Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Onyx Boox

Notices

Old 12-16-2018, 09:51 PM   #1
Bookchin
Connoisseur
Bookchin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookchin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookchin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookchin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookchin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookchin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookchin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookchin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookchin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookchin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookchin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Onyx Boox Max 2019?

Anyone have any info or rumor of a possible Boox Max in 2019?
Bookchin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2018, 05:13 AM   #2
mikij1
Connoisseur
mikij1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikij1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikij1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikij1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikij1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikij1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikij1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikij1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikij1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikij1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikij1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2
10,7 "
32 GB. + sd card.
Frontlight
300 grs.

he he he
mikij1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-17-2018, 06:18 AM   #3
whopper
Addict
whopper can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguewhopper can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguewhopper can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguewhopper can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguewhopper can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguewhopper can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguewhopper can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguewhopper can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguewhopper can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguewhopper can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguewhopper can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

Device: Boox max 2
they just released max 2 pro and ended the new ereaders line with the same OS and cpu, also there aren't better screens than the max 2 at that size, so unless they release a max 2 with flushed glass screen, I don't see them releasing a new big device. No new hardware to make a refresh.

But that's just my speculation

Last edited by whopper; 12-17-2018 at 09:37 PM.
whopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2018, 08:03 PM   #4
Question Mark
Wizard
Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: More than I need, but not as many as I would like.
Whoops. Didn't read the title of thread correctly... Missed that it was just about the Max line of ereaders.

Last edited by Question Mark; 12-18-2018 at 03:27 PM.
Question Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2018, 12:06 PM   #5
Bookchin
Connoisseur
Bookchin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookchin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookchin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookchin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookchin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookchin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookchin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookchin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookchin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookchin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookchin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by whopper View Post
they just released max 2 pro and ended the new ereaders line with the same OS and cpu, also there aren't better screens than the max 2 at that size, so unless they release a max 2 with flushed glass screen, I don't see them releasing a new big device. No new hardware to make a refresh.

But that's just my speculation
They didn't "just release" the Max 2, it was released about a year ago.

I was hoping there might be something in the wind for 2019 (hopefully cheaper).
Advert
Old 12-18-2018, 12:21 PM   #6
whopper
Addict
whopper can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguewhopper can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguewhopper can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguewhopper can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguewhopper can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguewhopper can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguewhopper can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguewhopper can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguewhopper can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguewhopper can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguewhopper can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

Device: Boox max 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookchin View Post
They didn't "just release" the Max 2, it was released about a year ago.

I was hoping there might be something in the wind for 2019 (hopefully cheaper).
I said max 2 pro, that was released 2 or 3 weeks ago.

And as I said, I don't see them releasing another device without a new higher res screen, lights or glass screen.

As they already said that glass screen or lights will "never" be on a device with that screen size, I don't see them releasing another device.

And I hope I'm wrong and they give us a 13" 300dpi with lights max 3, but doubt it for 2019
whopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2018, 03:31 PM   #7
Question Mark
Wizard
Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by whopper View Post
As they already said that glass screen or lights will "never" be on a device with that screen size, I don't see them releasing another device.
Maybe they will release a Max 2 Pro with a card slot. I imagine it could be done fairly easily and it is a feature which a lot of current users have lamented is missing so it might even generate further sales from already existing Max 2 customers.
Old 12-18-2018, 05:46 PM   #8
franzli
Addict
franzli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.franzli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.franzli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.franzli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.franzli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.franzli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.franzli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.franzli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.franzli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.franzli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.franzli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch, Onyx Boox T68 Plus
Would be an annoying lesson for the manufacturers from customers' perspective though: bring out a device missing a key feature - people complain but there is no real competitor, so many people still buy - wait for a year or so to milk the market - bring out the same device including the missing feature this time, advertising it as huge progress and sell it for a little extra - same people pay another time for the "upgraded" version without significant extra R&D costs for manufacturer
franzli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2018, 09:36 PM   #9
Question Mark
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by franzli View Post
Would be an annoying lesson for the manufacturers from customers' perspective though: bring out a device missing a key feature - people complain but there is no real competitor, so many people still buy - wait for a year or so to milk the market - bring out the same device including the missing feature this time, advertising it as huge progress and sell it for a little extra - same people pay another time for the "upgraded" version without significant extra R&D costs for manufacturer
That would be a bit of a dastardly thing to do to your customers. However, from a business perspective, it could be tempting to do so... so long as your customers were never to find out that it had been a conscious plan all along. You could instead just spin it to say that you were listening to what your customers were saying, taking their suggestions to heart...

It might be kind of like offering a 64 GB Pro version only after you have sold a given number of regular units instead of offering the two units side by side... A staggered release of devices with additional memory capacities is likely to generate a few more sales, assuming, of course, that you have no viable competitors attempting to beat you to it.

