Other 14 6.11%
Voters: 229. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-01-2010, 10:32 AM   #31
tasomaniac
tasomaniac began at the beginning.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich_D View Post
Yesterday I just bought a second nook for my wife. We have completely different tastes in books, so sharing books or accounts wasn't even a consideration. Battery life isn't important to me, I don't think it's a big deal to plug it in every 3 or 4 days. Neither is a difference of a couple ounces. The nook weighs about as much as a book. I'm fine with that.

The LCD screen means the kindle will always be lighter and have better battery life. I like the looks of the nook with the lcd screen better than the keyboard on the kindle.

I also like that the nook reads epub and is a little more open than the kindle.

That's what it comes down to - what you prefer. Neither is a poor choice.
You have just confused me more. The battery is not a big deal for me neither. Kindle's weight is a plus. Opennes of the nook is the most important thing to me.

But I'm in Turkey and nobody knows about nook. But most of the people knows what the kindle is. I tought that if nook 2 is out with better specs I can sell my kindle in Turkey with a good price and buy a nook 2. Electronic gadgets are a bit expensive in Turkey. If I buy the nook, I cannot sell it here because nobody wont prefer it in Turkey. Is my decision right?
tasomaniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2010, 11:55 AM   #32
Rich_D
Fanatic
Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Android phone, Kobo Glo HD, nook ST with Glo (backup)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tasomaniac View Post
You have just confused me more. The battery is not a big deal for me neither. Kindle's weight is a plus. Opennes of the nook is the most important thing to me.

But I'm in Turkey and nobody knows about nook. But most of the people knows what the kindle is. I tought that if nook 2 is out with better specs I can sell my kindle in Turkey with a good price and buy a nook 2. Electronic gadgets are a bit expensive in Turkey. If I buy the nook, I cannot sell it here because nobody wont prefer it in Turkey. Is my decision right?
Your decision seems sound. I'm not an international user, so at this point I would go with the availability of books.
Rich_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-28-2010, 11:07 AM   #33
cypresstwist
Nooking in Romania
cypresstwist doesn't littercypresstwist doesn't littercypresstwist doesn't litter

Device: Nook WiFi
I was undecided between getting a Nook or a Kindle 3. I like the Nook better so I got one in the end.
cypresstwist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2010, 01:19 PM   #34
SandyBrooks
SandyBrooks began at the beginning.

Device: Sony pocket
I have the nook, and if the Kindle 3 would have been available when I bought it, I would have picked the kindle. It's just superior in so many ways, except for the lack of epub support. And with calibre to convert formats, I don't think its that big of a deal unless you want to be able to borrow ebooks from libraries. Personally though, I'm waiting for the next generation of the nook. Main thing I want to see in it is better better screen, and lighter weight, and better battery life (in that order of preference).
SandyBrooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2010, 09:10 PM   #35
morari
The Word-Eater
morari began at the beginning.

Device: Nook WiFi
Maybe I'm just sheltered, but the Nook's screen is nothing to complain about. Likewise, it weighs a lot less than almost any physical book I own.
morari is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-30-2010, 08:30 AM   #36
GERGE
Guru
GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra
Quote:
Originally Posted by tasomaniac View Post
Don't say nobody, I use Nook and I am quite happy with it. I buy most of my books from WHSmith (they have books that neither B&N or Amazon have) and some of the magazines I read are only available as ePubs. For me, as long as there is no Epub support, buying Kindle isn't even an option. I know that you can strip DRM (I did it a few times just to see if I could) and convert to mobi, but I don't want to do it. I want to press buy and read.

PS: If you are in Ankara I can show you the Nook.

Last edited by GERGE; 08-30-2010 at 08:33 AM.
GERGE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 10:46 AM   #37
Kypt
Connoisseur
Kypt began at the beginning.

Device: nook, Kindle 3
I would say nook except I haven't had a chance to hold a Kindle 3 in my hands. I love the nook's screen, look, and feel, however the battery life does make me want to get a kindle. With that said, however, I do not want to be locked to the Kindle store regardless how good it is. One way or another I'll withhold vote until my friend gets his new Kindle and I've had a chance to play with it.
Kypt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 12:29 PM   #38
graycyn
Wizard
graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Kindle Oasis 2, Sony PRS-T2
I was torn between Kindle and Nook before hubby and I made our purchases. What won me over to nook was being able to borrow ebooks from the library and the more open format, which, after that 50% off Fictionwise code this weekend, I am definitely appreciating!

I would not now give up my nook for a Kindle 3. Yes, I might like the extra battery life, but I'm not that fond of button pushing, I love the nook swipe. I also often read while eating and a smooth touchscreen is easier to clean. I wouldn't mind the lighter weight of the Kindle, but I can live with the weight of my nook just fine.

I've seen direct comparison pictures between the new Kindle 3 screen and the nook... I'd say the Kindle 3 is only marginally better. The nook screen is just fine!
graycyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 10:56 PM   #39
sarahsbloke
Connoisseur
sarahsbloke began at the beginning.

Device: Original Nook, Kindle Keyboard
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kypt View Post
I would say nook except I haven't had a chance to hold a Kindle 3 in my hands. I love the nook's screen, look, and feel, however the battery life does make me want to get a kindle. With that said, however, I do not want to be locked to the Kindle store regardless how good it is. One way or another I'll withhold vote until my friend gets his new Kindle and I've had a chance to play with it.
Kindle does MOBI (without DRM)
Nook does EPUB

Both formats are easy to get and convert between in a few seconds.
Kindle doesn't lock you into anything (unless you buy everything from Amazon with DRM on it, but same for Nook and B&N)

I have a Nook, but battery life is poor (about 10 hours reading), the OS is flaky. In the morning the battery might be dead, even with a full charge at night. It might not wake up from sleep and I have to pull and insert the battery while plugged into a PC. I just want to read books, the Nook doesn't always allow me to do that (it works properly about 28 days out of 30). The Kindle is far more stable (battery life about 30 hours) reading, and if choosing again I would go for a Kindle.

