Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Devices

Notices

Old 01-12-2022, 03:43 AM   #1
silver-hedgehog
silver-hedgehog began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Forma
Sending to Device - Kobo Forma - root directory

Hi,

Calibre only gives me the option to save to 'main memory' on my Kobo Forma.

This results in the device root directory filling up with Calibre book folders.

Is there any way I can get Calibre to send & sync with a single folder on my device?

Many thanks for any help.
silver-hedgehog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2022, 08:37 AM   #2
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Include a 'literal' path as part of the SEND template

Code:
MyBooks/{Author_sort} -{Title}
MyBooks is the folder you make
slash (/) is how you tell it to put it in a sub-folder

(there is info on the save to template form)
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-12-2022, 03:49 PM   #3
silver-hedgehog

Hi theducks,

This hasn't worked on my device.
After creating the 'MyBooks' folder on the device root I've tried:

MyBooks/{Author_sort} -{Title}
MyBooks/{author_sort}/{title} - {authors}
/MyBooks/{Author_sort} -{Title}
MyBooks/ {Author_sort} -{Title}

Restarting Calibre & the device each time.

Non of them make any difference the books go straight to the root folder.
I've read through the template guide, there are no specific instructions on what I want to do, to send all calibre books to a single folder instead of the root directory.

I've used Calibre for many years with no problem. I've always sent the books to the SD card. However, the Kobo Forma doesn't have an SD card slot.

Is there anywhere else I can get info?
I've googled, youtubed & read through so many forum posts and cant find anything.

Cheers.
Old 01-12-2022, 04:10 PM   #4
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Where did you put that? NOT in Preferences, that is the default for NEW devices.
Connect the device: then right click the device Icon: configure
Old 01-12-2022, 04:56 PM   #5
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
There are a couple of other ways to get to the device driver configuration. If you have the Kobo Utilities plugin installed, you can user Driver => Configure current driver. Alternately, you can open calibre's Preferences, then Plugins. Search for KoboTouch, select it and then click on Customize plugin. If you are using the Kobo Touch Extended driver, the first page is the same and if you use the same template, it makes it easier to switch between the two.

My preferred template is:
Code:
Elibrary/{author_sort:sublist(0,1,&)}/{title} - {authors:sublist(0,1,&)}
Basically, Elibrary / (first entry in the author sort) / title - (first entry in the author list). That trimming helps to keep the total path length under control.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Kobo_driver_configuration.png
Views:	99
Size:	25.9 KB
ID:	191564  
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-12-2022, 07:09 PM   #6
theducks
Well trained by Cats

David
Once a device is connected/used the configuration is saved in the configuration folder.

Preferences version is only used for New(first connected) devices
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ConfDevices.JPG
Views:	85
Size:	39.0 KB
ID:	191566  
Old 01-12-2022, 10:37 PM   #7
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
David
Once a device is connected/used the configuration is saved in the configuration folder.

Preferences version is only used for New(first connected) devices
The configuration file is created when you change the configuration for the driver. Until then, the preferences used will be the driver's defaults and anything from the general preferences. So, changing the save template in the "Send to device" page will change what is used until the driver configuration is opened and saved. But, I agree, it is probably what is happening here.

@silver-hedgehog: It should work, and does work here. As the others have mentioned, you should configure this in the driver configuration. Either of the methods mentioned to get to it will work. Also, there is an option in the drive configuration called "Use sub-folders". If that is not checked, then the directory structure will be ignored.

If after checking the configuration, it is still not working, then I need a debug log to check what is happening. To do this, right-click the preferences button and select the option to restart in debug mode. When calibre restarts, it will display a message about the debug log. Connect the device and send a book to it. Then close calibre and the debug log will be displayed. Post the full contents of the log or upload it and PM me the location. I should be able to see what is wrong from that.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2022, 11:43 AM   #8
silver-hedgehog

Hi all,

Thank you for taking the time to respond and send your suggestions & help.
@theducks you were spot on, I had altered the template for the ‘send to device’ function in preferences.
I changed it back to: {author_sort}/{title} - {authors}
Then I changed the template for the ‘Device’ function by right clicking on the icon and selecting configuration from the drop-down menu and used the template editor to change the file to:
MyBooks/{author_sort}/{title} - {authors}

Restarted Calibre, and woohoo it works treat! No more clogged up root directory on my Kobo Forma!

Cheers

Tags
kobo forma, main memory, root, send to device