Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

Old 06-06-2011, 07:18 PM   #61
trekchick
Lurker
trekchick can eat soup with a fork.trekchick can eat soup with a fork.trekchick can eat soup with a fork.trekchick can eat soup with a fork.trekchick can eat soup with a fork.trekchick can eat soup with a fork.trekchick can eat soup with a fork.trekchick can eat soup with a fork.trekchick can eat soup with a fork.trekchick can eat soup with a fork.trekchick can eat soup with a fork.

Device: Sonys and Kindles and Nooks, oh my!
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Why not like Sony does it?

Toc Entry
+Level 1 Heading
+Level 1 Heading
Toc Entry
Toc Entry
Sony's way is a two-edged sword. Sure, you can see more of the top-levels on one page, but it can lead to a lot of extra screen taps, if you're looking for a particular sub-heading.
trekchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 07:21 PM   #62
anamardoll
Chasing Butterflies
anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Uses batteries.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MsCG1 View Post
I think the syncing issue is a legitimate problem and not petty at all. ESPECIALLY since BN advertises this as a feature. They need to fix it, it could very well be a deal breaker to many.
That and the fact that apparently page syncing and highlight/bookmark syncing is something that Apple, Amazon, and Sony can do to various degrees more sophisticated than B&N.

So it's not like we're asking the impossible.

(And if we're going to say the Nook = Civic and Kindle = Lexus, as per the previous analogy, well that a whole 'nother Dead Horse. )
anamardoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-06-2011, 08:08 PM   #63
SCION
Séduisant
SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note Air2+; Kobo Libra2; Kindle Scribe, Oasis3; iPad Mini6
Quote:
Originally Posted by MsCG1 View Post
I think the syncing issue is a legitimate problem and not petty at all. ESPECIALLY since BN advertises this as a feature. They need to fix it, it could very well be a deal breaker to many.
Why don't they have a sticky in the BN.com NOOK Technical Support forum declaring their awareness of the issue. Keeping this on the down low is what p^sses me off. Folks are considering just returning the device. What do they think, no one is going to notice this missing feature? It's asinine.
SCION is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 09:13 PM   #64
anamardoll
Chasing Butterflies
anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCION View Post
Why don't they have a sticky in the BN.com NOOK Technical Support forum declaring their awareness of the issue. Keeping this on the down low is what p^sses me off. Folks are considering just returning the device. What do they think, no one is going to notice this missing feature? It's asinine.
Well, if you don't already have a Nook or a Nook app... Yes.

How many of us (myself included) responded saying, I've never been able to get it to work, but maybe I'm doing something wrong...

I agree, they need to be more upfront about it.
Old 06-06-2011, 09:35 PM   #65
TimW
Wizard
TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KK3G, KPW1, Sony PRST1, Sony PRS350, iPod Touch 5G
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCION View Post
The syncing problem is a longstanding issue and is extremely aggravating. It's something that can be fixed but there is another issue that is NOT a bug that I find more disturbing. The Nook Color devices that have been repartitioned and the STR reader have a portion that is reserved for B&N content. These reserved areas are "zones of darkness." Any books or apps are hidden from the user. No backups are possible. You can save the actual books by using Nook for PC but the book/apps like the children's books can't be saved in that manner. You don't even know how many BN books you have in the "zone of darkness" until it says "I'm full now."
TimW is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-07-2011, 12:14 AM   #66
boswd
Banned
boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: The Nook, Nook color and Droid X
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimW View Post
The syncing problem is a longstanding issue and is extremely aggravating. It's something that can be fixed but there is another issue that is NOT a bug that I find more disturbing. The Nook Color devices that have been repartitioned and the STR reader have a portion that is reserved for B&N content. These reserved areas are "zones of darkness." Any books or apps are hidden from the user. No backups are possible. You can save the actual books by using Nook for PC but the book/apps like the children's books can't be saved in that manner. You don't even know how many BN books you have in the "zone of darkness" until it says "I'm full now."
I'm not sure where you are going with this, if you have any sideloaded books you already have them saved on your computer in first place before you even transfer them over to your nook. And all BN purchased books etc are stored on at your account on BN.com and on your App for android or iOS.

So huh?

but I do love all the Kindle owners invading the nook forum as of late to try to trash it at every chance they get.
boswd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 03:01 AM   #67
TimW
Wizard
TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KK3G, KPW1, Sony PRST1, Sony PRS350, iPod Touch 5G
Quote:
Originally Posted by boswd View Post
I'm not sure where you are going with this, if you have any sideloaded books you already have them saved on your computer in first place before you even transfer them over to your nook. And all BN purchased books etc are stored on at your account on BN.com and on your App for android or iOS.

