Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

Old 02-05-2010, 08:47 PM   #31
van_that
van_that began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Using Nook in Canada

Hi. I have a Kindle currently but don't like the fact that I never actually 'own' my books.

With the Nook, have you bought ebooks from other providers (not just B&N) for your device? I have quite a few secure reader ebooks and I understand you can add these to the Nook device?

If anyone has any info here, would be much appreciated.

Thanks,
van_that is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 08:49 PM   #32
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by van_that View Post
Hi. I have a Kindle currently but don't like the fact that I never actually 'own' my books.

With the Nook, have you bought ebooks from other providers (not just B&N) for your device? I have quite a few secure reader ebooks and I understand you can add these to the Nook device?

If anyone has any info here, would be much appreciated.

Thanks,
Hmmm? There's no difference in "owning" ebooks for Kindle or for Nook. Unless I'm not understanding what you are saying.
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-28-2010, 02:08 AM   #33
HoJen
HoJen began at the beginning.

Device: none
Registration of nook for Canadian ???

Crod:

I'm about to receive a nook, via the purchase mechanism you described. Just have one question: for the initial registration of the device, did you use a Canadian address ? I was wondering if that might compromise potential purchase of certain US-restricted ebooks.
HoJen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 12:56 PM   #34
bluegazoo
bluegazoo began at the beginning.

Device: none
I've been shopping for an eReader for about 3 or 4 weeks now and still don't have all the answers... and still don't have an eReader...

Here's what know.
1. The Kindle uses proprietary formats that cannot be shared or copied between devices. This is the #1 reason i have taken the Kindle off my list.

2. The Nook is more open-format. You can read any PDF or Word file created by anybody; plus a bunch of other formats.

3. Kindle (Amazon) has the cheapest books; then the Kobo; then Barnes and Noble. I checked 10 books from all 3 vendors. Example: Amazon: $8.49, Kobo: $10.13; Nook (Barns and Noble) $12.99.

4. The Nook has upgradable memory, excellent color screen, can access the internet and use aps from Android (Google). But i heard the apps have been disabled (not sure about t his).

5. When i try to buy the Nook (from Canada) B&N web site says "can't deliver to that address".

Here's what I don't know:
6. Do any of these eBook stores not sell certain eBooks outside the US too? If so... Why?

7. Why are eBooks just as expensive (or more expensive) than paper books? This is bull&#$t. With all the waste of material, packaging, transportation, stocking, and disposal that is eliminated, you'd think these companies would share the savings a bit... they are saving billions and pocketing those billions. Can you say "Music Industry"?

8. When will they finally combine the function of the smart phone, the diverse use of the Tablet, and the size of the eReaders so we can all walk around with Star Trek Tri-Corders!?? And why is it taking these dinosaurs soooo long to get it right??? Star Trek has been out since the 1960's !

And oh yeah... they would have to add a little 'notch' in this device that holds the bluetooth ear piece so i don't have to buy a new one every 2 months!

(My money is on RIM to develop this first... they seem to be a company that focuses on quality product - and apparently are one of the few...)
bluegazoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 01:22 PM   #35
geertm
Guru
geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One
I've been shopping for an eReader for about 3 or 4 weeks now and still don't have all the answers... and still don't have an eReader...

Here's what know.
1. The Kindle uses proprietary formats that cannot be shared or copied between devices. This is the #1 reason i have taken the Kindle off my list.

You can share Kindle books, but only by sharing the same Kindle account.

2. The Nook is more open-format. You can read any PDF or Word file created by anybody; plus a bunch of other formats.

3. Kindle (Amazon) has the cheapest books; then the Kobo; then Barnes and Noble. I checked 10 books from all 3 vendors. Example: Amazon: $8.49, Kobo: $10.13; Nook (Barns and Noble) $12.99.

Kobo is Canadian, at the moment there is no agency model in Canada. In the US the 6 agency publishers are setting fixed prices that the e-book stores are not allowed to discount. So books from the 6 agency publishers (most popular books) will have the same price at Amazon and B&N.
For most other books there is usually not much of a difference in price between B&N and Amazon.

4. The Nook has upgradable memory, excellent color screen, can access the internet and use aps from Android (Google). But i heard the apps have been disabled (not sure about t his).

The Nook Color has no Google market (current Google market rules would not allow this anyway). B&N has said that in Q1 2011 (so hopefully this week or next week) there will be an update to Android 2.2 which wille add flash support. And also that an B&N appstore will become available. This will be a specific B&N appstore.
You can root the Nook Color to install the Google Market.

5. When i try to buy the Nook (from Canada) B&N web site says "can't deliver to that address".

B&N only ships the Nook to US addresses. You will have to use an US mail forwarding address (from sites like Borderlinx or USunlocked).
Here's what I don't know:

6. Do any of these eBook stores not sell certain eBooks outside the US too? If so... Why?

Most B&N e-books are only sold to the US. Because some books are sold to Canada, the simple workaround for Canadian users is to register your B&N account with a US shipping and billing address, any valid address will work.
(Users outside the US/Canada also need an US VPN to get an US IP-address, but Canadian IP-addresses are allowed because some books are sold there).

