Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 08-24-2010, 02:05 AM   #61
dreams
It's about the umbrella
dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 505| K Fire | KK 3G+Wi-Fi | iPhone 3Gs |Vista 32-bit Hm Prem w/FF
I don't know about the Kobo, but I have a Sony 505 and have an account there. I have ADE on my computer and have my computer and Sony registered with ADE. These are DRM'd epub files.

I click on "add to library" so it will be save for me there.

Next, I click on "download".
When the window opens, I click on "open with" Adobe Digital Editions.
Then I click on "OK".

Then ADE opens and shows the book there.

From our MR Wiki:
Quote:
acsm

When you download an encrypted DRM file such as one from a library you might see a .acsm file instead of the file you wanted. Generally this is invisible if everything is set up correctly.

The .acsm file is a small transfer file that contains the encryption codes necessary for downloading the actual eBook. All you should need to do is open the .acsm file using Adobe Digital Editions. Usually, when you install ADE it tells your web Browser to do this automatically when it sees an .acsm file.
I hope this helps.
Old 08-25-2010, 02:22 AM   #62
jhempel24
Wizard
jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle Paperwhite, B&N Nook Colro
That did it thanks....just wondering why there is DRM on a book that's free...I hate stripping it to view in Calibre...oh well, I got the file, and it works thanks for the info!!!
Advert
Old 08-25-2010, 02:45 AM   #63
jhempel24
Wizard
jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle Paperwhite, B&N Nook Colro
Just finished reading the entire thread, I thought the "free" books would all be classics or something, I was entirely wrong! I can't wait to get into reading some of these....WOW!!
Old 08-25-2010, 09:01 AM   #64
koland
Grand Sorcerer
koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle(all), nook, nookcolor, Sony, Kobo, epic, iphone, iPad, pc
Nope, no "classics" here (at least, no public domain ones).

Julip ($8.80 Kindle), by Jim Harrison, is free in the Sony bookstore today.

Book Description
In three novellas, Jim Harrison takes us on an American journey as he leads us through the wondrous landscape of the human heart. Julip follows a bright and resourceful young woman as she tries to spring her brother from a Florida jail-he shot three of her former lovers "below the belt." The Seven-Ounce Man continues the picaresque adventures of Brown Dog, a Michigan scoundrel who loves to eat, drink, and chase women, all while sailing along in the bottom 10 percent. The Beige Dolorosa is the haunting tale of an academic who, recovering from the repercussions of a sexual harassment scandal, turns to the natural world for solace. In each of these stories, the irresistible pull of nature becomes a magnificent backdrop for exploring the toughest questions about life and love.

Click HERE for the free download.
Old 08-31-2010, 01:36 PM   #65
koland
Grand Sorcerer
koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

It's not quite the same as the 92 listed in the iBooks store, but Amazon and Sony have these ebooks for free (links are to Amazon, you'll have to search on Sony, sorry).

1. Sharp Vocab: Building Better Vocabulary Skills
2. Sharp Writing: Building Better Writing Skills
3. Kaplan ACT Strategies for Super Busy Students: 15 Simple Steps to Tackle the ACT While Keeping Your Life Together
4. Kaplan SAT Score-Raising Dictionary
5. Kaplan Portable GMAT
6. Kaplan Portable GRE
7. Kaplan CCRN: Certification for Adult, Pediatric, and Neonatal Critical Care Nurses
8. Kaplan PMBR Final: Constitutional Law: Core Concepts and Key Questions
9. Kaplan PMBR: Multistate Professional Responsibility Exam
Advert
Old 09-02-2010, 09:41 AM   #66
koland
Grand Sorcerer

Today's 99 cent book from Carina Press is Texas Tangle (Kindle), by Leah Braemel. There may be no content warning, but I think the cover should be sufficient to clue you in that this one is more erotica than romance.

Book Description
Thanks to her cheating ex-husband and her thieving brother, all horse breeder Nikki Kimball has left is a bruised heart, an overdrawn bank account and an empty home. When sex-on-legs Dillon Barnett and his brooding foster-brother Brett Anderson start showing more than just neighborly attention, Nikki is intrigued...and a little gun-shy.

