Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

Old 10-21-2015, 03:10 PM   #31
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
That is good news that the partitioned memory went away.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2015, 03:40 PM   #32
Traciinaz
Enthusiast
Traciinaz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Traciinaz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Traciinaz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Traciinaz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Traciinaz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Traciinaz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Traciinaz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Traciinaz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Traciinaz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Traciinaz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Traciinaz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Nook Glowlight 3, Kindle Paperwhite 4, Nook 7" Tablet
I picked one up today at my local store. Calibre is of course not able to recognize it yet since it just came out, but when I plugged it into my computer it says there is 2.56 GB of 2.81 available.
Traciinaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-21-2015, 03:44 PM   #33
kacir
Wizard
kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 360, before it was Sony Reader, cassiopeia A-20
This looks extremely tempting.
I will have to wait until it arrives to Europe

Nate, is the screen flush like in Voyage?

Last edited by kacir; 10-21-2015 at 03:47 PM. Reason: Posted info about memory that was already answered further in the thread by Nate himself
kacir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2015, 03:49 PM   #34
Kosst Amojan
Addict
Kosst Amojan is a splendid one to beholdKosst Amojan is a splendid one to beholdKosst Amojan is a splendid one to beholdKosst Amojan is a splendid one to beholdKosst Amojan is a splendid one to beholdKosst Amojan is a splendid one to beholdKosst Amojan is a splendid one to beholdKosst Amojan is a splendid one to beholdKosst Amojan is a splendid one to beholdKosst Amojan is a splendid one to beholdKosst Amojan is a splendid one to behold

Device: Nook Glowlight Plus
So I picked one up at 10 o’clock this morning, got the device and a really nice grey and leather cover all together for like $158. Turned it on and the battery was at 10% so I set up my account and let it charge/download my collection for an hour and got it to 80%

I’m coming from the NST so the layout was pretty familiar. The device is noticeably much lighter than the NST and feels much more solid. The back of the device is a bronze color and metal which I didn’t expect. I kinda miss the rubberized finish of the NST but the bezel here is lightly textured so getting a grip isn’t a problem.

I’ve played with a paperwhite and the screen is obviously similar but the navigation is much quicker. The backlight is fairly uniform and adjustable. The Readouts feature is actually kinda cool, might use it every once and a while if it’s updated often.
Kosst Amojan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2015, 03:53 PM   #35
Kosst Amojan
Addict
Kosst Amojan is a splendid one to beholdKosst Amojan is a splendid one to beholdKosst Amojan is a splendid one to beholdKosst Amojan is a splendid one to beholdKosst Amojan is a splendid one to beholdKosst Amojan is a splendid one to beholdKosst Amojan is a splendid one to beholdKosst Amojan is a splendid one to beholdKosst Amojan is a splendid one to beholdKosst Amojan is a splendid one to beholdKosst Amojan is a splendid one to behold

Device: Nook Glowlight Plus
Quote:
Originally Posted by kacir View Post
This looks extremely tempting.
I will have to wait until it arrives to Europe

Nate, is the screen flush like in Voyage?
Don't know about the Voyage but the screen is flush with the bezel, the bezel is plastic and textured though so if you run a finger across you can obviously tell where the screen starts.
Kosst Amojan is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-21-2015, 04:00 PM   #36
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Here's a basic look at the device from cnet...

AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2015, 04:14 PM   #37
tdonline
Addict
tdonline ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tdonline ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tdonline ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tdonline ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tdonline ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tdonline ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tdonline ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tdonline ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tdonline ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tdonline ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tdonline ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW3, Nook Simple Touch
I also dropped by BN for a look. I brought my old trusty NST with me. Sitting each reader side by side, it really hit me how dark and thick the fonts are in the NST. No wonder the Glowlight text seemed so light and foreign to me. I hadn't brought my NST for those tests. Not only is the text much darker, but so is the background. The lighter and sleeker look is a little strange to me but I'm sure it's a matter of adjustment. Once I was conscious of the difference, I could see how the text is sharper in the GL Plus. The lighting looked even.