So huh?

but I do love all the Kindle owners invading the nook forum as of late to try to trash it at every chance they get.
I'm not trashing anything. It's not terribly user friendly to lock out most of the onboard memory and make everything in it invisible. It also happens to be the first item requested to change on the "Wishlist for 1.1 Update" on the Nook boards. "At the very least, please add another indicator for available storage so we know how much room we have left for B&N content. The way things are now, we have no idea when we are getting close to reaching the limit.. Since B&N seems to have decided to stick with this partition scheme, please make it possible for us to download all of our B&N content to the NOOK for PC app, even if it can't be opened, so we can create backups of our own. This is quickly becoming a deal breaker for me."

http://bookclubs.barnesandnoble.com/...56104#U1056104
TimW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 09:26 AM   #68
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Why not like Sony does it?

Toc Entry
+Level 1 Heading
+Level 1 Heading
Toc Entry
Toc Entry
I like much about Sony, but Sony's implementation requires another tap on the screen. I prefer the see the whole TOC approach.
Old 06-07-2011, 09:31 AM   #69
iandix
Addict
iandix is far more humble than you.iandix is far more humble than you.iandix is far more humble than you.iandix is far more humble than you.iandix is far more humble than you.iandix is far more humble than you.iandix is far more humble than you.iandix is far more humble than you.iandix is far more humble than you.iandix is far more humble than you.iandix is far more humble than you.

Device: nook touch a Nook 3g (rooted) and a nookcolor (rooted)
Quote:
Did you expect anything less? Kindle fanboys were always bragging about battery life, now the nook has better battery.. so what do the Kindle fans say... Battery life is not important!

I love reading how so many people are saying how much they hate the idea of a touch screen, but many Kindle owners (and some -not all- of the ones bagging touch screens) are saying how they can't wait for the Kindle Touch.

Or better still the people who are screaming that a budget priced basic ereader, marketed as a ereader and sold as an ereader is not a eink tablet running every android app, and how B&N are bastards and misled them.

let's not forget the people who are saying the nook touch is a rectangle with a 6" eink screen, so they are trying to trick people into thinking it's a Kindle. So when Amazon brings out a LCD tablet will the same people say ..oh look Amazon are trying to make people think it's a nookcolor... no they will just go on about how great Amazon is
iandix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 09:33 AM   #70
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimW View Post
I'm not trashing anything. It's not terribly user friendly to lock out most of the onboard memory and make everything in it invisible. It also happens to be the first item requested to change on the "Wishlist for 1.1 Update" on the Nook boards. "At the very least, please add another indicator for available storage so we know how much room we have left for B&N content. The way things are now, we have no idea when we are getting close to reaching the limit.. Since B&N seems to have decided to stick with this partition scheme, please make it possible for us to download all of our B&N content to the NOOK for PC app, even if it can't be opened, so we can create backups of our own. This is quickly becoming a deal breaker for me."

http://bookclubs.barnesandnoble.com/...56104#U1056104
boswd is just a "Nook or nothing" kind of guy and sometimes that clouds his judgment. I agree the partitioning is an issue and since a LOT of folks are complaining it is an important issue.
Old 06-07-2011, 09:43 AM   #71
anamardoll
Chasing Butterflies

I am a Nook owner, I don't own a Kindle, and I agree with the partitioning issue.

I'm so tired of everyone being accused of being a KINDLE FANBOI if they don't agree with each and every think that B&N does. Basically, we've defined "Kindle Fanboi" as anyone who ISN'T a rabid B&N supporter.
Old 06-07-2011, 10:21 AM   #72
boswd
Banned
boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jswinden View Post
boswd is just a "Nook or nothing" kind of guy and sometimes that clouds his judgment. I agree the partitioning is an issue and since a LOT of folks are complaining it is an important issue.
how is it an issue when you can use an SD card, this was brought up somewhere before, I can't remember where, but when explained all of a suddent the sky wasn't falling.

Inconvenience yes, an issue no. Very easy work around.

and the fact that the criciticism comes from a Kindle owner who's device doesn't even have an sd card slot nor allows the side loading of ePubs, only non dRm'd mobi, so he has more issues to worry about in his own backyard as opposed to pointing out shortcoming of others

just sayin.

Last edited by boswd; 06-07-2011 at 10:31 AM.
Old 06-07-2011, 10:29 AM   #73
boswd
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by anamardoll View Post
I am a Nook owner, I don't own a Kindle, and I agree with the partitioning issue.

