Notices

Old 02-22-2010, 09:29 PM   #61
lkmg
lkmg began at the beginning.

Device: none
Covers/Cases for nook

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Those are silicon covers that do not protect the screen at all. Stay away. get a proper cover that closes to protect the screen.
just curious, why stay away from those silicon covers? they are to protect the
edges and front side of the buttons when using the eReader.
lkmg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 09:32 PM   #62
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkmg View Post
just curious, why stay away from those silicon covers? they are to protect the
edges and front side of the buttons when using the eReader.
Because you leave the screen exposed. There is nothing to protect the screen. Most of the time when I carry my 505, I have the cover closed. So if I was to drop it and it landed screen side down, the cover would be there to offer some protection for the screen. The skin offers no protection for the screen at any time. A cover offers protection some of the time. I'd rather the cover to protect the screen then the skin to never protect the screen. And I have seen my wife drop her reader once and it was in the cover and the cover was closed and it came away fine. Had it not had a cover, I cannot say if it would have survived.

The edges and the sides need less protection then the screen. With eink, it's all about the screen. Well, mostly.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-22-2010, 09:56 PM   #63
spec
Zealot
spec has a spectacular aura aboutspec has a spectacular aura aboutspec has a spectacular aura aboutspec has a spectacular aura aboutspec has a spectacular aura aboutspec has a spectacular aura aboutspec has a spectacular aura aboutspec has a spectacular aura aboutspec has a spectacular aura aboutspec has a spectacular aura aboutspec has a spectacular aura about

Device: nook
Quote:
Originally Posted by beartard View Post
I think everyone's in smartphone-mode with protectors. If you have a piano-black surface that's prone to fingerprints, smudges, and scratches, then that might be an ok investment. An eReader screen, with a slightly matte finish anyway, plus the slight recess...I really can't justify the uglification factor that the extra layer of film would provide.
I tend to leave a lot of fingerprints on the touchscreen part of nook, which is why i consider the protector. the top part just gathers some dust (still waiting for a cover). maybe i should just get a piece of cloth, carry it in a pocket of the cover and just wipe the screen every once in a while, but if the protector would fit perfectly so that it wouldn't even be noticeable then that would be great.

WT Sharpe, thanks for pointing out Gelaskin - they look really cool, on top of the fact that you can upload own image. The problem is the image would now have to match roof of heavens oberon cover somehow. maybe I'll just wait for the cover and see what else do i really need.
spec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 11:46 PM   #64
lkmg

i am thinking of getting the Nook with Industriell cover and a screen protector. however, i want to protect the edge and front (buttons, etc) of the Nook too. anyone any idea whether a silicon case can be used together with the Industriell cover? with these, the Nook will be protected everywhere. thanks.
Old 02-23-2010, 03:48 AM   #65
lionel47
Addict
lionel47 doesn't litterlionel47 doesn't litter

Device: B&N Nook, Nook Color
Quote:
i am thinking of getting the Nook with Industriell cover and a screen protector. however, i want to protect the edge and front (buttons, etc) of the Nook too. anyone any idea whether a silicon case can be used together with the Industriell cover? with these, the Nook will be protected everywhere. thanks.
I have the Industriell cover and I love it. I was considering getting a silicon skin but I am pausing. I hear a lot of negatives about it gathering dust and hair.

However, I am also considering going the skin route like these. Nothing fancy for me; just a matte black so my device is good in a business setting and won't be mistaken for a Kindle.
lionel47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-23-2010, 03:58 AM   #66
lkmg

Quote:
Originally Posted by lionel47 View Post
I have the Industriell cover and I love it. I was considering getting a silicon skin but I am pausing. I hear a lot of negatives about it gathering dust and hair.