Dillon and Brett have a history; back in high school, the two friends fought a bitter battle over Nikki. Now, ten years later, Brett still longs to be the man in Nikki's life, but he's determined to stand back and let Dillon win Nikki's heart.

Society says Nikki must choose between the two men she loves. Is Nikki strong enough to break all the rules in order to find happiness?

You can also get this one at Kobo and at B&N for the same price.
Old 09-02-2010, 09:46 PM   #67
Critteranne
Guru
Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iPad
Some Free Christian YA Novels
Catwalk by Melody Carlson
http://search.barnesandnoble.com/Cat.../9780310426684

Motorcycles, Sushi & One Strange Book by Nancy N. Rue
http://search.barnesandnoble.com/Mot.../9780310575917

Sophie's World by Nancy Rue
http://search.barnesandnoble.com/Sop.../9780310568834

Sophie's Secret by Nancy Rue
http://search.barnesandnoble.com/Sop.../9780310568711

Free Erotic Romance from Samhain
The Pearl at the Gate by Anya Delvay
http://search.barnesandnoble.com/The.../9781599981895

Note the content warning: Warning: No demure Regency here! Graphic and explicit everything, including language and sex of all varieties (as could be expected from an Alpha male more accustomed to bordellos than ballrooms) and, be warned, your grandmother s pearls will never look the same to you again.

Free Thriller
Hostile Intent by Michael Walsh
http://search.barnesandnoble.com/Hos.../9780786022885

The sequel just came out in mass market paperback. And the e-book edition of the sequel is only $4.47 as of now:
http://search.barnesandnoble.com/boo...6026272/?itm=3
Old 09-03-2010, 10:29 AM   #68
koland
Grand Sorcerer

Barnes and Noble is continuing their free Classics in the B&N Free Library this week, with a new set of free classics, eleven of which have not be offered for free previously. This weeks theme is Around the World in 5,792 Pages:

1. Kim by Rudyard Kipling
2. Prince and the Pauper by Mark Twain
3. The Jungle Books by Rudyard Kipling
4. Arabian Nights by Anonymous
5. Fairy Tales by Hans Christian Andersen
6. Connecticut Yankee in King Arthur's Court by Mark Twain
7. Enchanted Castle and Five Children and It by Edith Nesbit
8. Canterbury Tales by Geoffrey Chaucer
9. King Solomon's Mines by H. Rider Haggard
10. Gulliver's Travels by Jonathan Swift
11. Two Years Before the Mast by Richard Henry
12. Sailing Alone Around the World by Joshua Slocum
Old 09-09-2010, 12:06 AM   #69
koland
Grand Sorcerer

The Big 5-OH! ($9.99 Kindle), by Sandra D Bricker, is free in the Barnes and Noble ebookstore tonight.

Book Description
Olivia Wallace has a birthday curse . . . or so she thinks. It was a broken heart on her 16th, a car accident on her 21st, pneumonia on her 30th, and a fall down a flight of stairs on her 35th. There were Ohio blizzards on her 38th, 39th, and 40th; and six days before her 45th, she lost the love of her life to a heart attack. Numbing grief stole that birthday and a couple more to follow and, on the morning of her 48th birthday, she received the call she’d dreaded ever since losing her mom so many years ago…she was diagnosed with stage-3 ovarian cancer. The doctors didn’t hold out a lot of hope, but Liv survived and maintained her faith. Months of surgeries and chemotherapy and radiation treatments followed.

But now, as her 50th birthday creeps up the icy Ohio path toward her, her hair has grown back, her energy level is up, and she is officially cancer free. It makes her nervous. After everything she’s gone through, Liv hates the idea of driving on icy roads and returning to work as an O.R. nurse in a local Cincinnati hospital.

Her best friend Hallie knows just the thing to break Liv out of the winter doldrums, while providing a safe haven of warmth, sunshine, and a time to regroup: a holiday in the Florida sunshine!