The font selection is still pretty limited but far different from the NST offerings. I think the only font they have in common is Malabar. I set both readers to Malabar. The font size selection is an improvement over the NST. Where the NST has a range of 7 sizes, the GL Plus has 10 (I think...I counted as I went up and down the range).

The biggest downer though is the dictionary. Obviously, I didn't have time to really check out the content of it but the font size is tiny! If you're using an e-reader because you need the bigger font size, the tiny font size of the GL Plus' dictionary is really disappointing. For me, it's a comfort issue--likely I can tolerate it for the few seconds it takes to read a definition. But if you really do have a visual disability, the GL Plus' dictionary may be useless to you. Is there a way to fix this issue (aside from ditching BN system).

The dictionary is a barrier but I'm still considering the GL Plus. I'll probably wait to see if there will be a Black Friday deal.
tdonline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2015, 04:28 PM   #38
spedinfargo
Groupie
spedinfargo is the king of the Divan.spedinfargo is the king of the Divan.spedinfargo is the king of the Divan.spedinfargo is the king of the Divan.spedinfargo is the king of the Divan.spedinfargo is the king of the Divan.spedinfargo is the king of the Divan.spedinfargo is the king of the Divan.spedinfargo is the king of the Divan.spedinfargo is the king of the Divan.spedinfargo is the king of the Divan.

Device: none
I'm glad that little rubber border thing went away - mine is starting to fray in a couple spots. Also excited about the increased resolution... and oh man, if it gets rooted, so many more of the apps will work because of KitKat
spedinfargo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2015, 05:03 PM   #39
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Traciinaz View Post
I picked one up today at my local store. Calibre is of course not able to recognize it yet since it just came out, but when I plugged it into my computer it says there is 2.56 GB of 2.81 available.
Well then, perhaps you should follow the instructions here: http://manual.calibre-ebook.com/faq....ted-in-calibre
And get it supported.

No one has submitted the info on the bugtracker or in the Devices forum yet.

Make sure to get it in in time for this Friday's release.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2015, 05:37 PM   #40
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Quote:
My calibre recognized it as a Nook.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2015, 05:38 PM   #41
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kosst Amojan View Post
Don't know about the Voyage but the screen is flush with the bezel, the bezel is plastic and textured though so if you run a finger across you can obviously tell where the screen starts.
Correct.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2015, 05:39 PM   #42
tdonline
Addict
tdonline ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tdonline ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tdonline ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tdonline ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tdonline ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tdonline ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tdonline ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tdonline ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tdonline ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tdonline ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tdonline ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW3, Nook Simple Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kosst Amojan View Post
So I picked one up at 10 o’clock this morning,
Don't forget to edit your profile under Device
tdonline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2015, 05:44 PM   #43
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate the great View Post
My calibre recognized it as a Nook.
I guess it depends on whether or not B&N reuses the old USB IDs.
Certainly Amazon does.

If they are reused, then calibre will be able to detect the new devices as though they are the old devices (and for all the computer knows, they might as well be.)
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2015, 06:06 PM   #44
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calenorn View Post
I agree. That's very clear; comparable to the 2013 GlowLight. Too bad.
Not unless the 2013 PW was retrofitted with a 300 dpi screen. It's comparable to the new PW3, except with a flush screen (like the Voyage) and it's waterproof (like the H2O).

Last edited by rcentros; 10-21-2015 at 09:27 PM.
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2015, 10:37 PM   #45
Traciinaz
Enthusiast
Traciinaz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Traciinaz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Traciinaz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Traciinaz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Traciinaz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Traciinaz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Traciinaz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Traciinaz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Traciinaz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Traciinaz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Traciinaz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Nook Glowlight 3, Kindle Paperwhite 4, Nook 7" Tablet
[QUOTE=Nate the great;3191902]My calibre recognized it as a Nook.[/QUOT

Calibre is giving me the message of "Error communicating with device" when I plug it in. And Digital Editions isn't finding it either. Under my windows explorer, it's listing the nook as a media device instead of a separate drive so I'm beginning to wonder if there's something wrong with the nook. My NST reads on my computer as it's own drive and is recognized on Calibre and Digital Editions.
Traciinaz is offline   Reply With Quote