Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Onyx Boox

Notices

Old 12-02-2022, 01:12 PM   #31
denisuu
Zealot
denisuu has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Onyx Leaf 2 (White)
Porting TWRP seems a lot more difficult than I expected. I don't quite understand the part where you need to copy the values from the stock recovery.fstab to the twrp.fstab file.

It would be nice to be able to make a nandroid backup. I'm probably going to get it replaced while it's still in warranty. When I receive the new one I would just have to: enable ADB > reboot fastboot > boot custom recovery > restore backup.

It's always nice to have a backup to restore incase the new updates break stuff.
denisuu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2022, 01:37 PM   #32
Renate
Wizard
Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook NST, Glow2, 3, 4, '21, Kobo Aura2, Poke3, Poke5
Quote:
Originally Posted by denisuu View Post
Porting TWRP seems a lot more difficult than I expected.
I never build when I can modify existing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by denisuu View Post
It's always nice to have a backup to restore in case the new updates break stuff.
But isn't that the point of updates? To offer you features that you don't want or need and make something that you rely on not work anymore.

I just updated my Poke3 to 3.3.1
The update and the mods were painless. I now use a mod system that uses no absolute addresses.
Renate is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-02-2022, 04:49 PM   #33
mergen3107
Wizard
mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Scribe
I got edl backups for every partition except /data, because it is too heavy. And yes, this saved me a few times after the updates
mergen3107 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2022, 09:40 AM   #34
popej
Connoisseur
popej has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.popej has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.popej has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.popej has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: onyx boox leaf 2 black
I have firmware 2022-11-24_09-32_3.3.1 in Leaf 2. I'm trying to debloat, but it doesn't seems to be possible without loosing functionality. There is no problem with removing apps, but if I remove launcher com.onyx, then apps optimization and fast refresh modes don't work anymore. And there is no possibility to configure gestures, keys, languages.

If I leave com.onyx but remove some other parts, like com.onyx.android.ksync, onyx settings tab shows only "loading" message and configuration is gone.

If I remove onyx keyboard com.onyx.kime, then I can't change system language.

These problems appear after I restart device. Any suggestions?

Other question: is there a known procedure to enter recovery or fastboot without adb?

I have tried some known manipulation with buttons but no success. I'm a bit afraid to do changes, that could stop devices from starting and providing adb access.
popej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2022, 01:15 PM   #35
denisuu
Zealot

Even with every com.onyx. package removed, the gestures work for me. A 5 button navigation-bar appeared though, it isn't visible in KoReader so it doesn't really bother me.

You're right about the system language. I didn't notice as I always keep my devices in English even though it isn't my first language. It makes troubleshooting easier.

Swiping up still brings up 'app optimization' and 'refresh modes' but today I also discovered it doesn't work anymore.

Since I rooted the device I have AFwall+ running and blocked almost all traffic. I might enable some of the Onyx apps again and just have them blocked to bring back some functionality.

Using Simple Ink Launcher would hide the Onyx stuff anyway.

As for booting recovery or fastboot, sending the command from a PC works when the device is still booting so I guess it's possible even when it's bootlooping. I never expirienced a bootloop from just disabling the packages for user 0 to be honest.
Advert
Old 12-03-2022, 01:49 PM   #36
mergen3107
Wizard
mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Yes, with everything Onyx disabled, I have no access to app optimization. But this is good for me because that means contrast is to default, so each app can tweaks it individually. Besides, there is Display control thingy in the notification bar (enable it via Edit) so I can tweak contrast and light filter.

I don’t regret even a bit switching these off
Old 12-03-2022, 01:49 PM   #37
mergen3107
Wizard

Also, there is Refresh rate modes in the notifications, so these functions aren’t lost.
Old 12-03-2022, 02:12 PM   #38
popej
Connoisseur
popej has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.popej has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.popej has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.popej has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

You mean standard icon for e-ink center (not sure about English name)? It exist and allows to change settings, but they aren't applied. I think the worst downside of debloating is return to slow refresh.

I'd like to root reader, but not untill I could repair it, if something went wrong. Entering fastboot without working Android is a minimum.
Old 12-03-2022, 02:57 PM   #39
mergen3107
Wizard

No, not the eink center. I have a FW version right before when Eink center was released. Maybe try quckrotate from github, it will population notifications area with my more icons.

For the recovery without boot - I use edl mode. From power off state, I need to hold down the back button, then the LED turns purple, that’s the edl mode. Then I can do whatever woth the partitions, like backup and restore.

Don’t know how things are on Leaf 2 or Nova Air, which have no back button
Old 12-03-2022, 04:16 PM   #40
popej
Connoisseur

This works for my Leaf 2:
- power off device,
- press and hold power button,
- after small LED in button turns on, continue holding for about 7 seconds,
- release button and quickly press it 5 times.

Then Leaf enters recovery and one can reboot to bootloader.
Old 12-03-2022, 05:25 PM   #41
mergen3107
Wizard

Yes, but this is recovery. What if you also want to recover recovery? that’s when edl kicks in
Old 12-03-2022, 06:26 PM   #42
popej
Connoisseur

Any advice how to make edl work on Leaf 2?
Old 12-03-2022, 07:54 PM   #43
mergen3107
Wizard

I don’t remember who and how found out the edl combination in Onyx Nova 1/2/3/Pro, but my best guess is that they took ut the motherboard and started resistance testing pin points during boot
Old 12-03-2022, 10:08 PM   #44
denisuu
Zealot

The thing is, even if the device bootloops there's always a way to restore it. Fastboot or recovery will most likely be accessible, if not there's forcing the device in EDL mode and restoring it from there. If all of those fail there's probably a hardware terminal inside the device or another way to flash the hardware. But those chances are pretty slim you would even need EDL so I don't see much risk in rooting.

When you root the device as described in the steps in the other topic you boot the rooted system image through fastboot first before actually flashing it. If the device doesn't boot you just don't flash it to the device.

Last edited by denisuu; 12-03-2022 at 10:12 PM.
Old 12-03-2022, 11:06 PM   #45
mergen3107
Wizard

Yes, this is all true.

I am more thinking about edge cases when you have multiple system mods and then you apply a benign update - and this get mixed up. Yeah, it is a pretty slim chance, but I think it is still a reasonable option to try to find the edl combination on a working device before you'd actually need it

Tags
adb, debloat, degoogle, privacy, root