7. Why are eBooks just as expensive (or more expensive) than paper books? This is bull&#$t. With all the waste of material, packaging, transportation, stocking, and disposal that is eliminated, you'd think these companies would share the savings a bit... they are saving billions and pocketing those billions. Can you say "Music Industry"?

Please research the agency model. The 6 big agency publishers are setting fix prices that books stores are not allowed to discount.
But those stores are allowed to discount the paperback/hardback version of the same book.

8. When will they finally combine the function of the smart phone, the diverse use of the Tablet, and the size of the eReaders so we can all walk around with Star Trek Tri-Corders!?? And why is it taking these dinosaurs soooo long to get it right??? Star Trek has been out since the 1960's !

And oh yeah... they would have to add a little 'notch' in this device that holds the bluetooth ear piece so i don't have to buy a new one every 2 months!

(My money is on RIM to develop this first... they seem to be a company that focuses on quality product - and apparently are one of the few...)
geertm is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-24-2011, 01:45 AM   #36
Daryl White
Daryl White began at the beginning.

Device: Nook
Just bought a nook and will be returning to Canada next week. I am going to root the nook and turn it into an android touch pad. I can then download the Kindle app for android and purchase from the Kindle store. I have also been able to drag and drop ePub books from my computer to the nook.
Daryl White is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 06:56 AM   #37
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daryl White View Post
Just bought a nook and will be returning to Canada next week. I am going to root the nook and turn it into an android touch pad. I can then download the Kindle app for android and purchase from the Kindle store. I have also been able to drag and drop ePub books from my computer to the nook.
Cool! And welcome to MR!
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 08:15 PM   #38
canadiannook
canadiannook began at the beginning.

Device: Nook Color
Just wanted to "pay it forward" - I did tons and tons of research on which ereader would work best for me. Decided on the Nook Color and then went to order it and got the dreaded "can not ship to Canada" message.

After looking through various other forums to find a way to order one I came across a website in Canada that DOES sell the Nook it is:

www.shopereaders.com

The Nook Color is currently $309. CAN and shipping with Canada Post was $26.73 for a grand total of $335.73 CAN. Payment is processed through PayPal. I just ordered it so I will let you know how smooth the process goes. Hopefully I will have it with in the next week.

I really had my heart set on the Nook Color so it looks like there is an option for Canadians to have it shipped here. The pricing may seem high but by the time you add B&N charges plus import duties and US Unlocked shipping fees I think I came out about $30.00 cheaper based on information I was able to gather from other posters.

Now it just the waiting for delivery!!!
canadiannook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 07:32 PM   #39
Phoenyx
Kobo/Nook user
Phoenyx began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Touch & Nook Colour
Ok so I feel bad for saying this but I bought my Nook off someone who got 2 for Xmas and sold me his extra one for $140 (yay for me!) but since I am new to the ebook experience I am not having luck with the B&N site to retrieve books or apps for the Nook. Clues?
Also what is rooting?
Thanx
Phoenyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 11:14 PM   #40
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
Is the Nook you bought from your friend perhaps still registered in your friend's name at Barnes & Noble? If your friend registered it, or if someone registered it for your friend, and wasn't de-registered before coming into your possession and re-registered in your name, you wouldn't be able to download books from B&N.
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 12:01 PM   #41
Phoenyx
Kobo/Nook user

Hi,

Yea I de-registered it and reregistered it to myself with my Ottawa address. When I tried to make a purchase it liked my address fine but not my credit card as it was a Canadian card andthey wanted one with an American address.
Old 02-28-2012, 12:44 PM   #42
Asawi
Gadgetoholic
Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2, Tolino Vision 6
Yeas, BN wants American credit cards. At the very least an American address. I can download free stuff even though I've got a non-US credit card (American address) but nothing that costs money.
It use to be they also wanted a US IP, but their policy about that may have changed. Don't know.
If this is a Color it's very easy to root. Rooting means you sort of open it up so you can load apps fron Android Market and other sources.
Asawi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 03:35 PM   #43
geertm
Guru
geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phoenyx View Post
Hi,

Yea I de-registered it and reregistered it to myself with my Ottawa address. When I tried to make a purchase it liked my address fine but not my credit card as it was a Canadian card andthey wanted one with an American address.
Just register your B&N account with an US shipping and billing address. Any valid address will do, just Google something. The billing address is not checked, so your Canadian credit card will work fine.

A VPN is not needed, because Canadian IP-addresses are allowed (because some ebooks are sold to Canada).
geertm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 03:46 PM   #44
Phoenyx
Kobo/Nook user

Thank you
I used my old address when I lived in MD and it worked
My first purchase Angry birds Rio for the kids but many does that use a lot of juice when you play