Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

Old 10-19-2009, 07:18 PM   #1
sforce
Connoisseur
sforce doesn't littersforce doesn't litter

Device: Plastic Logic (?)
New B&N eReader $259 & will allow sharing

"A new electronic book reader is expected Tuesday from book seller Barnes & Noble Inc. that will challenge readers from Amazon.com Inc. and Sony Corp. with a color touch-screen and $259 price, according to a planned ad for the device.

Details of the reader appear in a full-page advertisement viewed by The Wall Street Journal in the New York Times Book Review section dated Sunday, Oct. 25. The advertisement says the Nook will enable its owners to "Lend eBooks to friends.""

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000...googlenews_wsj
sforce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 07:28 PM   #2
paul1403
Exertion Avoider
paul1403 can extract oil from cheesepaul1403 can extract oil from cheesepaul1403 can extract oil from cheesepaul1403 can extract oil from cheesepaul1403 can extract oil from cheesepaul1403 can extract oil from cheesepaul1403 can extract oil from cheesepaul1403 can extract oil from cheese

Device: Eco-Reader, Motorola Xoom, Samsung Galaxy S2
Will it be available internationally? Will it be supported internationally?

Stay tuned...

Paul
Canberra, Australia
paul1403 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-19-2009, 07:40 PM   #3
JoeD
Guru
JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: na
Book lending sounds like a great feature, hopefully the reader makes it way to places other than the US though

I thought the announcement of colour support was retracted by B&N?
JoeD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 07:43 PM   #4
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Nice. When will they let their employees in on the news?
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 07:44 PM   #5
fuzzy_dunlop
Enthusiast
fuzzy_dunlop began at the beginning.

Device: none
Looks like it will be called 'Nook,' wow Athena never sounded so good. I now understand the 'freaking terrible' name comment made by Gizmodo. Still no word on what formats it will support and many other details.

Color refers to the LCD screen below the e-Ink screen. Fingers crossed on international support.
fuzzy_dunlop is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-19-2009, 07:45 PM   #6
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeD View Post
I thought the announcement of colour support was retracted by B&N?
This is a small color touch screen for covers and control, the main screen is still grayscale EInk. See Barnes and Noble's reader: first pics, which seems to be plausible.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 07:49 PM   #7
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Quote:
Originally Posted by fuzzy_dunlop View Post
Looks like it will be called 'Nook,' wow Athena never sounded so good. I now understand the 'freaking terrible' name comment made by Gizmodo. Still no word on what formats it will support and many other details.

Color refers to the LCD screen below the e-Ink screen. Fingers crossed on international support.
Oh, thank you for that belly laugh. I can hear it now.
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 07:51 PM   #8
sforce
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuzzy_dunlop View Post
Looks like it will be called 'Nook,' wow Athena never sounded so good. I now understand the 'freaking terrible' name comment made by Gizmodo...
Yeah, I rather liked "Athena." I suppose we will have to see how they market the term, "Nook." So, let me be first with a bad pun, "eNookie?"
Old 10-19-2009, 08:19 PM   #9
The Hooded Claw
Connoisseur
The Hooded Claw got an A in P-Chem.The Hooded Claw got an A in P-Chem.The Hooded Claw got an A in P-Chem.The Hooded Claw got an A in P-Chem.The Hooded Claw got an A in P-Chem.The Hooded Claw got an A in P-Chem.The Hooded Claw got an A in P-Chem.The Hooded Claw got an A in P-Chem.The Hooded Claw got an A in P-Chem.The Hooded Claw got an A in P-Chem.The Hooded Claw got an A in P-Chem.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Android phone with Kindle app, Kindle 4 in reserve
I'm unenthused by the LCD....To me, any space on the front of an ebook reader that's not devoted to eInk paper is not only wasted, but worse than wasted....Increases the cost, size (size is very important for a device you carry around with you!), and in this case power consumption, without contributing anything. Being able to see a postage stamp image of the color can be done by getting on a desktop and going to the Amazon or B&N website. I hope they have some better use for the LCD than showing the cover!

Having said that, I hope their Nook or Athena or whatever it is, is a success. I love my Kindle, but I also like having other options, and even more important, I want Amazon to feel pressure to offer us better stuff at lower prices, not just be able to sit there fat and happy and unchallenged!

I actually think the name Athena is fine. Not so wild about "Nook". On the other hand, I've always thought Kindle was a stupid name, yet I own one and love it!
The Hooded Claw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 08:22 PM   #10
benham
Guru
benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm TX, PRS-505 (BLUE)
All I want for Christmas is a little Niikie?

Will this be safe to buy right off the bat? Not like every version of Microsoft Windows which remain under development until the next version comes out.
benham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 08:31 PM   #11
Matches Malone
Connoisseur
Matches Malone can eat soup with a fork.Matches Malone can eat soup with a fork.Matches Malone can eat soup with a fork.Matches Malone can eat soup with a fork.Matches Malone can eat soup with a fork.Matches Malone can eat soup with a fork.Matches Malone can eat soup with a fork.Matches Malone can eat soup with a fork.Matches Malone can eat soup with a fork.Matches Malone can eat soup with a fork.Matches Malone can eat soup with a fork.

Device: PW2, Ipad
$234 after bing cashback and maybe other coupons could bring it down lower. Looking forward to the announcement tomorrow. Hope its available immediately or at the end of the month.
Matches Malone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 10:22 PM   #12
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
"Nook" is an interesting name. The Book Nook. It's a natural.

This looks interesting. I'll have to check it out. Wonder what the battery life will be? And what about screen glare? E-Ink is so easy on the eyes. Don't see how an LCD could compare for sharpness and ease of reading.
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 10:22 PM   #13
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
Quote:
Originally Posted by wallcraft View Post
This is a small color touch screen for covers and control, the main screen is still grayscale EInk. See Barnes and Noble's reader: first pics, which seems to be plausible.
Ah, yes. How did I miss that? But who need color navigation?

Last edited by WT Sharpe; 10-19-2009 at 10:25 PM.
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 11:00 PM   #14
sforce
Connoisseur

From the NYT:

"The advertisement for the Nook says that consumers will be able to “access over one million e-books, newspapers and magazines.” About 500,000 of the books available at BN.com can be downloaded free, through an agreement with Google to provide electronic versions of public domain books that Google has scanned from university libraries. These editions are currently not available on the Kindle."

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/10/20/te...ader.html?_r=1
Old 10-19-2009, 11:19 PM   #15
ardeegee
Maratus speciosus butt
ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-350
I await someone coming up with an accessory (or maybe a rival product) called the "Cranny."
ardeegee is offline   Reply With Quote