Click HERE to get the free book from B&N.
Old 09-10-2010, 10:58 PM   #70
jeffcobb
Groupie
jeffcobb will become famous soon enoughjeffcobb will become famous soon enoughjeffcobb will become famous soon enoughjeffcobb will become famous soon enoughjeffcobb will become famous soon enoughjeffcobb will become famous soon enoughjeffcobb will become famous soon enough

Device: Nook, CoolER
Gutenberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by ow88 View Post
Perhaps I should contribute to this thread. Credits goes to a yahoo user.

manybooks.net
gutenberg.org
Second, third and fourth on Project Gutenberg. With todays broadband you can download a 7 gig mirror of the free book collection. This was my first place to get ebooks when I first got a device capable of that (cannot remember what exactly, think it was one of the early Sanyo Z series PDAs). This results in something in the neighborhood of 22 thousand books. My first stories out of this were the excellent Barsoom series by Edgar Rice Burroughs (really early scifi/fantasy, surprisingly good) and The Count of Monte Cristo. The latter I had never read nor seen and had a long period in the hospital with my wife...it helped me keep my sanity since she was the patient and was drugged most of the time.

I heartily recommend this site. Also (might have already done it in some thread here; I recommend this to so many people I forget who/when) but if you are a Browncoat (Firefly fan) the free ebook by scifi author Steven Brust, "My Kind of Freedom" is really great.
Old 09-15-2010, 01:31 AM   #71
koland
Grand Sorcerer

Sheltering Hearts, a short story by Robyn Carr, is free in the Kindle, Harlequin, B&N and Sony ebookstores.

Book Description
In this touching story, single mother Dory Finn has focused her life on raising her two children and the volunteer work she does with single parents. After a bad experience in the romance department, Dory is not looking for love. But her feelings begin to change when Clay Kennedy moves in next door and makes his way into both her heart and her children's hearts. Dory must overcome the past in order to learn to love again.

Originally published in the sixth annual More Than Words anthology ($9.54 Kindle):

Little by little, one person at a time, we can make our world a better place. The five dedicated women selected as this year’s recipients of Harlequin’s More Than Words award have done just that, by discovering a seed of compassion, and nurturing it to effect real change in their communities. To celebrate their accomplishments, five bestselling authors have honored the winners by writing short stories inspired by these real-life heroines.

Click HERE to get the book from B&N.
Click HERE to get the book from eHarlequin.
Click HERE to get the book from Sony.
Old 09-21-2010, 04:30 PM   #72
koland
Grand Sorcerer

The special edition of Hour of the Hunter: With Bonus Material (Kindle), by J. A. Jance, is once again available (and free). This one is supposed to have the corrected text (minus all the typos and formatting issues of the first edition). If you missed it the first time, don't dally in ordering it this time, as it will only be free "for a week" (which could mean anything, from a 7 day period to only until Friday).

Book Description
The hunter is free to kill again -- and hour by hour, he draws closer . . .

The brilliant psychopath Andrew Carlisle spent only six years in prison for the brutal torture–murder of a young girl of the Tohono O'otham tribe. The testimony of Diana Ladd -- a teacher on the reservation -- put Carlisle behind bars, and now she can't ignore the dark, mystical signs that say a predator has returned to prowl the Arizona desert. Because no matter where Diana and her young son hide . . . he will find them.

This is free in the Sony store and from Kobo, but not (at least, yet) from B&N.

Update: The book is now free again at B&N (although it won't appear in searches), HERE.

Last edited by koland; 09-22-2010 at 01:29 AM.
Old 09-22-2010, 01:40 AM   #73
koland
Grand Sorcerer

Dorchester Publishing has a late night gift for those who read EPUB format books in the US and Canada: 20 free books in the Kobo store. Genres include romance (contemporary, historical, paranormal, humor) & mystery/suspense/thrillers. Two of these were free earlier this month on Kindle, but the rest are new freebies. I checked a couple and they are generally selling for $4.79 to $5.59 each in the Kindle store. I don't know how long they'll last, so grab them while you can. Don't forget, click on Add to Library under the cover on each book, so you can re-download them later, if you need to.

