Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > KOReader

Notices

Old 08-23-2019, 02:47 AM   #16
fbrzvnrnd
Fanatic
fbrzvnrnd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrzvnrnd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrzvnrnd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrzvnrnd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrzvnrnd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrzvnrnd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrzvnrnd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrzvnrnd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrzvnrnd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrzvnrnd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrzvnrnd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ONYX M96
[little update: the randomly appearing bottom menu was not related to Koreader. It is a personal hardware problem (broken "joystick")]
fbrzvnrnd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2019, 04:40 AM   #17
Norbi24
Connoisseur
Norbi24 doesn't litterNorbi24 doesn't litter

Device: Tolino Vision HD4, BOOX Poke2
I installed this nightly on both Tolinos running FW 10.1 (ICS) and FW 12.2 (Kitkat)
http://build.koreader.rocks/download...8b_2019-08-22/
but unfortunately the UI problem as I had it before (extremely slow menus + TOC - around 5 seconds until they appear) seem to occur mostly on ICS but sometimes also on KitKat ... I have a feeling that something happens during the startup and then KOreader is either slow, or running fine ...

1. ICS
After I installed this KOReader, I clicked the button to start it immediately afterwards - and it was running like a charm. Then I rebooted Tolino,
2 times, and always KOReader starts in "slow mode"
2. KitKat
Once I managed to start KOReader in "slow mode", and 2 times in "normal" mode. Here I attempted to collect logcats - do not know if this helps, but they are attached ... once with KoReader behaving slow, and once Ok

Definitely once KOReader started once in "normal mode", the it always runs fine even if I exit it and start again. The behaviour changes after the reboot ...

Edit:
In the "slow" log file I can see a couple of lines like below -
the indicated spent time would correspond to my observation ... could this indicate the problem ?

spent 4858.8ms processing the last input event: MotionEvent(deviceId=2, source=0x00001002, action=2, flags=0x00000000, metaState=0x00000000, buttonState=0x00000000, edgeFlags=0x00000000, xPrecision=1.0, yPrecision=1.0, displayId=0, pointers=[0: (381.6, 168.9)]), policyFlags=0x42000000
Attached Files
File Type: txt 12.2Ok.txt (365.4 KB, 275 views)
File Type: txt 12.2slow.txt (402.6 KB, 115 views)

Last edited by Norbi24; 08-23-2019 at 05:57 AM.
Norbi24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-23-2019, 06:31 AM   #18
pazos
cosiñeiro
pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BQ Cervantes 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Norbi24 View Post
I installed this nightly on both Tolinos running FW 10.1 (ICS) and FW 12.2 (Kitkat)
http://build.koreader.rocks/download...8b_2019-08-22/
but unfortunately the UI problem as I had it before (extremely slow menus + TOC - around 5 seconds until they appear) seem to occur mostly on ICS but sometimes also on KitKat ... I have a feeling that something happens during the startup and then KOreader is either slow, or running fine ...

1. ICS
After I installed this KOReader, I clicked the button to start it immediately afterwards - and it was running like a charm. Then I rebooted Tolino,
2 times, and always KOReader starts in "slow mode"
2. KitKat
Once I managed to start KOReader in "slow mode", and 2 times in "normal" mode. Here I attempted to collect logcats - do not know if this helps, but they are attached ... once with KoReader behaving slow, and once Ok

Definitely once KOReader started once in "normal mode", the it always runs fine even if I exit it and start again. The behaviour changes after the reboot ...
Thanks for your feedback. The behaviour you described is weird. I will build a package of the last master without the NativeSurfaceView implementation and you could test that package:

You'll need to remove your current installed apk first in order to install the new one I'll attach.

I would need the anwser to this questions:

- Does the new build work at all on Kit-kat?. If it works: does it show the "slow mode"?
- Does the new build work on ICS?. It should work.

