Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > KOReader

Notices

Old 06-18-2019, 01:57 AM   #1
fbrzvnrnd
Fanatic
fbrzvnrnd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrzvnrnd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrzvnrnd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrzvnrnd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrzvnrnd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrzvnrnd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrzvnrnd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrzvnrnd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrzvnrnd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrzvnrnd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrzvnrnd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ONYX M96
Problem with KOReader 2019.06 "Sea Buckthorn"

Hi,
I updated the Koreader to last version, 2019.06 "Sea Buckthorn" on my Onyx M96.

After the installing I have a problem: the highlighting of the text is now very slow. I select the first word, move the stylus over the last word I want highlight and - slowly - the selection start. It could take some seconds when before it toke more or less one second.

I try to reinstall a previous version I downladed in April, and with April version the text highlighting is fast as before. So I think the problem must be related to last version.

Anyone has the same problem?

Fabrizio
fbrzvnrnd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2019, 08:28 AM   #2
Frenzie
Wizard
Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O
Would you mind also testing May to make it slightly easier to find a possible culprit?

You could try enabling wakelock, under Settings → Device otoh. Some E Ink Android devices basically go to sleep without that, which might explain what you're seeing.
Frenzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-18-2019, 04:36 PM   #3
fbrzvnrnd
Fanatic
fbrzvnrnd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrzvnrnd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrzvnrnd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrzvnrnd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrzvnrnd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrzvnrnd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrzvnrnd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrzvnrnd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrzvnrnd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrzvnrnd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrzvnrnd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

It seems to be a different problem than I wrote before. I reinstalled the latest version and initially the selection speed was normal. But while reading and underlining, Koreader started to slow down, even in other operations, such as access to menus. I search "enabling wakelock", but I did not found it. In Settings --> Device I only found a option for battery alarm. Thank you for the answer!
Old 06-19-2019, 01:51 AM   #4
Frenzie
Wizard
Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

My bad, it's in settings → screen.
Old 06-19-2019, 02:57 PM   #5
fbrzvnrnd
Fanatic

"Keep Screen On" is active, but I'll keep investigate. Today I read and highlight without problems... and after the Onyx tell me I was running out of memory (but I have 700mb free).
I'll take a look to memory usage when Koread starts slowing down again.
Thank you for the support.
Advert
Old 06-19-2019, 03:38 PM   #6
pazos
cosiñeiro
pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BQ Cervantes 4
There is an issue opened for Onyx devices: https://github.com/koreader/koreader/issues/5073. It is related to flickering (video linked in OP) and frontlight not working.

Your issue seems unrelated (and hopefully fixed with the "keep screen on" setting). Anyways, feel free to keep us updated (here or in github)
pazos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2019, 05:14 PM   #7
fbrzvnrnd
Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by pazos View Post
There is an issue opened for Onyx devices: https://github.com/koreader/koreader/issues/5073. It is related to flickering (video linked in OP) and frontlight not working.

Your issue seems unrelated (and hopefully fixed with the "keep screen on" setting). Anyways, feel free to keep us updated (here or in github)
I never had the flickering problem... but I have another model of Onyx.
The "keep screen on" was active when I had the slowness...

I fear must be some memory problem, but I'll check it when Koreader will be slow again, thank you.
Old 06-20-2019, 07:57 AM   #8
fbrzvnrnd
Fanatic

It is happened today: koreader became less and less responsive. Clicking on top menu icons took 3/4 seconds to have an answer. I make some screenshot to "memory status" if this could be useful for betatesting.
I also see that launching koreader from "home" page, do not apply the fullscreen, and Koreader is faster. Launching koreader from "application" page, apply the fullscreen but the application is slower. I don't know if this is related.
Old 06-20-2019, 01:48 PM   #9
Frenzie
Wizard

What did it say in memory status? It's fairly rare for it to go over 100 MB, maybe 200. If that were indeed somehow related you could adjust the cache size.
Old 06-28-2019, 05:58 AM   #10
fbrzvnrnd
Fanatic

Hi, I made some experiment going from June version to April one and back: the April one is faster. Not only in highlight, but accessing top menus or looking the TOC. The June version sometimes takes 20/30 seconds to navigate TOC, where the April versione takes 1 second. Accessing top menus in April version takes less than one second, where June's version uses 3/4 seconds for the same operation. I took a look to memory and CPU usage, but I did not find anything useful. I don't know how to help the debugging.
Old 06-28-2019, 07:03 AM   #11
Frenzie
Wizard

That's quite bizarre. I don't see any obvious possible culprits I'm afraid.
Old 06-28-2019, 10:08 AM   #12
fbrzvnrnd
Fanatic

I see a lot of this in console log:

Failed to receive dispatch signal. status=-11

...but there are similar in April version too even if with a differente verbose.
Old 06-28-2019, 10:15 AM   #13
Frenzie
Wizard

It looks like that might indicate an Android 4.x device with buggy events.

https://ps3computing.blogspot.com/20...esponding.html
https://issuetracker.google.com/issues/36962804

Which doesn't really explain why it suddenly got worse, of course.
Old 06-28-2019, 12:45 PM   #14
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
My phone is kind of an "emergency only" backup reader, which means I don't spend much time using KOReader on it, so take that with a grain of salt, but, yeah, it kind of felt like the June (Android) release got a tiny bit more sluggish (of course, that's, err, very relative, since said phone is kind of a beast ;p).
Fair warning: might be entirely placebo!

In any case, I'd wait for the upcoming Android buildsystem tweaks and check then?
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2019, 06:47 PM   #15
pazos
cosiñeiro
pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BQ Cervantes 4
The suspicious commit is https://github.com/koreader/koreader...fd33b5ec712ea6. Should affect may and june builds

ie. Instead of using the NativeContent surface of NativeActivity we implement our own surface based on a SurfaceView and take ownership of the Native window.

This didn't cause any trouble on most eink devices, with good reports on both rockchip and freescale. But it created a bug (Application Not Responding) on some Amazon firmware -> https://github.com/koreader/koreader/issues/5020.

Please check the build in https://github.com/koreader/koreader...ment-505658530 and see it that fixes your problems. It fixed some long term memory leaks too, so it might help.

I will investigate if we can call the superclass after taking ownership of the window on onCreate.
pazos is offline   Reply With Quote