How and ever, I suspect that they will not release a version with a card slot as the current trend seems to be toward forcing users to make use of cloud storage, something which I do not entirely trust although I can see its usefulness in certain circumstances.
Old 12-19-2018, 05:39 PM   #10
jessie102
Addict
jessie102 is kind to children and small, furry animalsjessie102 is kind to children and small, furry animalsjessie102 is kind to children and small, furry animalsjessie102 is kind to children and small, furry animalsjessie102 is kind to children and small, furry animalsjessie102 is kind to children and small, furry animalsjessie102 is kind to children and small, furry animalsjessie102 is kind to children and small, furry animalsjessie102 is kind to children and small, furry animalsjessie102 is kind to children and small, furry animalsjessie102 is kind to children and small, furry animals

Device: SONY PRS505
Quote:
Originally Posted by Question Mark View Post
.... I suspect that they will not release a version with a card slot as the current trend seems to be toward forcing users to make use of cloud storage, something which I do not entirely trust although I can see its usefulness in certain circumstances.
Based on my understanding countries in the Five Eyes Alliance actively discourage companies from making devices with removable memory so any files stored on the cloud by political dissidents can be easily discovered by the authorities.
jessie102 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2018, 07:45 PM   #11
Pizza_Cant_Read
Sentient Sauce
Pizza_Cant_Read ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pizza_Cant_Read ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pizza_Cant_Read ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pizza_Cant_Read ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pizza_Cant_Read ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pizza_Cant_Read ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pizza_Cant_Read ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pizza_Cant_Read ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pizza_Cant_Read ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pizza_Cant_Read ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pizza_Cant_Read ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 9th Gen Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessie102 View Post
Based on my understanding countries in the Five Eyes Alliance actively discourage companies from making devices with removable memory so any files stored on the cloud by political dissidents can be easily discovered by the authorities.
As opposed to Russia, China, much of Latin America and Africa? Oh yeah and the rest of Asia which are much more friendly with dissidents? I agree that it benefits national surveillance agencies as well as cloud providers but you cannot simply pin that on the Five Eyes. I'd be much more fearful of posting political content in China or Venezuela than posting a sexually explicit image of unspeakable things involving the American president.

My biggest issue is with 'democratic' countries allowing rulers of non democratic countries claim to be representatives of their people. Just because you wield power doesn't imbue you the right to 'represent' those you control. Oh and 'free' countries shouldn't sell the means of oppression to bad actors. It is equivalent to selling a weapon to someone who brags to the cashier at the checkout that they are going home to kill their spouse.

Posting because someone in another thread mentioned Five Eyes just recently, and I couldn't let a second post slip me by without saying something =D

Back on topic:

Other manufacturers do a backlight. Some do it well, some not so well. Onyx can do it too. I understand it is easier to do one without but it *is* an option. Upgrading system specs , battery or means of charging are all options.

If the Likebook Mimas is ever released then Onyx will have something to compete with. But until someone does something almost as good or better they are likely to sit on their hands and let the money come to them.

Last edited by Pizza_Cant_Read; 12-19-2018 at 07:55 PM.
Pizza_Cant_Read is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2018, 09:02 PM   #12
Pizza_Cant_Read
Sentient Sauce
Pizza_Cant_Read ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pizza_Cant_Read ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pizza_Cant_Read ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pizza_Cant_Read ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pizza_Cant_Read ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pizza_Cant_Read ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pizza_Cant_Read ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pizza_Cant_Read ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pizza_Cant_Read ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pizza_Cant_Read ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pizza_Cant_Read ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

The specs on the most recent device are beautiful. I have read that adding a backlight hurts the contrast by 'adding an extra layer' to the screen and I see how that would be bad for an artist who uses the device for drawing. But for me it would be reading, note taking, organizing and editing PDFs. I bet musicians playing in low light venues would appreciate the light too and they are a target demographic!
Old 12-20-2018, 02:15 AM   #13
Bookchin
Connoisseur

I just want a 13.3" very basic e-reader without all the bells and whistles. I want it to have fast refresh and 32GB storage, but other than that, I just need a basic e-reader for academic and self-scanned PDFs. I don't even need Android, or anything else, just a basic shell OS, for cheap e.g. $500.00.

Santa, are you listening?
Old 12-20-2018, 09:03 AM   #14
rkomar
Wizard
rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505, PB 902, PRS-T1, PB 623, PB 840, PB 633
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pizza_Cant_Read View Post
The specs on the most recent device are beautiful. I have read that adding a backlight hurts the contrast by 'adding an extra layer' to the screen and I see how that would be bad for an artist who uses the device for drawing. But for me it would be reading, note taking, organizing and editing PDFs. I bet musicians playing in low light venues would appreciate the light too and they are a target demographic!
The light layer requires that the screen be flat. Plastic screens have bumps, and are usually put into cases that bend slightly (because they are slim and light). The light would end up being very uneven over the display. For that reason, the display manufacturer (not Onyx) does not even offer such combinations for sale.
rkomar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2018, 09:08 AM   #15
Pizza_Cant_Read
Sentient Sauce

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookchin View Post
I just want a 13.3" very basic e-reader without all the bells and whistles. I want it to have fast refresh and 32GB storage, but other than that, I just need a basic e-reader for academic and self-scanned PDFs. I don't even need Android, or anything else, just a basic shell OS, for cheap e.g. $500.00.

Santa, are you listening?
There is ton of stuff just a bit smaller than that. Any chance you could compromise with 10"? If so you can find stuff even cheaper than $500! I don't have experience with any of it but check out ReMarkable and Onyx Boox products. Sony may even have something.

Good luck. Remember, Santa loves you... he wants you to find something that will make you happy