Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Onyx Boox

Notices

Old 03-29-2023, 10:55 AM   #1
tatteredscroll
Enthusiast
tatteredscroll will become famous soon enoughtatteredscroll will become famous soon enoughtatteredscroll will become famous soon enoughtatteredscroll will become famous soon enoughtatteredscroll will become famous soon enoughtatteredscroll will become famous soon enough

Device: Kindle
Boox Note 3 root available on 3.3 firmware?

I was reading this thread
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=344115

And wondered if the method used in this video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QtpC9RYK0mw

would work for a Note 3 running 3.3? What about a Note 5? Same process?

I had a Note Air 2 and didn't like the design, so I returned it, but looking to get a 3 or 5 and root to install AFwall+, uninstall some of the built-in apps, etc.
tatteredscroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2023, 11:59 AM   #2
Renate
Wizard
Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook NST, Glow2, 3, 4, '21, Kobo Aura2, Poke3, Poke5
If you're using Magisk, it's basically always the same.
  1. Get a copy of the boot image from somewhere
  2. Modify it with the Magisk app
  3. Flash it to the boot partition
#1 You can do with EDL or dd if you're rooted
#3 You can do with EDL, fastboot or dd if you're rooted.
Renate is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-29-2023, 01:30 PM   #3
tatteredscroll
Enthusiast
tatteredscroll will become famous soon enoughtatteredscroll will become famous soon enoughtatteredscroll will become famous soon enoughtatteredscroll will become famous soon enoughtatteredscroll will become famous soon enoughtatteredscroll will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renate View Post
Thank you I may be back here with more questions in the near future
Old 03-29-2023, 05:03 PM   #4
tatteredscroll
Enthusiast

Quote:
@Renate
Looking at some of the instructions for rooting Boox devices, I don't see support for Note5 and I don't see support with DeBooxUpx on GitHub, only Note3. Does that mean I'll have to wait for Note5 support in DeBooxUpx or would a "like" device work here (thinking the NA2) ?
Old 03-29-2023, 05:58 PM   #5
Renate
Wizard
Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Code:
C:\>adb pull /system/priv-app/OnyxOtaService/OnyxOtaService.apk
Post it and I'll tell you the strings.

Reminder to self:
Code:
binres resources.arsc|grep " string/settings | string/upgrade | string/local "

Last edited by Renate; 03-29-2023 at 06:34 PM.
Advert
Old 03-29-2023, 07:17 PM   #6
winstonma
Zealot
winstonma format shifts faster than booting Windowswinstonma format shifts faster than booting Windowswinstonma format shifts faster than booting Windowswinstonma format shifts faster than booting Windowswinstonma format shifts faster than booting Windowswinstonma format shifts faster than booting Windowswinstonma format shifts faster than booting Windowswinstonma format shifts faster than booting Windowswinstonma format shifts faster than booting Windowswinstonma format shifts faster than booting Windowswinstonma format shifts faster than booting Windows

Device: Onyx Boox Nova
Quote:
Code:
C:\>adb pull /system/priv-app/OnyxOtaService/OnyxOtaService.apk
Post it and I'll tell you the strings.

Reminder to self:
Code:
binres resources.arsc|grep " string/settings | string/upgrade | string/local "
Does decryptBooxUpdateUpx have the strings you need?
winstonma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2023, 07:55 PM   #7
Renate
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by winstonma View Post
Does decryptBooxUpdateUpx have the strings you need?
No.
Old 03-29-2023, 11:28 PM   #8
tatteredscroll
Enthusiast

Quote:
No.
Change of plans, I'm going to press pause on the Note 5 and have a practice run on an older Note 2 I picked up. If I get the steps down on rooting and like the form factor well enough, I'll upgrade. Although the Note 2 may do just what I want it to do, who knows?
Old 03-30-2023, 06:30 AM   #9
Renate
Wizard

Well, as a public service you should pull that file.
Somebody else might be waiting to decode a Note5 update.

Tags
note 3, root, root android