Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Deals and Resources (No Self-Promotion or Affiliate Links)

Notices

Old 11-24-2010, 10:36 AM   #136
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer
Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite, AGPTek Bluetooth Clip
I didn't see any option for completing the application online or paying online, or I would have done it. Now I guess I just have to wait.
Catlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2010, 12:21 PM   #137
Mare of Earth
Leaver of Hoofmarks
Mare of Earth can name that song in three notesMare of Earth can name that song in three notesMare of Earth can name that song in three notesMare of Earth can name that song in three notesMare of Earth can name that song in three notesMare of Earth can name that song in three notesMare of Earth can name that song in three notesMare of Earth can name that song in three notesMare of Earth can name that song in three notesMare of Earth can name that song in three notesMare of Earth can name that song in three notes

Device: Kindle Scribe, Kindle Paperwhite 4
I am mailing in my application today. Thank you to everyone who figured this out - my local library has almost no ebooks in their tiny collection that I wish to read.

Last edited by Mare of Earth; 11-24-2010 at 01:27 PM. Reason: No emailed application in US
Mare of Earth is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-24-2010, 01:27 PM   #138
thinkpad
David
thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, E.Edge (sold), Irex Iliad (retired)
I've had the library card for several weeks but so far I haven't found anything I want to read. Any tips on good books that the library has?
thinkpad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2010, 01:41 PM   #139
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkpadx View Post
I've had the library card for several weeks but so far I haven't found anything I want to read. Any tips on good books that the library has?
Why don't you email them a request for a book you'd like? Every(*) book I've requested so far, they've added to the library. They are very pleasant to deal with.

* Every = 4
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2010, 02:51 PM   #140
Marcy
Guru
Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2
Quote:
Really? I've found so many!

I suggest going to advanced search, select only epub format, click the box to only show available titles and then browse the results. You can pick only a certain genre if you like. They currently have 1272 epub books available, and by available, I mean ready to check out with no waiting. There are 2722 epub books in total.

There has to be something you'd like to read in the 1272!

-Marcy
Marcy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-24-2010, 03:12 PM   #141
thinkpad
David
thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, E.Edge (sold), Irex Iliad (retired)
Thank you Marcy. I followed your advice and found something instantly
thinkpad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2010, 03:56 PM   #142
Marcy
Guru
Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2
Quote:
Thank you Marcy. I followed your advice and found something instantly
You're welcome! I'm glad it helped. I get so much from there I couldn't believe there wasn't something for you.

-Marcy
Marcy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2010, 06:38 PM   #143
Almas
Addict
Almas has a spectacular aura aboutAlmas has a spectacular aura aboutAlmas has a spectacular aura aboutAlmas has a spectacular aura aboutAlmas has a spectacular aura aboutAlmas has a spectacular aura aboutAlmas has a spectacular aura aboutAlmas has a spectacular aura aboutAlmas has a spectacular aura aboutAlmas has a spectacular aura aboutAlmas has a spectacular aura about

Device: Kindle Touch; Sony PRS-600
Quote:
Originally Posted by antistar View Post
Just got my number and pin, yay~
mailed in the application on the 18th. Got a reply saying they received it on the 19th. had the account paid and ready a few hours ago. Now I am a happy member of the Free Library of Philadelphia!
The collection is decent, though I have to queue for a lot of the books that I am interested in. But once I found something I can check out right away, it will last me through the waiting. Who needs more than one book to read at one time, anyway?
Thank you Almas and all those people who shared their experience. You guys are just awsome!
You are welcome! I am so happy that so many people have been able to benefit
Almas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 07:48 AM   #144
James_Wilde
Guru
James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Iriver Story
Now I've got my card and d/l'd my first book. Had to chase them, they lost the email. But they fixed it whilst I waited in the telephone.

