Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Sigil

Notices

Old 12-17-2021, 10:18 AM   #31
PapaKilo
Connoisseur
PapaKilo began at the beginning.

Device: Android, kindle
Realized that searches were initiated from saved searches.

Clicking replace button does shift focus back to the main window but does not perform replace.

Subsequent clicks of replace button have no effect.

Anomaly does not appear unless Regex is selected.
PapaKilo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2021, 12:14 PM   #32
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Are you mixing and matching the Find/Replace buttons? Like clicking "Find" from the Saved Search dialog, then closing that dialog and clicking Replace from the regular Find & Replace widget? Because that's the only way I can duplicate what you're experiencing.

If I use the Find and Replace buttons on the Saved Search dialog exclusively, it all works as expected.

If I use all the Find Replace buttons on the Find & Replace widget exclusively, it all works as expected.

If I leave the Saved Searches dialog open, I can even mix and match ("Find" from Saved Searches dialog and "Replace" from the "Find & Replace" widget) and it all works as expected.

The only thing I can find that triggers the behavior you describe is:

1) open Find & Replace widget
2) open Saved Searches dialog
3) select a saved search
4) click "Find" in the Saved Searches dialog (make sure it finds an instance)
5) close the Saved Searches dialog
6) click "Replace" on the Find & Replace Widget
7) nothing happens until clicking "Find (on the F&R widget) again

My advice would be to either 1) don't close the Saved Search dialog before clicking the other Replace button, or 2) Click "Load Search" from the Saved searches dialog; then close the Saved Searches and proceed to use the Find and Replace buttons from the Find & Replace widget.

In short: stick to using only one set of Find & Replace buttons at a time, or leave Saved Searches open.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-17-2021, 01:07 PM   #33
PapaKilo
Connoisseur

Yeah, I get that except it worked in previous versions.

Thanks, for looking.
Old 12-17-2021, 01:29 PM   #34
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

We need you to be a bit more clear.

Are you saying my exact numbered steps in my previous post are what make the problem manifest for you? And if yes, are you saying those exact same steps worked differently in versions before 1.8?

EDIT: Never mind. I can indeed see for myself that with 1.7.0, the exact same steps result in the replace working.

Last edited by DiapDealer; 12-17-2021 at 01:34 PM.
Old 12-17-2021, 09:51 PM   #35
PapaKilo
Connoisseur

My advice would be to either 1) don't close the Saved Search dialog before clicking the other Replace button, or 2) Click "Load Search" from the Saved searches dialog; then close the Saved Searches and proceed to use the Find and Replace buttons from the Find & Replace widget.

In short: stick to using only one set of Find & Replace buttons at a time, or leave Saved Searches open.

================================================== =

Well, that option doesn't work if your search is a "Group" in the saved searches.
Advert
Old 12-18-2021, 05:49 AM   #36
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer

Not sure I follow. Why would using a search group force you to close the Saved Searches dialog after the first Find? It's the closing of the Saved Searches dialog after a Find that results in the focus shift that causes the issue in version 1.8. I get that this didn't happen in earlier versions; I just don't understand why you say using a search group makes my workaround #1 invalid.
Old 12-18-2021, 10:30 AM   #37
PapaKilo
Connoisseur

If I have a Group consisting of several items and do a find in the Saved Searches and the search finds a match.

Clicking on the Replace button in the Saved Searches dialog causes all items in the Group to be replaced not just the one that was found.

That gives me no control over what I may or may not want replaced.
Old 12-18-2021, 10:41 AM   #38
PapaKilo
Connoisseur

Also Focus Shift has nothing to do with it.

If it was just a Focus Shift issue then It would work on the second time I clicked the Replace button because the focus is shifted on the first Replace click and the search is already loaded in the find and replace dialog. But you can click the Replace and/or the Replace/Find buttons forever and it will not work.

Paul
Old 12-18-2021, 10:59 AM   #39
PapaKilo
Connoisseur

Oh, and I never close the Saved Searches window between uses. it always stays open.