Hunt At The Well Of Eternity, by Gabriel Hunt

A blood-stained Confederate flag and the beautiful woman carrying it put Gabriel Hunt on the trail of a secret hidden deep in the Central American jungle a secret that might just be the legendary Fountain of Youth…

What Burns Within, by Sandra Ruttan

One year ago, a brutal case almost destroyed three cops. Since then they've lost touch with one another, avoiding painful memories, content to go their own ways. Now Nolan is after a serial rapist. Hart is working on a string of arsons. And Tain has been assigned a series of child abductions, a case all too similar to that one. But when the body of one of the abduction victims is found at the site of one of the arsons, it starts to look like maybe these cases are connected after all....

The Cellar, by Richard Laymon

Visitors flock to see the Beast House with its blood-soaked corridors and creaky doors. Armed with video camcorders, these poor sould enter the forbidden house, never to return. The deeper they go into the house, the darker their nightmares become. Don't even think about going into the cellar.

Seven Brides: Rose, by Leigh Greenwood

Hired to keep house for George Randolph and his three unruly brothers at their ramshackle ranch, penniless and friendless Rose Thornton soon finds herself the object of affection for George.

Squeeze Play, by Kate Angell

The first in a steamy new series of romances featuring a hunky baseball team and the sirens who challenge the players in the game of love.

Pandora's Box, by Natale Stenzel

Hope remains . . .

All Pandemina Dorothy Avery ever wanted was to be beautifully, blessedly normal, with a stable career and a love life leading to a white picket fence and a happily-ever-after. That seems impossible now. Penniless and parted from her unfaithful boyfriend, unfairly shunned by her coworkers, not even Mina's recent inheritance can help -- especially not when it amounts to a ten-pound rock box and guardianship of the horny, devious puca she released from inside. His name's Riordan, and he ain't no Harvey.

What's a puca, you ask? A tricky faery-type, whose magic not only includes shape-shifting into a magnificent black stallion and a snarky mutt, but the ability to manipulate human perceptions. And Riordan is hardly shy of manipulations: Wasn't that why he was imprisoned in the first place? He seems set upon making Mina's life harder than ever, whether it be with Jonathon Teague, the handsome contractor who wants to work on more than her house, or Mina's penitent ex-boyfriend. But as Riordan's very existence proves, things are not always what they seem, and what stepped out of that box might be the key to her dreams.

The Star King, by Susan Grant

A beautiful fighter pilot is shot down over Saudi Arabia, and ends up in the arms of the king of a distant galaxy.

Celtic Fire, by Joy Nash

When a Roman commander travels through Britannia to investigate a haunting vision, an ambush by hostile Celts leaves him with an unexpected prize--a beautifully enchanting witch.

Savage Autumn, by Constance O'Banyon

Joanna escapes the lustful clutches of her lecherous uncle only to be taken captive by a powerful Blackfoot warrior. But Joanna will soon learn that beneath Windhawk's proud exterior beats a heart that belongs only to her.

Noble Intentions, by Katie MacAlister

Unconventional to the tips of her half-American toes, Gillian sparks scandal among the townspeople and a burning desire in Noble's heart.

Sweet Release, by Pamela Clare

When a woman buys a dying convict to save his life, she little suspects he is truly an English aristocrat who will soon steal her heart.

Immortals: The Calling, by Jennifer Ashley

While investigating her sister's murder, Amber Silverthorne accidentally summons an Immortal warrior whose wicked charm and sinful touch could prove just as dangerous as the demon they're chasing.

Divine Fire, by Melanie Jackson

When a biographer proves to know more about his life than the now-immortal Lord Byron expects, he draws her into a dangerous game and his passionate arms.

A Taste Of Magic, by Tracy Madison

A young, divorced bakery owner discovers she's inherited her gypsy ancestress's fabulous magical powers, but learns that when seeking true love with her hunky new neighbor, a person has to be careful what she cooks up.

Crimson & Steam, by Liz Maverick

A new plot is developing in Crimson City one meant to destroy all vampires and werewolves and only it can bring together those ill-fated lovers from different species, Jill and Marius.

Stolen Fury, by Elisabeth Naughton

The heroine is an archaeologist looking for three ancient Greek artifacts called the Furies, and the hero is a thief who tried to seduce her to get the Furies for himself.

