Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 11-22-2013, 05:28 PM   #346
ploum
Zealot
ploum can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueploum can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueploum can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueploum can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueploum can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueploum can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueploum can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueploum can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueploum can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueploum can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueploum can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD 3 + koreader
I have a bug that's now always reproducible on 3.0 :*

1) Disable the wifi
2) Renable the wifi
3) Try to sync or to open the Pocket page :*the wifi is unable to connect.

Only solution : reboot

More information: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=227574
ploum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2013, 05:27 AM   #347
ploum
Zealot
ploum can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueploum can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueploum can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueploum can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueploum can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueploum can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueploum can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueploum can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueploum can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueploum can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueploum can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

Just realized that disabling/reenabling the wifi is not even needed. In fact, with 3.0, the Wifi can connect only once! Then a reboot is required.
Advert
Old 11-23-2013, 05:41 AM   #348
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, iPadMini4, iPad4, MBP; support other Kobo/Kindles
Quote:
Originally Posted by ploum View Post
I have a bug that's now always reproducible on 3.0 :*

1) Disable the wifi
2) Renable the wifi
3) Try to sync or to open the Pocket page :*the wifi is unable to connect.

Only solution : reboot

More information: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=227574
This bug's not always reproducible here: I can't reproduce it at all. Glo, sideloaded 3.0, hidden wifi network, WPA2 (Personal). No issues using an open network, either.

Have you tried the usual escalating resets in an attempt to troubleshoot?
meeera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 04:45 AM   #349
ploum
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by meeera View Post
This bug's not always reproducible here: I can't reproduce it at all. Glo, sideloaded 3.0, hidden wifi network, WPA2 (Personal). No issues using an open network, either.

Have you tried the usual escalating resets in an attempt to troubleshoot?
Maybe I*missed some. Is there anything else than the very long press on the power button? Could you point them to me?
Old 11-25-2013, 04:50 AM   #350
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, iPadMini4, iPad4, MBP; support other Kobo/Kindles
A very long press on the power button simply turns the reader off, it doesn't reset it. There are a few different types of resets (and "resets") - from simply logging out of your Kobo account on your device (can fix some database weirdnesses), to a simple paperclip reset, to a full factory reset which returns the device to the state it came in in the box. Have a look through the Kobo forums for full details.
meeera is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-25-2013, 06:20 AM   #351
ploum
Zealot

Thanks. I tried every single reset but it didn't solve the bug.

1) After full reset, I connected to my kobo account (which prompted me to connect to a Wifi).
2) I linked my Pocket account.
3) I put the Glo in to sleep.
4) Woke up the Glo and tried to connect to wifi :*not possible any more.

I didn't downgrade the firmware, I can confirm it happens on 2.10, 3.0 and 3.0.1.
Old 11-25-2013, 06:39 AM   #352
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
ploum: Do you have access to the WiFi router? Can you check whether it has the Glo as a client? And whether an IP address has been given to the device?

The reason for the check is to see where it is going wrong. When they connect, the Kobo ereaders will attempt to fetch a URL. If that fails, they will close the connection. I have seen failures to connect in the past and when I looked, the router had the connections from the device, so it was the fetch that failed.

It might also be worthwhile restarting the router to check that it isn't something there that is causing the problem. Or checking the DHCP allocation to make sure there are enough addresses available. Or trying with another router. Testing at work or on someone else's network would eliminate anything in your usual network as a factor.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 08:11 AM   #353
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Can you describe the WiFi setup please? Router model, f/w on it, WiFi settings, DHCP settings?
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 10:59 AM   #354
ploum
Zealot

No, seriously, this hasn't anything to do with the router. It started with 2.10 and the Kobo doesn't even try to connect. The icon barely appears and then disappears immediately.

What is even more interesting is that if I go in the preferences and look for a network and try to connect to any network, including a new one :

1) It lists the available network (which proves that the wifi is still active)
2) It fails immediately on any network. It doesn't even try to connect. It fails as soon as I*clicked the network.

Also, someone else on the forum has the same issue.
Old 11-25-2013, 11:18 AM   #355
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Quote:
No, seriously, this hasn't anything to do with the router. It started with 2.10 and the Kobo doesn't even try to connect. The icon barely appears and then disappears immediately.

What is even more interesting is that if I go in the preferences and look for a network and try to connect to any network, including a new one :

2) It fails immediately on any network. It doesn't even try to connect. It fails as soon as I*clicked the network.

Also, someone else on the forum has the same issue.
Whatever. Sorry that you can't be bothered to give info that might help see what is going on. Why not just buy a kindle then.
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 07:22 PM   #356
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:

Do you mean it fails in the same way on any network/router you have tried? Or that you connected OK once on one network and then it failed when you tried the second without restarting the ereader?

Kobo have changed something recently to improve the speed of reconnecting. Something might be wrong with that. Try adding the following into your "Kobo eReader.conf":

Code:
[FeatureSettings]
FastWifi=false
You might already have a "FeatureSettings" section. If you do, just add the second line to that section.

If this does what I think it does, it should bypass the new code and use the long version each time. If it doesn't change things, change the value to "true" and try again. If either helps, we have a workaround and more detail that can be reported to Kobo.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 05:22 AM   #357
ploum
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
Do you mean it fails in the same way on any network/router you have tried? Or that you connected OK once on one network and then it failed when you tried the second without restarting the ereader?

Kobo have changed something recently to improve the speed of reconnecting. Something might be wrong with that. Try adding the following into your "Kobo eReader.conf":

Code:
[FeatureSettings]
FastWifi=false
You might already have a "FeatureSettings" section. If you do, just add the second line to that section.

If this does what I think it does, it should bypass the new code and use the long version each time. If it doesn't change things, change the value to "true" and try again. If either helps, we have a workaround and more detail that can be reported to Kobo.
When I saw your message, I know that you were on something because, indeed, it looks *very* related to my issue.

I had no FeatureSettings section in the conf file but adding it with FastWifi=false solved the issue.

Thanks a lot! That's very helpful.

So there's definitively a bug in the new FastWifi code. What is really surprising is that when their FastWifi fails, it should at least try to fallback to the normal code.

As I've not been the only one to hit this issue, it would be interesting to see if someone else could confirm that it fixes the issue for him too.And then consider this bug as confirmed with a known workaround.

Thanks again.
Old 11-26-2013, 05:24 AM   #358
ploum
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterT View Post
Whatever. Sorry that you can't be bothered to give info that might help see what is going on. Why not just buy a kindle then.
Don't take it bad. I'm a software engineer myself and I know what to try and what not. I've been sniffing and saw that the Kobo was not sending any packet at all (so not trying to reconnect). Would it help to know that I'm on a standard Wifi router from the telecom company with WPA encryption?
Old 11-26-2013, 05:27 AM   #359
ploum
Zealot

Ok, I've talked too quickly. It allowed me to solve the problem when:

1) I'm connected.
2) I disable the wifi.
3) I reconnect the wifi.

This was an issue, it is not anymore. But if I*let the connection timeout, it is still not working. That's really really strange.
Old 11-26-2013, 05:30 AM   #360
ploum
Zealot

Ok, I understand why:*the Kobo erased the [FeatureSettings] from the file.

So, yes, your fix is working. But how can I prevent the eReader.conf from being overwritten a few minutes after?

Tags
pocket app