I edit stories using Sigil and I use a number of groups of searches to help fix some of the common edits that I find. I use groups that find different classes of things I search for and some of my Groups are 30 or 40 items long.

Using Groups are much more productive than individual searches because I can run through a large number of searches quickly and only stop at the ones I need to. Fix what is needed and run through the Group again until all items have been checked.

For instance I have a group that checks for abbreviations of metrics link mm, cm, etc. which I replace the abbreviation with the full spelling. Like mm to millimeters. But I stop at each instance to see if in fact that's what was meant.

Probably not exactly what Sigil was designed for but it works quite well for it.

I guess I can always go bock to 1.7.

Paul
Old 12-18-2021, 11:01 AM   #40
KevinH
Sigil Developer
KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: many
Sigil 1.8 introduced the concepts of Search Controls in Saved Searches so the user can now determine all of the FindAndReplace settings from within Saved Search for any group.

What Search Controls have you set for search group?

FWIW, Sigil master has completely changed how Saved Searches are being done so you do not need to use Replace based on seeing the code highlighted in CV and can skip to the next location easily and not be forced back to something you decided not to do a replace on.

So you should be able to do what you want completely inside Saved Searches when Sigil 1.9 is eventually released. These changes mean that Find and Replace no longer uses wrap to mean both wrapping in a single file and wrapping across a set of files. It only controls wrapping inside a single file (current file mode). That also means we have added a Restart search button to FindAndReplace so the user decides when and if to loop back through the targeted set of files.

So hopefully, things will be much better once Sigil 1.9 is eventually released.
KevinH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2021, 11:14 AM   #41
PapaKilo
Connoisseur

Oh, and I never close the Saved Searches window between uses. it always stays open.

I edit stories using Sigil and I use a number of groups of searches to help fix some of the common edits that I find. I use groups that find different classes of things I search for and some of my Groups are 30 or 40 items long.

Using Groups are much more productive than individual searches because I can run through a large number of searches quickly and only stop at the ones I need to. Fix what is needed and run through the Group again until all items have been checked.

For instance I have a group that checks for abbreviations of metrics link mm, cm, etc. which I replace the abbreviation with the full spelling. Like mm to millimeters. But I stop at each instance to see if in fact that's what was meant.

Probably not exactly what Sigil was designed for but it works quite well for it.

I guess I can always go bock to 1.7.

Paul
Old 12-18-2021, 11:33 AM   #42
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer

Then I'm afraid I'm still not replicating your particular issue. The only way I can get Replace to fail is to close the Saved Searches dialog after a Find.
Old 12-18-2021, 12:01 PM   #43
PapaKilo
Connoisseur

Okay, I'll try again.

Open Saved Searches.

Click on a Group heading.

Click on Find (on Saved Searches dialog box)

When a match is indicated in main window.

Click on Replace in Find and Replace dialog below main window.

Nothing happens no matter how many times I click Replace (Only if Regex is selected) until I do a Find in Find and Replace dialog
Old 12-18-2021, 12:55 PM   #44
KevinH
Sigil Developer
KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: many
Yourgroup search controls in Saved Searches determines if regex or not. Again what Saved Search Search Controls have you set?
KevinH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2021, 01:03 PM   #45
PapaKilo
Connoisseur

Quote:
Sigil 1.8 introduced the concepts of Search Controls in Saved Searches so the user can now determine all of the FindAndReplace settings from within Saved Search for any group.

What Search Controls have you set for search group?

FWIW, Sigil master has completely changed how Saved Searches are being done so you do not need to use Replace based on seeing the code highlighted in CV and can skip to the next location easily and not be forced back to something you decided not to do a replace on.

So you should be able to do what you want completely inside Saved Searches when Sigil 1.9 is eventually released. These changes mean that Find and Replace no longer uses wrap to mean both wrapping in a single file and wrapping across a set of files. It only controls wrapping inside a single file (current file mode). That also means we have added a Restart search button to FindAndReplace so the user decides when and if to loop back through the targeted set of files.
Okay, would you please elucidate on this please. I cannot find anywhere where anything like this exists in the version of 1.80 that I have installed.

Paul