Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Devices

Notices

Old 12-25-2017, 03:42 PM   #1
gjbalzano
gjbalzano began at the beginning.

Device: kindle paperwhite, nook tablet 7
Nook Tablet 7?

Hi, and please forgive if my questions are answered elsewhere. I searched but didn't find anything.

I have a Nook Tablet 7, and Calibre is able to "see" it just fine. It is also able to transfer books to it. But when I look for these Calibre-transferred books on the Nook itself, they do not appear.

If I launch the "Android File Transfer" app on my MacBook, the books that I have copied to the Nook show up just fine, inside a directory named "Books". So according to my computer, both Calibre and AFT are telling me I have these books on the Nook ... but the Nook itself does not display them as part of the "Nook Library".

What is my problem here?

Thanks in advance for any answers.

gjb
gjbalzano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2017, 07:01 AM   #2
RodMyers
Enthusiast
RodMyers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RodMyers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RodMyers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RodMyers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RodMyers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RodMyers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RodMyers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RodMyers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RodMyers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RodMyers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RodMyers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook Lux 5
Did you configure Calibre to put into a particular folder? My guess, you didn't.

Hit the "issue" when I got my new tablet. Created a folder on the tablet, and then configured calibre to put into that folder.

I never did find where calibre "put" the files the first time
RodMyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-26-2017, 06:35 PM   #3
gjbalzano

Quote:
Originally Posted by RodMyers View Post
Did you configure Calibre to put into a particular folder? My guess, you didn't.

Hit the "issue" when I got my new tablet. Created a folder on the tablet, and then configured calibre to put into that folder.

I never did find where calibre "put" the files the first time
Thanks for your response, Rod. I don't understand, though, how doing what you suggest would help. Calibre already KNEW to place items in a "Books" folder. Moreover, Calibre, when asked to "show books in the main memory of the device", shows exactly the items I have transferred. It recognizes the device (it's a "BNTV450"), and behaves exactly as it would be expected to.

To be sure, I did follow your suggestion, and I explicitly "configured" the device to put EPUB books into the "Books" folder ... which it was already doing, of course. But then after restarting calibre and transferring another book ... still the device itself shows no sign of being "aware" of the presence of these books in its "Books" folder ... a folder which it already had, not one I had to create.

Anyway, perhaps I am still misunderstanding something, but so far, still NO GO with this Nook Tablet 7 and receiving "side-loaded" books from calibre. If there's a reason to suspect that it WON'T work, because some software driver or some such has not been written, then at least I know that I should give up. But since everything looks like it ought to work — looks, in fact, a lot like my Kindle Fire HD6 — I'm therefore mystified as to why it DOESN'T work.

gjb
Old 12-27-2017, 01:27 PM   #4
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, iphone/ipad (Marvin/iBooks/QuickReader)
It is always possible that you have a ‘bad’ book that the indexer cannot handle and that stops it going onto the others. In such a case the only solution is to remove the current books that are not being seen and trying to send just a few at a time until you can isolate the one causing the problem.
itimpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2017, 12:38 AM   #5
gjbalzano

Thanks for your suggestion, itimpi. Since the device is new, there are only three books that I tried to put on it. (All of these books btw work fine on my Kindles.) So I removed them all and tried a different book. No effect. Removed it, tried another book. No effect. So the quest continues. Appreciate the assistance, wish it had worked.

gjb
Advert
Old 12-28-2017, 01:33 AM   #6
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Been a long time since I messed with a Nook, but do we know if the Nook software allow for showing sideloaded books as part of the Nook Library? (B&N often has strange ideas about sideloaded content)

The device manual just says to use the devices File Manager app to see your sideloaded content (I'd assume tapping a book in the file manager would launch the Nook reader assuming B&N did it right).

Quote:
6. Select the files you want to transfer from your computer, then drag and drop them from your
computer to the storage of your NOOK.
This is essentially what Calibre is doing, but perhaps the Books folder is the wrong destination? Was that on the Nook or did Calibre create it with the initial transfer? Calibre is likely treating it basically as any other Android tablet (which is essentially what it is, just with a little customization)

Quote:
NOTE: You can view PDF documents using the Nook software by copying the PDF file from
your computer to the Nook/copy folder location in internal storage.
This note mentions PDF so I don't know if that location will also work for ePub's or not. Might be worth a try though...

Quote:
7. Once you finish sideloading the files you want to transfer, disconnect your NOOK from your
computer by using your computer’s file system to eject your NOOK as if you are ejecting a
disk.

8. Use your NOOK’s File Manager app to view files copied to your NOOK’s storage.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2017, 07:50 PM   #7
gjbalzano

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
...This is essentially what Calibre is doing, but perhaps the Books folder is the wrong destination? Was that on the Nook or did Calibre create it with the initial transfer? Calibre is likely treating it basically as any other Android tablet (which is essentially what it is, just with a little customization)...
Thanks for this idea ... so what I did was I tried using OTHER folders instead of the "Books" folder ... and the NOOK folder was the one that it needed to be using. So the answer is, with the Nook Tablet 7, use the NOOK folder as the destination folder, and the books will show up.

Thanks to all for your help.

gjb