Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Onyx Boox

Notices

Old 06-02-2023, 04:17 PM   #1
tatteredscroll
Enthusiast
tatteredscroll will become famous soon enoughtatteredscroll will become famous soon enoughtatteredscroll will become famous soon enoughtatteredscroll will become famous soon enoughtatteredscroll will become famous soon enoughtatteredscroll will become famous soon enough

Device: Kindle
Unhappy restore rooted Note 2 after wipe?

I bought a used un-rooted Note2 that I rooted while it was on 3.3.1 with the help of Renate and others on this forum.

I installed apps and set it up the way I wanted and eventually updated to 3.3.2. Because it was used, the battery was very poor, so I ordered a new battery. Battery life it great now, but I've decided to sell it. To prep it for sale, I tried the built-in Android/Onyx Factory Data reset, but it never fully wiped the device. It just resets a few settings, but all my stuff is still on there. I then tried combinations of buttons while powered on and off (power and back) but it never presented a menu or gave an indication it was in recovery. So I decided to do the following:

adb devices
adb reboot bootloader
fastboot devices
adb fastboot -w

The last command, fastboot wipe of data/cache, threw the following error:

Erasing 'userdata' OKAY [ 1.991s]
mke2fs 1.46.5 (30-Dec-2021)
/tmp/TemporaryFile-Tts9hX: Unimplemented ext2 library function while setting up superblock
/usr/lib/android-sdk/platform-tools/mke2fs failed with status 1
fastboot: error: Cannot generate image for userdata

Now on boot it appears to be bootlooping. I see the Onyx splash for a few seconds, then blank, then Onyx, blank, over and over. I am able to hold power button to turn it off, but any attempt to turn it on or get to a built-in recovery menu fails.

tatteredscroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2023, 08:37 PM   #2
Renate
Wizard
Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook NST, Glow2, 3, 4, '21, Kobo Aura2, Poke3, Poke5
Mmm, I'm forgetting all this stuff.
userdata is ext4, which still uses mke2fs.

Have you tried pressing power five times while it is booting.
People say that gets you to recovery.
Renate is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-05-2023, 09:54 AM   #3
tatteredscroll
Enthusiast
tatteredscroll will become famous soon enoughtatteredscroll will become famous soon enoughtatteredscroll will become famous soon enoughtatteredscroll will become famous soon enoughtatteredscroll will become famous soon enoughtatteredscroll will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renate View Post
Mmm, I'm forgetting all this stuff.
userdata is ext4, which still uses mke2fs.

Have you tried pressing power five times while it is booting.
People say that gets you to recovery.
I tried that prior to going the adb route to fastboot it, I could never get it to do anything. I've also run adb devices during its bootloop and I never see anything show up. I reckon it's a paperweight now Not a huge loss, but disappointed in myself.

I thought there was a discussion on the Leaf 2 with a way to short a couple of terminals inside the unit to get it to recovery...but if the recovery partition is toast, probably won't matter.
Old 06-05-2023, 10:47 AM   #4
Renate
Wizard
Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

The problem is, we don't have a Firehose loader for the Leaf2 (or the Poke5).
There's a whole thread where I was trying to help denisuu with his Leaf2.
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=350352

It may be that your timing with the 5x power is wrong.
(I can never get the hang of silly things that require coordination.)
If you are looking at the (internal) UART you can see more easily what's going on.
Also, I have a utility for the UART to get you to recovery or EDL.
But you need to open it up and you need a 1.8V USB UART adapter.
Old 06-05-2023, 11:02 AM   #5
tatteredscroll
Enthusiast

Quote:

If you are looking at the (internal) UART you can see more easily what's going on.
I'll keep trying the 5x power trick. I see online that it's definitely is a thing, but yeah, timing.