Thanks to all who suggested this.
James_Wilde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010, 02:02 PM   #145
khintul
Enthusiast
khintul doesn't litterkhintul doesn't litter

Device: Kindle2, Kindle 3, PRS-300, PRS-350, PaperWhite 1, Kobo Aura HD
Questions on Philly Free Library

I'm ready to send my check for a card, but I'm wondering a few things. The site is nearly non-moving today, so I'm really not able to look around as much as I want. Thought maybe someone who has a card could tell me--

I don't seem to be able to browse the book selection without first entering an account number (which I don't have yet); is that the way it works, or is that just something that is part of the current slowdown? With my own library I can browse books all I want, and only when I want to request a book do I need to enter my card number.

Does the library have a large selection of titles? Again, my own library just recently added the ebook offering, and currently they have only 561 titles, and I'd say 40-50% of those are public domain books I could get any day (don't know why anyone would check out a book from the library when they could have it free)

What time frame for lending do they have? Here, I'm able to choose only from a 7 day lending, or a 14 day lending period. Guess that's really enough though.

Any other tips/hints, etc anyone could give me would be appreciated. Thanks!!
khintul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010, 02:14 PM   #146
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
I don't belong, but most libraries using OverDrive - the private company that public libraries use to get their ebooks from - are experiencing a slowdown. OverDrive didn't anticipate such a huge hit on their servers following Christmas and are working to fix it. It may be this way for several more days, so keep trying.

And you don't need an account to view available content.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010, 02:16 PM   #147
Purple Lady
Grand Sorcerer
Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Huawei MediaPad M5, LG V30, Boyue T80S, Nexus 7 LTE, K3 3G, Fire HD8
I just tried and can't get in either. I have never had to log in before to browse their book selection and they do have current books and a pretty large selection.

Since I can't get in I can't tell you how many. But I have found plenty here that aren't in my local library.

The time frame is 7, 14, or 21 days.
Purple Lady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010, 03:38 PM   #148
GreenEyedLady
A Lover of Books
GreenEyedLady turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.GreenEyedLady turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.GreenEyedLady turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.GreenEyedLady turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.GreenEyedLady turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.GreenEyedLady turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.GreenEyedLady turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.GreenEyedLady turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.GreenEyedLady turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.GreenEyedLady turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.GreenEyedLady turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.

Device: Nook Classic, Ipad 2
I have been a member for about 2 weeks. The site has about 3,914 ebooks, which I believe they add to monthly. Most of these are EPUB, with a few PDF.

I've never had problems accessing the site, until the last couple of days. Try logging on later at night after 10pm, I was able to get on at that time last night without problem.

They seem to have a good selection of books and you can choose to check them out for 7, 14, or 21 days. There is also an option via digital editions to return ebooks early if you would like to.

Deb
GreenEyedLady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010, 04:26 PM   #149
khintul
Enthusiast
khintul doesn't litterkhintul doesn't litter

Device: Kindle2, Kindle 3, PRS-300, PRS-350, PaperWhite 1, Kobo Aura HD
Thanks to everyone for answering - my app is now ready to go in the mail!!
khintul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 05:36 AM   #150
nwinter
Zealot
nwinter has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.nwinter has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.nwinter has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.nwinter has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.nwinter has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: sony PS-505, Iphone and about to add a Kindle DX
Okay - so I need some help on the freelibrary site. I have sent an email off to the library but figure so many of you use it you might be able to help me out.

I log on via freelibrary.com. Click on the purple banner for download books etc and it takes me to the over drive site which is fine. (I note the advanced search has disappeared where you could select books available at the moment option)

so, pick out a book ( audio in this case), add it and chceck out. Got to my accoutn ( again on the overdrive account) to download the book and I get this.

"OverDrive WMA Audiobook (85673 kb)
This title is not available for download from our mobile site. Please login to your account at http://freelibrary.lib.overdrive.com on your computer to download this title. You may then transfer it to your supported mobile device."

so when you look at the address it sends you to - its the overdrive site - which is the one that I am already on. There is no download button or anything so when you go to the page - its the page you are currently on - on my computer - and not on a mobile device.

Can anyone out there help me at all????? Is there a video somewhere to show you what to do?

Thanks

Pretty frustrated at the moment
nwinter is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
australia, free library, new zealand, non-us, philadelphia