Old 10-20-2009, 10:55 AM   #61
nelsonescorcio
Zealot
nelsonescorcio doesn't litternelsonescorcio doesn't litter

Device: Cybook Gen 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyc View Post
Someone said 4 pm Eastern time
That's NY time, in "american language" - I believe.
nelsonescorcio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2009, 11:02 AM   #62
kindlekitten
Professional Adventuress
kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Olympic Peninsula on the OTHER Washington! (the big green clean one on the west coast!)
Device: Kindle, the original! Times Two! and gifting an International Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by nelsonescorcio View Post
uh, no we call it eastern. believe it or not, NY is not the be all end all for *most* Americans
kindlekitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-20-2009, 11:06 AM   #63
Ea
Wizard
Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3|iPad air|iPhone 4S
Quote:
Someone said 4 pm Eastern time
Same as GMT -4
Ea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2009, 11:07 AM   #64
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by nelsonescorcio View Post

Nope. We have Eastern, Central, Mountain, and Pacific.

New York, despite some people's belief, is NOT the center of the Universe.
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2009, 11:09 AM   #65
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
i think nelson meant that "eastern time" is american language. it doesn't mean much to us over here (nor does "central, mountain and pacific". especially mountain !), whereas "new york time" is easy to understand and a fairly common reference here.
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-20-2009, 11:23 AM   #66
jswinden
Nameless Being

Another worthless design. What's with adding a small color LCD just to call it a color reader. It is NOT a color reader! Besides, just like all the other proprietary readers it will have too many book limitations for the average user who cannot even pronounce calibre, much less figure out how to use it.
Old 10-20-2009, 11:27 AM   #67
LDBoblo
Wizard
LDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcover

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi, Sony PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by jswinden View Post
Another worthless design. What's with adding a small color LCD just to call it a color reader. It is NOT a color reader! Besides, just like all the other proprietary readers it will have too many book limitations for the average user who cannot even pronounce calibre, much less figure out how to use it.
What it COULD bring to the table is speed for some things like queries, browsing collections, etc. E-ink is simply rubbish for anything that involves moving somewhat faster than a glacier. It's a "tweener" solution I think, before we get good reflective displays that refresh faster than grass grows.

If they minimize the footprint of the color screen and give it the necessary functionality, I think this has promise, and seems better designed than the Alex thing.

Also, hopefully the average user won't have to resort to using a program like Calibre. It's a reflection of the sad state of the current ebook world.

Last edited by LDBoblo; 10-20-2009 at 11:29 AM.
LDBoblo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2009, 11:30 AM   #68
kennyc
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zelda_pinwheel View Post
i think nelson meant that "eastern time" is american language. it doesn't mean much to us over here (nor does "central, mountain and pacific". especially mountain !), whereas "new york time" is easy to understand and a fairly common reference here.

just ignorant ferriners I guess...
Old 10-20-2009, 11:36 AM   #69
kennyc

Quote:
Originally Posted by LDBoblo View Post
What it COULD bring to the table is speed for some things like queries, browsing collections, etc. E-ink is simply rubbish for anything that involves moving somewhat faster than a glacier. It's a "tweener" solution I think, before we get good reflective displays that refresh faster than grass grows.

If they minimize the footprint of the color screen and give it the necessary functionality, I think this has promise, and seems better designed than the Alex thing.

Also, hopefully the average user won't have to resort to using a program like Calibre. It's a reflection of the sad state of the current ebook world.
true about the display speed, but I personally don't want to use my reader to do that anyway. I use my computer to do that and use my reader for reading.

Also the lcd display is going to have the same issues of usability in bright light, readability, etc. as the current portable lcd displays have.
Old 10-20-2009, 11:44 AM   #70
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
Quote:
just ignorant ferriners I guess...
aw, i wouldn't call y'all ignorant. you just need to travel more.
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2009, 11:44 AM   #71
Daithi
Publishers are evil!
Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various Kindles
Quote:
true about the display speed, but I personally don't want to use my reader to do that anyway. I use my computer to do that and use my reader for reading.

Also the lcd display is going to have the same issues of usability in bright light, readability, etc. as the current portable lcd displays have.
Take a look at Qualcomm's Mirisol technology. It's reflective color that looks as vibrant as LCDs and supports video speed refresh rates. All I've seen so far are little tiny screens, but give me a 11" screen that uses this technology and I ditch both my ereader and my laptop.
Daithi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2009, 11:46 AM   #72
dmikov
Addict
dmikov has learned how to read e-booksdmikov has learned how to read e-booksdmikov has learned how to read e-booksdmikov has learned how to read e-booksdmikov has learned how to read e-booksdmikov has learned how to read e-booksdmikov has learned how to read e-booksdmikov has learned how to read e-books

Device: REB1200; REB2150; Sony 500/350; EZReader; IREX DR800SG; Nook/Color
Quote:

I think the idea is not to use it as a screen, but as an input device + maybe screen. What it does is get rid of horrible buttons (kindle) providing you with ability to enter data there and maybe have some additional info about book or library to be displayed there. Unlike Alex, which horribly propose to use either display as primary and treating the 'other' as space waster and overbalancing weight for your device.

If I don't buy this cutie, it will only be because of B&N dragging it's feet on epub conversion of their store. Otherwise it looks very cool.
dmikov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2009, 11:50 AM   #73
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
I just call it Tampa time...

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2009, 11:50 AM   #74
kennyc

Quote:
aw, i wouldn't call y'all ignorant. you just need to travel more.
And clearly confused too.

Old 10-20-2009, 11:50 AM   #75
LDBoblo
Wizard
LDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcover

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi, Sony PRS-505
Quote:

That's why there's the big e-ink display above it...so you can read without the LCD.

Many people waste a lot of time waiting for slow menus and functions that can potentially be sped up significantly with this kind of solution. It is clearly not for people who are satisfied with the usability of their current devices to "just read". There are many, many people who are not satisfied with the usability of other readers and speed is one of the major issues shared by many many people. If you're not one, then devices that are intended to bridge some of the speed/UI responsiveness issues are not really for you, and you'd be finely served by currently available technology at a lower cost.

I'm personally not satisfied with e-ink readers. I don't like e-ink's display quality or speed, and I would prefer a wholly superior solution to this. However, I'm giving it the benefit of the doubt because it might address one of the biggest beefs I have with currently-available ebook readers.
LDBoblo is offline   Reply With Quote