I'm able to power it off if unplugged, so it doesn't just loop forever, so it is responding to power press just fine.
Advert
Old 06-05-2023, 11:28 AM   #6
Renate
Wizard

So it never does any connect "bong"? No USB ever?
Old 06-05-2023, 11:30 AM   #7
tatteredscroll
Enthusiast

Quote:

Is this the adapter I would need?
https://www.amazon.com/Converter-Ada.../dp/B08TX3KTP1
Old 06-05-2023, 11:36 AM   #8
tatteredscroll
Enthusiast

Quote:
So it never does any connect "bong"? No USB ever?
Correct. I've tried a windows and linux machine. I never hear or see anything that indicates it's getting that far in the process.

I run adb devices repeatedly and not seeing anything show up.

Starting at powered off, no light on power button and the Onyx splash on the screen
- press power, the light on top (blue when unplugged, purple when plugged in) is solid blue (or purple) for 20 seconds. Then it blinks off/on, there is a 3 second wait before the screen refreshes the Onyx logo, and the process starts over.

Last edited by tatteredscroll; 06-05-2023 at 11:49 AM.
Old 06-05-2023, 12:02 PM   #9
tatteredscroll
Enthusiast

Also trying button combinations from post #1 in this thread
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=299096
Old 06-05-2023, 12:33 PM   #10
Renate
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by tatteredscroll View Post
Huh. I hadn't known about that one, but it looks good too.
Important things:
  • Genuine FTDI chip (usually FTDI FT232RL)
  • Adjustable voltage level 1.8V, 3.3V (required) 2.5V, 5V (optional)
There is also this, but I wouldn't pay an extra $2 for 2.5V.
https://www.amazon.com/DSD-TECH-SH-U...dp/B07WX2DSVB/
OTOH, your preference for switch vs. jumper may decide.
Old 06-05-2023, 01:02 PM   #11
tatteredscroll
Enthusiast

Quote:
Huh. I hadn't known about that one, but it looks good too.
Important things:
  • Genuine FTDI chip (usually FTDI FT232RL)
  • Adjustable voltage level 1.8V, 3.3V (required) 2.5V, 5V (optional)
There is also this, but I wouldn't pay an extra $2 for 2.5V.
https://www.amazon.com/DSD-TECH-SH-U...dp/B07WX2DSVB/
OTOH, your preference for switch vs. jumper may decide.
I wonder though...if I don't hear or see any indication that USB is doing anything, will this device and serial console/software help? *Should* I see the device start-up in my terminal connected through the device and provide a sort of debug session/terminal to watch it boot? What do I connect to once I have it opened up?

Last edited by tatteredscroll; 06-05-2023 at 01:11 PM.
Old 06-05-2023, 01:47 PM   #12
Renate
Wizard

Look at that thread, I forgot where the connections are. (I don't own one.)
Don't ever connect "Vcc" or "5V" or "Power" on your adapter to anything.
Old 06-05-2023, 01:53 PM   #13
tatteredscroll
Enthusiast

Quote:
Look at that thread, I forgot where the connections are. (I don't own one.)
Don't ever connect "Vcc" or "5V" or "Power" on your adapter to anything.
Ok, I see where denisuu posted some pics of the 0.0, 1.8, 0.0, and 1.8v points on the Leaf2.
Old 06-08-2023, 11:30 AM   #14
tatteredscroll
Enthusiast

Attaching photo...thoughts on the arrow pointing to possible UART serial connection?

https://i.imgur.com/bDMA4dM.jpg

Last edited by tatteredscroll; 06-08-2023 at 11:33 AM.
Old 06-08-2023, 12:45 PM   #15
Renate
Wizard

Did you get your USB UART already?
You have some little pin cables?
If you have some male ends you can stick them in the holes and apply a bit of side pressure (like taping down the wires a bit) to make contact.
The square hole is probably ground, but check first.
If you have a voltmeter measure each pin vs the sheet metal shields.
Two pins will probably show ~0V and one will show 1.8V.
That's probably device TX, it will connect to RX on the USB UART.
Connect ground to the square hole (as long as it didn't measure 1.8V).
Reboot and see if you see data (using Putty or a terminal program) at 115200,8,n,1
On the left side of the board, the similar 2 pin layout is probably for EDL test jumper.

Tags
boot, loader, recovery, root, rooted