kindle touch, android phone
I wonder if this article means our days are numbered. It is the most draconian thing the publishers have tried so far......

http://www.thebookseller.com/news/13...k-lending.html
kiwipippa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2010, 12:56 PM   #122
thinkpad
David
thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, E.Edge (sold), Irex Iliad (retired)

Quote:
However, Publishers are keen to ensure that lending e-books is possible and want to support public libraries in offering access to e-books on the same terms that apply to printed books.
The only thing Stephen Page is keen on is for people to stop lending books and buy them instead. Talk about going back to the stone age to physically show up at the library to get a digital copy.
thinkpad is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-22-2010, 04:46 PM   #123
toolio
Enthusiast
toolio has learned how to read e-bookstoolio has learned how to read e-bookstoolio has learned how to read e-bookstoolio has learned how to read e-bookstoolio has learned how to read e-bookstoolio has learned how to read e-bookstoolio has learned how to read e-books

Device: Sony Reader/IPAQ 210/Ipod Touch
There are a few libraries around the U.S. that will allow online signups for ebook lending and other services without payment and without proof of address. I have managed to open two accounts, and I am not in the U.S. You do have to make up a local home or work address, however. In both cases I used the city hall address of the relevant city. They both allow borrowing of Overdrive books. Google is your friend--this has been discussed elsewhere.
toolio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2010, 11:45 PM   #124
kiwipippa
Fanatic
kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by toolio View Post
There are a few libraries around the U.S. that will allow online signups for ebook lending and other services without payment and without proof of address. I have managed to open two accounts, and I am not in the U.S. You do have to make up a local home or work address, however. In both cases I used the city hall address of the relevant city. They both allow borrowing of Overdrive books. Google is your friend--this has been discussed elsewhere.
Yes, but now the publishers have this practice in their sights. Check my link a few posts back. The publishers are saying they want libraries to only allow downloads ON LIBRARY PREMISES so as to ensure geographic restrictions are maintained.
Old 10-23-2010, 12:00 AM   #125
thaigreg
Connoisseur
thaigreg can eat soup with a fork.thaigreg can eat soup with a fork.thaigreg can eat soup with a fork.thaigreg can eat soup with a fork.thaigreg can eat soup with a fork.thaigreg can eat soup with a fork.thaigreg can eat soup with a fork.thaigreg can eat soup with a fork.thaigreg can eat soup with a fork.thaigreg can eat soup with a fork.thaigreg can eat soup with a fork.

Device: BeBook/JBL/Kindle 3
Has anyone noticed that the FLP ebooks have been reduced from 5200 books to just over 3200 over the past month?
thaigreg is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-24-2010, 12:02 AM   #126
kiwipippa
Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by thaigreg View Post
Has anyone noticed that the FLP ebooks have been reduced from 5200 books to just over 3200 over the past month?
Hmmm...... you're right. I wonder why that is?
Old 11-11-2010, 03:11 AM   #127
Almas
Addict
Almas has a spectacular aura aboutAlmas has a spectacular aura aboutAlmas has a spectacular aura aboutAlmas has a spectacular aura aboutAlmas has a spectacular aura aboutAlmas has a spectacular aura aboutAlmas has a spectacular aura aboutAlmas has a spectacular aura aboutAlmas has a spectacular aura aboutAlmas has a spectacular aura aboutAlmas has a spectacular aura about

Device: Kindle Touch; Sony PRS-600
Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwipippa View Post
Hmmm...... you're right. I wonder why that is?
I've just browsed their collection. It only has 750 non-fiction e-books on offer for me. What's going on here? How come their collection has decreased so much? This sucks
Almas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2010, 03:15 AM   #128
Almas
Addict
Almas has a spectacular aura aboutAlmas has a spectacular aura aboutAlmas has a spectacular aura aboutAlmas has a spectacular aura aboutAlmas has a spectacular aura aboutAlmas has a spectacular aura aboutAlmas has a spectacular aura aboutAlmas has a spectacular aura aboutAlmas has a spectacular aura aboutAlmas has a spectacular aura aboutAlmas has a spectacular aura about

I have just sent that a query inquiring about all this using their Ask A Librarian service. Let's see what they have to say.
Old 11-12-2010, 05:53 PM   #129
Almas
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Almas View Post
I have just sent that a query inquiring about all this using their Ask A Librarian service. Let's see what they have to say.
Here's the reply that I received:

I am sorry to hear of your concerns regarding our ebook service. I have looked at our statistics for the past few months and do not see a decrease in the number of titles offered. In fact, we continue to add new titles each week.

By the end of September, we had 3023 copies of 2186 EPUB titles. We currently have 3686 copies of 2651 titles.