I'm so tired of everyone being accused of being a KINDLE FANBOI if they don't agree with each and every think that B&N does. Basically, we've defined "Kindle Fanboi" as anyone who ISN'T a rabid B&N supporter.
I don't know anamardoll maybe some of us are tired of having to defend our purchases at every turn. Especially on our own subforum.

If you dont' like the nook or whatever ereader they have that's fine. No ereader is perfect for everyone. But the constant bashing of it. just makes you wonder. well if it's not working out for you sell it and get one that does and move on.
Think of it like thiswhat if your sign. other bought a TV, and every single day, every waking moment all he/she did was complain about it? Wouldn't you at some point be like "just return the darn thing"?

and what makes it worse is you have all these regulars on the nook subforum who don't own one, have no desire to own one and all they do is spend their time complaining about it just to justify in their own mind the device they own is the superior device.

I have my issues with the kindle: Ugly, no epub, useless keyboard
I have my issues with sony : Poor bookstore platform, no wireless for anything under $300 and here in America outrageous prices.

but I don't hang out on the kindle subforum nor the Sony one and just whine and complain about their ereader of choice.
and if I did you don't think they don't have their versions of "me" over there?

that's all.

Last edited by boswd; 06-07-2011 at 10:33 AM.
Old 06-07-2011, 10:30 AM   #74
anamardoll
Chasing Butterflies

Quote:
how is it an issue when you can use an SD card, this was brought up somewhere before, I can't remember where, but when explained all of a suddent the sky wasn't falling.

and the fact that the criciticism comes from a Kindle owner who's device doesn't even have an sd card slot nor allows the side loading of ePubs, only non dRm'd mobi, so he has more issues to worry about in his own backyard as opposed to pointing out shortcoming of others

just sayin.
This is not a competition between devices. He can't "fix" the Kindle any more than I can "fix" the Nook, so getting on to him for buying a device (Kindle 3) that he doesn't like enough to NOT be shopping around in the Nook forum is silly.

I don't like the dark partition because I don't like not knowing how much more space I have for Nook books before I need to start archiving things. I'm a control freak with my devices and I want to know where I stand in terms of internal memory and how quickly it's being used.

It's a feature that a lot of folks want, and this YOU HAVE A AMAZON DEVICE GET OUT OF OUR FORUM auto-nuking is getting tiresome. If you really don't want to see his posts, use the Ignore feature. Very convenient.

Quote:
I don't know anamardoll maybe some of us are tired of having to defend our purchases at every turn. Especially on our own subforum.
This is a fanboi mentality. You do NOT need to defend your purchase. The nook suits you 100%? Great!!

But the rest of us want to talk about the features we do/don't like and suss out our OWN purchase preferences.

I don't see anyone criticizing you for having a nook. Please don't feel persecuted when I say, "I don't like X feature" -- it's not directed at YOU.

EDIT: Also, if people complaining about the Nook feels directed at you, you might want to NOT read threads that are specifically entitled "Petty Quibbles about the Nook" or whatnot.

Last edited by anamardoll; 06-07-2011 at 10:33 AM.
Old 06-07-2011, 10:38 AM   #75
boswd
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by anamardoll View Post
This is not a competition between devices. He can't "fix" the Kindle any more than I can "fix" the Nook, so getting on to him for buying a device (Kindle 3) that he doesn't like enough to NOT be shopping around in the Nook forum is silly.

I don't like the dark partition because I don't like not knowing how much more space I have for Nook books before I need to start archiving things. I'm a control freak with my devices and I want to know where I stand in terms of internal memory and how quickly it's being used.

It's a feature that a lot of folks want, and this YOU HAVE A AMAZON DEVICE GET OUT OF OUR FORUM auto-nuking is getting tiresome. If you really don't want to see his posts, use the Ignore feature. Very convenient.

This is a fanboi mentality. You do NOT need to defend your purchase. The nook suits you 100%? Great!!

But the rest of us want to talk about the features we do/don't like and suss out our OWN purchase preferences.

I don't see anyone criticizing you for having a nook. Please don't feel persecuted when I say, "I don't like X feature" -- it's not directed at YOU.

EDIT: Also, if people complaining about the Nook feels directed at you, you might want to NOT read threads that are specifically entitled "Petty Quibbles about the Nook" or whatnot.

I guess my question to you is , If the nook doesn't meet your needs and it really is a bad purchase for you, then why not sell it and get something different.?

this isn't a snarky question, just curious. Why keep using something you don't like?