Last edited by pazos; 08-23-2019 at 06:53 AM.
pazos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2019, 06:51 AM   #19
pazos
cosiñeiro
pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

@Norbi24 Here it is: https://www.dropbox.com/s/zo3lxzhhn9...rbi24.apk?dl=0
Old 08-23-2019, 08:17 AM   #20
Norbi24
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by pazos View Post

I would need the anwser to this questions:

- Does the new build work at all on Kit-kat?. If it works: does it show the "slow mode"?
- Does the new build work on ICS?. It should work.
Hola Pazos,
I did what you asked for and this is the result:
1. On ICS it works perfectly fine, I restarted Tolino 4 times to be pretty sure
but KOReader then always works fine
2. KitKat (:-( doesn't work at all - refresh problem, right ?
(To go to next page, I have to switch to Android Home and then back ... )

Would it be possible to make this behaviour you have just implemented
dependent on the Android version during runtime, like:
If (ICS) Behave like in this patch
else The new functionality (which you switched off now ?)

Gracias, Norbert
Advert
Old 08-23-2019, 09:06 AM   #21
pazos
cosiñeiro

Quote:

Would it be possible to make this behaviour you have just implemented dependent on the Android version during runtime [...]?
Sure, check this build: https://www.dropbox.com/s/y8ngsvfkrx...test2.apk?dl=0

If you go to the hamburguer tab -> help -> report bugs you should see your FW12 device is using "freescale" and the one on FW10 should say "freescale-legacy"

On FW10 we don't have any control of screen refreshes and this isn't going to change until somebody submits a PR that fixes that.

On FW11 we control all eink refreshes and the behaviour should be the same that you find on latest official nightlies (again, if you find some "slow" behaviour that would need a developer with the device to fix it).
Old 08-23-2019, 10:16 AM   #22
Norbi24
Connoisseur

@pazos, great, the last patch works fine on both FW10 and FR12 - I have restarted both around 4 times but never got the "slow" behavior.
I'd say let us forget the "slow" behaviour on Kitkat I have seen only two times en total,
important is that this seems to be a significant improvement for ICS ...

Is is something what you could commit to Master soon ?
I can then again take an "official" nightly and test on both devices
Old 08-23-2019, 11:12 AM   #23
pazos
cosiñeiro

Quote:
@pazos, great, the last patch works fine on both FW10 and FR12 - I have restarted both around 4 times but never got the "slow" behavior.
I'd say let us forget the "slow" behaviour on Kitkat I have seen only two times en total,
important is that this seems to be a significant improvement for ICS ...

Is is something what you could commit to Master soon ?
I can then again take an "official" nightly and test on both devices
Sure, I just submitted the patch: https://github.com/koreader/android-...ncher/pull/172

You don't need to test it. It will behave exactly like the version you just tested.

Just have fun (and thanks for the feedback).
Old 08-24-2019, 09:03 AM   #24
Norbi24
Connoisseur

Hola Pazos,
Pleae allow me the last question concening the differences between Tolino FW10 (ICS) and FW12.2 (KitKat). Both now work perfecly fine, but there is one thing which prevents me from updating all our Tolinos in the family from FW10 to FW12 - namely page refresh is *slightly* slower there, and also the menus. It is now a huge problem, is absolutely acceptable, but if I put both of them side by side and compare, then FW10 shows the next page always at first, followed by FW12 ...

Once you wrote me that on FW12 (Kitkat) you have the page refresh fully under control, and that it should be more speedy, but the opposite is the true.

I of course do not insist on doing anything, only asking, if you perhaps have an idea if I could tweak some parameters like a delay somewhere or so to try to make ti better on Kitkat ? (Meanwhile I am able to compile koreader also )

Thanks, Norbert
Old 08-24-2019, 10:43 AM   #25
pazos
cosiñeiro

Quote:
Hola Pazos,
Pleae allow me the last question concening the differences between Tolino FW10 (ICS) and FW12.2 (KitKat). Both now work perfecly fine, but there is one thing which prevents me from updating all our Tolinos in the family from FW10 to FW12 - namely page refresh is *slightly* slower there, and also the menus. It is now a huge problem, is absolutely acceptable, but if I put both of them side by side and compare, then FW10 shows the next page always at first, followed by FW12 ...

Once you wrote me that on FW12 (Kitkat) you have the page refresh fully under control, and that it should be more speedy, but the opposite is the true.