Trouble In Mudbug, by Jana DeLeon

With the wise-cracking ghost of her mother-in-law hounding her, a sexy half-Creole investigator ready to seduce her, and a killer on the loose, Maryse Robicheaux is feeling the heat on the Louisiana bayou.

Spying In High Heels, by Gemma Halliday

L.A. shoe designer, Maddie Springer, lives her life by three rules: Fashion. Fashion. Fashion. But when she stumbles upon the work of a brutal killer, her life takes an unexpected turn from Manolos to murder. And things only get worse when her boyfriend disappears—along with $20 million in embezzled funds—and her every move is suddenly under scrutiny by LAPD's sexiest cop. With the help of her post-menopausal bridezilla of a mother, a 300-pound psychic and one seriously oversexed best friend, Maddie finds herself stepping out of her stilettos and onto the trail of a murderer. But can she catch a killer before the killer catches up to her?

The Accidental Demon Slayer, by Angie Fox; this title has previously been free in the Kindle store.

It's never a good day when an ancient demon shows up on your toilet bowl. For Lizzie Brown, that's just the beginning. Soon her hyperactive terrier starts talking, and her long-lost biker witch Grandma is hurling Smuckers jars filled with magic. Just when she thinks she's seen it all, Lizzie learns she's a demon slayer-and all hell is after her.

Of course, that's not the only thing after her. Dimitri Kallinikos, a devastatingly handsome shape-shifting griffin needs Lizzie to slay a demon of his own. But how do you talk a girl you've never met into going straight to the underworld? Lie. And if that doesn't work, how dangerous could a little seduction be...?

Divorced, Desperate And Dating, by Christie Craig; this title has previously been free in the Kindle store.

A mystery writer is forced to reconsider her policy against dating when she is protected from death threats by the sexiest cop she's ever seen.
Old 09-24-2010, 01:10 PM   #74
koland
Grand Sorcerer

Enchanting the Lady ($5.39 Kindle), by Kathryne Kennedy, is free from Barnes & Noble today.

Book Description
In a Victorian London where titles are based on the inheritance of magical powers, a were-lion's obsessive quest for Merlin's relics will threaten his love for a disinherited duchess--as well as their very lives....

In a world where magic ruled everything, Felicity Seymour couldn't perform even the simplest spell. If she didn't pass her testing, she'd lose her duchy--and any hope of marriage. But one man didn't seem to mind her lack of dowry: a darkly delicious baronet who had managed to scare away the rest of London's Society misses.

Sir Terence Blackwell knew the enchanting woman before him wasn't entirely without magic. Not only could she completely disarm him with her gorgeous lavender eyes and frank candor, but his were-lion senses could smell a dark power on her--the same kind of relic-magic that had killed his brother. Was she using it herself, or was it being used against her?

One needed a husband, and the other needed answers. But only together could they find the strongest magic of all: true love.

Click HERE to get the free download.
Old 09-27-2010, 01:39 PM   #75
koland
Grand Sorcerer

The 7th Victim ($7.19 Kindle), by Alan Jacobson, is free at Kobo today, for those in the US and Canada (and possibly others).

Book Description
The Dead Eyes Killer lurks in the backyard of the famed FBI Profiling Unit. His brutal murders confound the local task force, despite the gifted profiling skills of Special Agent Karen Vail. But along with Vail's insight and expertise comes considerable personal and professional baggage. On leave pending a review of her assault on her abusive ex-husband, Vail must battle forces determined to bring her down, as she fights to find Dead Eyes before he murders more young women. But the seventh victim is the key to all that stirs this killer...the key that will unlock secrets perhaps too painful for Vail to bear. These are secrets that threaten to destroy her, secrets that will bring down her storied career. For Karen Vail, the truth rests at the heart of a lie. And uncovering it could get her killed... With material meticulously researched during seven years of study with the Bureau's vaunted profiling unit, Alan Jacobson brings refreshing realism and unprecedented accuracy to his pages. The 7th Victim is a page-turner as only Alan Jacobson can write, with a stunning twist of an ending that will satisfy even the most discerning thriller reader.

Click HERE for the free book. As always with Kobo, be sure to sign in and click on Add to Library is you want access to it later on, after the price goes back up.
Closed Thread