I don't live in the USA, I can't change it for a new one, many Nooks have problems and require returns to B&N. Not a problem if you live in the USA. I would say this device is really not suitable for residents of other countries.

Last edited by sarahsbloke; 08-30-2010 at 10:58 PM.
sarahsbloke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 02:45 AM   #40
GreenMonkey
DRM hater
GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook ST glow, Kindle Voyage
We have both in my house. I went with the Nook - I prefer the more universal epub, a little bit. At least it is sold at different stores. Conversion works, but not always perfectly.

I also prefer the replaceable battery (I think sarahsbloke should try replacing the battery in her unit), the memory card slot, and general attitude towards openness. The LCD screen is a bit slow to respond, but the e-ink screens are laggy anyway. It makes it more flexible - as we've seen with ipod touches and the like, a touchscreen LCD can be adapted to multiple uses, and I prefer it to the whole keyboard on the Kindle.

The wife has a Kindle 2 though. She prefers the ease of use, loves Amazon, and doesn't really feel like price shopping on the books too much. She is willing to put up with DRM for saving space on her admittedly crowded bookcase (I'll strip the DRM from her books when I get some time).
GreenMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 09:41 AM   #41
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX Graphite, K3 3G, IPad 3, PW2
A question for Nook users using the SD card slot. Do you notice hang ups and lag times? I know that the K1 had some problems with people using too big a memory card that would lead to indexing issues. This influenced the battery life and led to many a reset. While Amazon has never said so, I believe that the number of customer calls based on memory card hang ups was the reason that the memory card slot went away.

I have the K1 and have never used the memory card. I could carry 300 books with me and the archiving ability from Amazon was more then enough for me. With the DXG I can carry something like 4,500 books with me and the collections feature lets me sort them easily enough.

So I guess I am curious if Nook users have had the same memroy card issues as Kindle users did (I think it was over 4 GB memory cards that started have problems) and how many people actually use the memory card slot.
ProfCrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 05:13 PM   #42
Doug Pardee
Zealot
Doug Pardee is the king of the Divan.Doug Pardee is the king of the Divan.Doug Pardee is the king of the Divan.Doug Pardee is the king of the Divan.Doug Pardee is the king of the Divan.Doug Pardee is the king of the Divan.Doug Pardee is the king of the Divan.Doug Pardee is the king of the Divan.Doug Pardee is the king of the Divan.Doug Pardee is the king of the Divan.Doug Pardee is the king of the Divan.

Device: B&N NOOK 3G
Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahsbloke View Post
Kindle doesn't lock you into anything (unless you buy everything from Amazon with DRM on it, but same for Nook and B&N)
Mostly, but B&N has shared its DRM system with Adobe, which is incorporating it into Adobe Reader Mobile. A number of e-reader models were announced this year that were able to read B&N e-books. Most of them sank beneath the waves when the price war started. The Pandigital Novel is the most notable survivor, and it's mainly notable in that not many users seem to like it.

There's a good possibility that someday the B&N e-books will be readable on a wide variety of devices. But it isn't today, and from the looks of things it won't be this year.
Doug Pardee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 06:53 PM   #43
geertm
Guru
geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahsbloke View Post
Kindle does MOBI (without DRM)
Nook does EPUB

Both formats are easy to get and convert between in a few seconds.
Most books the average reader would like to buy will have DRM. And you can only convert books that have no DRM.
The great thing about the Nook is that it not only supports ePub with the B&N DRM, but also ePub with the regular Adobe DRM.
So unlike the Kindle you are not locked into just one store for DRM books, but you can buy DRM books from almost every bookstore worldwide, except Amazon.

This means for example that I can buy Dutch e-books at Bol.com here in the Netherlands, and read those books on my Nook. Something not possible with the Kindle. I can also buy books at UK bookstores like Waterstones and WH Smith. And if a book is not available at B&N and the publisher has released an ePub version of the book, I can buy it at other stores like Kobobooks or Booksonboard.
geertm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 10:58 PM   #44
aagstn
Evangelist
aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 3, iPad mini 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Pardee View Post
Mostly, but B&N has shared its DRM system with Adobe, which is incorporating it into Adobe Reader Mobile. A number of e-reader models were announced this year that were able to read B&N e-books. Most of them sank beneath the waves when the price war started. The Pandigital Novel is the most notable survivor, and it's mainly notable in that not many users seem to like it.

There's a good possibility that someday the B&N e-books will be readable on a wide variety of devices. But it isn't today, and from the looks of things it won't be this year.
The Jetbook Lite which a lot of people do like also got updated and supports both DRM versions of ePub.
aagstn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 07:28 PM   #45
Paco
Paco began at the beginning.

Device: iPod Touch
Just got my nook today, finally, I must say is a beutiful piece of hardware, I don't really care about battery life, the openess of the device is what it matters.

Of course if you go for a Kindle 3 you probably wont regret either, is just a matter of what you prefer, be tied to Amazon or be tied but with a great range of choices with the nook.

BTW: did you see this comparison between K2 and K3? Interesting to see, anyway the screen of the nook is awesome And I found the keyboard of the kindle awful.

http://kindleworld.blogspot.com/2010...of-screen.html
Paco is offline   Reply With Quote