I of course do not insist on doing anything, only asking, if you perhaps have an idea if I could tweak some parameters like a delay somewhere or so to try to make ti better on Kitkat ? (Meanwhile I am able to compile koreader also )

Thanks, Norbert
Please look at https://github.com/koreader/koreader-base/pull/933 (read the linked comments)

Resumed: no, we are already doing call with 0 delay on Tolinos (Weirdly using postInvalidateDelayed, but anyways).

On nooks we set a 500ms delay (which is perceptible but looks better because we're racing with system and we want to finish later to avoid artifacts)

Not sure about the differences you saw. Could you reproduce them in other software or just in KO? And, inside KO: could you reproduce on the entire Ui? (i.e: the keyboard)

Anyways I never had a Tolino so I'm clueless about how the current implementation performs or possible improvements to be done. This is up to you, Tolino users
Old 08-26-2019, 03:19 AM   #26
Norbi24
Connoisseur

Hi Pazos, Ok, understand, if there are no obvious longer delays in the implementation, let us forget it, but only for complettness, here are my observations of differences between Tolino FW10 (ICS) and FW12 (Kitkat):
(I tested having them side by side on the table and executing the same action and observing the result)

1. Starting KOReader from Smartlauncher opens the file browser
by cca 5 seconds *sooner* in FW12 KitKat
2. Opening the ebook is roughly the same
3. Going to next page, takes perhaps 1 second on FW10, on FW12 a little
longer (50-100 ms more ?) - I definitely always at first see the next page on FW10
and then immediately afterwards on FW12 - but it is minimal
4. The same is with opening menus - FW10 always first followed by FW12
5. I opened the Goto screen, to test keybord - this was difficult to observe,
but think also here I at first see the typed char on FW10, followed by FW12

But anyway, the page refresh is very pleasant also on FW12 and the difference is very small, no ghosting even though that I do not make any fulll refreshes ...

I then compared native Tolino reading apps on FW10 versus FW12 - only next page function:

1. Here often they are exactly the same
2. Sometimes FW12 is slightly better (but rarely also FW10 was better ...)

I have an impression that they maybe use any more optimized refresh mode,
as after a few pages, some ghosting can be seen (more in FW10, but I could observe it also with FW12 ... ) and then they enforce the **annoying** fullscreen refresh even though on both I configured it only after 100th page ...

So for me, the reading experience with KOReader is *much* better that with native Tolino app. Should I have only this on locked Tolino, I would have returned it back as this permanent full refresh would have been a no go for me

Thanks again for excellent work !
Norbert

Last edited by Norbi24; 08-26-2019 at 07:11 AM.
Old 08-26-2019, 04:03 AM   #27
Frenzie
Wizard
Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O
Quote:
1. Starting KOReader from Smartlauncher opens the file browser
by cca 5 seconds *sooner* in FW12 KitKat
You mean after the first start? The first start will always be a lot slower, subsequent starts should take only a few seconds.

Quote:
Thanks again for excellent work !
Indeed, thanks @pazos for implementing E Ink support!
Frenzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2019, 07:17 AM   #28
Norbi24
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frenzie View Post
You mean after the first start? The first start will always be a lot slower, subsequent starts should take only a few seconds.
@Frenzie, I am already aware of the first start up issue like extracting assets
I tested a few times on KOReader start (except fo the first one) and filebrowser shows significantly faster on Kitkat in comparison with ICS, perehaps due to improvements in Kitkat ?
Old 08-26-2019, 08:13 AM   #29
Frenzie
Wizard
Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O
The files present in the home directory would also make a difference, but more than double (?) the loading time is kind of absurd. Maybe it's a different driver for the SD card I/O or something.
Frenzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2019, 01:44 PM   #30
pazos
cosiñeiro

Thanks for the thanks!

I just remembered that we are using Regal eink updates on Tolinos. This might explain the differences a bit. It should be a matter of replacing "partial_regal" for "partial_du" on https://github.com/koreader/koreader...er_android.lua and you will see a faster UI/page turning. But at the expense of image quality, so meh.