In September, we had 966 copies of 825 PDF titles, and now have 1044 copies of 892 PDF titles.

Over the course of the last 6 weeks, we have added 465 new titles to our collection.

I am not sure why it would appear that we own fewer titles now. Since we started offering them last October, we have made an effort to keep the collection up to date and fresh!

I hope this answers your questions.
Old 11-13-2010, 04:57 AM   #130
roger the rabbit
Addict
roger the rabbit knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'roger the rabbit knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'roger the rabbit knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'roger the rabbit knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'roger the rabbit knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'roger the rabbit knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'roger the rabbit knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'roger the rabbit knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'roger the rabbit knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'roger the rabbit knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'roger the rabbit knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Device: Sony PRS-T3, 650 Black, 505, Kobo Glo HD Aura ONE
They certainly seem to get copies of new releases pretty quickly, (ones I am interested in anyway), and are most helpful if you request a book they currently do not have.

Overall for me, a great resource with friendly communicative people.

How this will play out following the *gang of five* efforts to kill eBooks remains to be seen.
roger the rabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2010, 11:38 AM   #131
James_Wilde
Guru
James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Iriver Story
Applied for my card today. Had a problem getting a scan under 100 KB, but managed with a gif file. Hope they can display that.

Thanks to all for the research into this.
James_Wilde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2010, 10:06 AM   #132
DiamondDave
Enthusiast
DiamondDave began at the beginning.

Device: nook
Quote:
Originally Posted by Almas View Post
Here's the reply that I received:

I am sorry to hear of your concerns regarding our ebook service. I have looked at our statistics for the past few months and do not see a decrease in the number of titles offered. In fact, we continue to add new titles each week.

By the end of September, we had 3023 copies of 2186 EPUB titles. We currently have 3686 copies of 2651 titles.

In September, we had 966 copies of 825 PDF titles, and now have 1044 copies of 892 PDF titles.

Over the course of the last 6 weeks, we have added 465 new titles to our collection.

I am not sure why it would appear that we own fewer titles now. Since we started offering them last October, we have made an effort to keep the collection up to date and fresh!

I hope this answers your questions.
Yeah, it always seemed to me they are constantly adding, not subtracting. What a great service. I hope the publishers don't eff it up for the rest of us.
DiamondDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2010, 03:32 AM   #133
antistar
Connoisseur
antistar does all things with Zen-like beautyantistar does all things with Zen-like beautyantistar does all things with Zen-like beautyantistar does all things with Zen-like beautyantistar does all things with Zen-like beautyantistar does all things with Zen-like beautyantistar does all things with Zen-like beautyantistar does all things with Zen-like beautyantistar does all things with Zen-like beautyantistar does all things with Zen-like beautyantistar does all things with Zen-like beauty

Device: PRS-500, dr800sg, prs-950, MS SP3, Boox i86ML, Sony Z3TC, KV, Sony RP1
Just got my number and pin, yay~
mailed in the application on the 18th. Got a reply saying they received it on the 19th. had the account paid and ready a few hours ago. Now I am a happy member of the Free Library of Philadelphia!
The collection is decent, though I have to queue for a lot of the books that I am interested in. But once I found something I can check out right away, it will last me through the waiting. Who needs more than one book to read at one time, anyway?
Thank you Almas and all those people who shared their experience. You guys are just awsome!
antistar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2010, 09:00 AM   #134
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer
Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite, AGPTek Bluetooth Clip
Quote:
Originally Posted by antistar View Post
Just got my number and pin, yay~
mailed in the application on the 18th. Got a reply saying they received it on the 19th. had the account paid and ready a few hours ago. Now I am a happy member of the Free Library of Philadelphia!
!!! And you're in Taiwan?

I'm about 100 miles away from Philly, mailed in my check and application on November 5, and have heard nothing; the check hasn't even been cashed yet!
Catlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2010, 10:13 AM   #135
antistar
Connoisseur
antistar does all things with Zen-like beautyantistar does all things with Zen-like beautyantistar does all things with Zen-like beautyantistar does all things with Zen-like beautyantistar does all things with Zen-like beautyantistar does all things with Zen-like beautyantistar does all things with Zen-like beautyantistar does all things with Zen-like beautyantistar does all things with Zen-like beautyantistar does all things with Zen-like beautyantistar does all things with Zen-like beauty

Device: PRS-500, dr800sg, prs-950, MS SP3, Boox i86ML, Sony Z3TC, KV, Sony RP1
Yes, everything taken care of through the internet while I am thousands of miles away. Talk about cyber age and globalization
antistar is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
australia, free library, new zealand, non-us, philadelphia