However, I am also considering going the skin route like these. Nothing fancy for me; just a matte black so my device is good in a business setting and won't be mistaken for a Kindle.
but with the skin route, would the nook be able to clip onto the Industriell cover? need to cut some openings onto the skin route?
Old 02-23-2010, 05:32 AM   #67
lionel47
Addict
lionel47 doesn't litterlionel47 doesn't litter

Device: B&N Nook, Nook Color
Quote:
but with the skin route, would the nook be able to clip onto the Industriell cover? need to cut some openings onto the skin route?
I am assuming that since they are specially made for the Nook, they know where the holes are located. But good question.
lionel47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2010, 07:06 AM   #68
lkmg

Quote:
Originally Posted by lionel47 View Post
I am assuming that since they are specially made for the Nook, they know where the holes are located. But good question.
thanks a lot. have not gotten my nook yet, so trying to visualize the whole setup.
Old 02-23-2010, 09:24 AM   #69
cubeball
cubeball began at the beginning.

Device: Nook
hm .... B&N still low in stock on their book covers. Am waiting to get my hands on the industriell cover n Tupper Quote Cover in leaf, got to wait till April 10 n i'm not sure whether it'll be in stock by then. So sad
cubeball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2010, 10:32 AM   #70
kilmar
Connoisseur
kilmar will become famous soon enoughkilmar will become famous soon enoughkilmar will become famous soon enoughkilmar will become famous soon enoughkilmar will become famous soon enoughkilmar will become famous soon enough

Device: nook color, nook, Sony PRS-700
I am neither a fan of the silicone skin due to my own aesthetics and the fact it does not prevent the screen from collecting dust. Nor do I use screen protectors because they have yet to make one that's 100% transparent. The screen protectors either cause glare or the matte ones lower the contrast.

I love my Industriell cover, with the small exception of the thickness and weight. Of course, that also implies more protection.
kilmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 03:44 AM   #71
jen6060
Connoisseur
jen6060 began at the beginning.

Device: sony prs505 (given away); Sony prs300; Nook
hi lilly,
i just needed to chime in to say your covers are gorgeous esp the Sun cover in red. i just got my River garden cover for my Nook. Love it. I debated for such a long time between Roof of Heaven and River garden. But i wanted one in red!...
But much as I'm tempted i can't justify getting another! Now in fact, I'm thinking if for some reason I give up my Nook, my next reader must fit the cover. Now i wish Oberon would make-to-order. Their designs are so much nicer than the "designer'' covers that b&n have on their website, which cost about US$85 or something.
jen6060 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2010, 07:55 PM   #72
Big Shirley
Enthusiast
Big Shirley began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2, Galaxy S, Nook Color, Sony PRS-950
Thanks for the info

My Mom got a Nook for her birthday and I got her the M-Edge Platform Jacket in red and the Booklight. I hope she likes it.
Big Shirley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2010, 10:10 PM   #73
boswd
Banned
boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: The Nook, Nook color and Droid X
I think she'll love it
boswd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 10:03 PM   #74
sashusmom
Enthusiast
sashusmom once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.sashusmom once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.sashusmom once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.sashusmom once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.sashusmom once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.sashusmom once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.sashusmom once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.sashusmom once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.sashusmom once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.sashusmom once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.sashusmom once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: iphone 3gs-(JB), asus 1000h, e-ink nook, libre pro, Wht PDN, Huawei s7
Wink very nice cheap cover

I bought a padfolio from office depot- $12.99- removed the pad and used velcro.
It looks great- artificial red alligator with a magnetic snap closure. Perfect fit and great book feel with a good edge for any type of booklight. You can put the light on either side.

I also put white paper tape(medical tape) on the upper half of the shiny bezel so the reflection from the light was not annoying. Now the tape prevents the reflection of the light from shining in my eyes. And if you cut the edges of the tape with scissors it looks neat, not messy and out of place. I think they should have made the whole bezel a matte finish, not just the center with the arrows.
sashusmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 10:12 AM   #75
grimborg
Enthusiast
grimborg shares his or her toysgrimborg shares his or her toysgrimborg shares his or her toysgrimborg shares his or her toysgrimborg shares his or her toysgrimborg shares his or her toysgrimborg shares his or her toysgrimborg shares his or her toysgrimborg shares his or her toysgrimborg shares his or her toysgrimborg shares his or her toys

Device: PRS-T1
How about the BookArmor? It's not exactly a piece of beauty, but it's super sturdy (I used to have one for my PRS-505)
http://www.extremeinkjet.com/BookArm...karmornook.htm
grimborg is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bag, case, cover, nook