Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Bookeen

Notices

Old 10-12-2008, 08:09 AM   #1
Hatgirl
Addict
Hatgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hatgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hatgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hatgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hatgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hatgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hatgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hatgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hatgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hatgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hatgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-300, Sony PRS-T2, Kindle (7th Gen)
Gen3 Refresh

It seems the Cybook Gen3 may be the reader for me.
Have any of you switched off the Global Refresh? Does the ghosting happen immediately? If it does, can it be cleared by a refresh or is it then permanent?
Hatgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2008, 08:16 AM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Ghosting certainly isn't permanent, no. It should clear itself when the machine boots, it nothing else.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-12-2008, 11:57 AM   #3
ADSR
Cyreader
ADSR began at the beginning.

Device: Cybook Gen3
The ghosting isn't permanent but it is annoying IMHO. When you select a book from the library and start to read, you can still see trails from the graphics of the library through the text. After a few pageturns this is gone, but then again you'll always still see trails from the previous pages. So I wouldn't recommend turning off global refresh although it seems to save power.
ADSR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2008, 02:21 PM   #4
bwaldron
Wizard
bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles: Paperwhite Signature Ed., Oasis 2, Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ADSR View Post
The ghosting isn't permanent but it is annoying IMHO.
I agree. The slight extra time taken to do a full refresh is less annoying to me than the ghosting.
bwaldron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2008, 02:24 PM   #5
pthwaite
Fanatic
pthwaite has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.pthwaite has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.pthwaite has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.pthwaite has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.pthwaite has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: DR1000S Sony PRS505 iPad iPhone
I think it depends on what you are reading. A lot of the time I don't find the ghosting much of a problem. The only real way to tell is try it and see. I do toggle the refresh to see the difference on most books I open & then stick to the one that least bothers me.

I really do like the cybook as a reader, it's ever so light and easy to carry.
pthwaite is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-13-2008, 03:49 AM   #6
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by bwaldron View Post
I agree. The slight extra time taken to do a full refresh is less annoying to me than the ghosting.
The original poster apparently has a problem with the screen inversion giving her a headache - that's why she's asking about using the Gen3 with the "flash" turned off.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2008, 11:03 AM   #7
bwaldron
Wizard
bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles: Paperwhite Signature Ed., Oasis 2, Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
The original poster apparently has a problem with the screen inversion giving her a headache - that's why she's asking about using the Gen3 with the "flash" turned off.
I should have been more careful in responding. If the choice were between ghosting and headaches, I would choose the former.

The ghosting isn't horrible by any means.
bwaldron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2008, 01:21 PM   #8
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Orizon, Kobo Aura
There's always the possibility of timing the eyes' blinking with the flashing refresh, or looking away...
Jellby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2008, 06:00 AM   #9
Hatgirl
Addict
Hatgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hatgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hatgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hatgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hatgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hatgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hatgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hatgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hatgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hatgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hatgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thanks for the input, everyone! I think the ghosting would be OK, but then again I thought the flash would be OK until I got to use a Sony for a while. Are there any demo videos up on the web that feature the ghosting? I've watched a few demos on YouTube, but none of them featured that.
Old 10-14-2008, 06:05 AM   #10
Over
Wizard
Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Samsung Galaxy Note Pro 12.2", OnePlus 6
youtube's video quality isn't the best way to see that kind of detail.

But's it's funny the flashing gives you an headache. I mean, when you turn a magazine's pages quickly, does that cause you headaches too? There's no flash of light or radiation that could cause those headaches.
Over is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2008, 06:27 AM   #11
Hatgirl
Addict

Nope, paper books are fine. LCDs are fine. CRTs are fine. Daylight and gloom are fine. Smudges on my glasses and my bangs at a certain length were a problem, but I got laser surgery and grew out my hair and that solved that.

I know that YouTube quality isn't great, but watching the page flashes as they demo'd the Cybook gave me a headache like the Sony Reader, so I will probably be able to judge.

Until they develop skull transplants, I'll just have to make do :-D
Old 10-14-2008, 06:39 AM   #12
Over
Wizard
Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Samsung Galaxy Note Pro 12.2", OnePlus 6
I would recommend to check out those ereaders live. I mean, you saw flashing through a computer monitor, the flashing monitor might be the thing that triggers those headaches.
Over is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2008, 08:55 AM   #13
Hatgirl
Addict

As I mentioned earlier up the page, I have had a about 45mins with 2 Sony Readers in Waterstones. I'd love a chance to get to use the Gen3 before I buy, but no bricks-and-mortor shops carry them in Ireland AFAIK. So I am stuck with YouTube etc for figuring out if ghosting would be OK.
Old 10-14-2008, 11:02 AM   #14
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hatgirl View Post
Thanks for the input, everyone! I think the ghosting would be OK, but then again I thought the flash would be OK until I got to use a Sony for a while. Are there any demo videos up on the web that feature the ghosting? I've watched a few demos on YouTube, but none of them featured that.
You could look at the Jetbook. The reflexive LCD screen is very fast and doesn't flash at all when you turn pages. Many times I actually thought I didn't press the next page button since it changes so fast.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2008, 11:38 AM   #15
Hatgirl
Addict

I thought about that, but I want to be able to read it outdoors. AFAIK, it's not too great for that because it's an LCD screen.