Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

Old 06-03-2011, 05:01 PM   #16
jtdolphins
Zealot
jtdolphins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jtdolphins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jtdolphins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jtdolphins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jtdolphins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jtdolphins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jtdolphins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jtdolphins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jtdolphins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jtdolphins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jtdolphins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ipod touch, Kindle3
Quote:
Originally Posted by negris123 View Post
I mentioned the ghosting in my initial post. As far as I know, the frequency of refreshes (meaning refreshing every 6 page turns, not on every page turn) is not optional, so there is no setting that can change that. Maybe there should had been, because I can see this as annoying to a lot of people.
I guess I would call it ghosting, but mostly the screen was unreadable for me. So I thought maybe I was seeing something different. Its just to distracting.

When you can see the cover of the books in your library plus several pages of text I think thats a serious problem. It didn't appear consistent though.
jtdolphins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 05:04 PM   #17
SCION
Séduisant
SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note Air2+; Kobo Libra2; Kindle Scribe, Oasis3; iPad Mini6
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtdolphins View Post
I guess I would call it ghosting, but mostly the screen was unreadable for me. So I thought maybe I was seeing something different. Its just to distracting.

When you can see the cover of the books in your library plus several pages of text I think thats a serious problem. It didn't appear consistent though.
I'm glad you mentioned it. Now I'll be looking for this to happen when I demo.
SCION is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-03-2011, 05:04 PM   #18
negris123
Zealot
negris123 taught Chuck Norris how to fight.negris123 taught Chuck Norris how to fight.negris123 taught Chuck Norris how to fight.negris123 taught Chuck Norris how to fight.negris123 taught Chuck Norris how to fight.negris123 taught Chuck Norris how to fight.negris123 taught Chuck Norris how to fight.negris123 taught Chuck Norris how to fight.negris123 taught Chuck Norris how to fight.negris123 taught Chuck Norris how to fight.negris123 taught Chuck Norris how to fight.

Device: nook
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrawn_aj View Post
Since my question thread about the stock firmware got no responses, I'll post them here:

I think you already said that My docs and My B&N docs are no longer segregated. Is there any difference in functionality between the two types of books though? Say, a sideloaded epub versus an epub purchased directly from the device from B&N?

Thanks in advance

Ditto . That's a hell of a thing to not make clear in the feature list. A pdf reader that can't render embedded images at all is NOT a pdf reader. Does it make sense that the more powerful the hardware, the less powerful and feature-rich the software?
The books that I sideloaded show up if I sort by books and if I sort by files. It seems that there is no difference between sideloaded epubs and books bought from B&N. I guess you will be happy to hear that. Not sure about the answer to your other questions though.
negris123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 05:08 PM   #19
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
negris123, would you mind loading the ePub Three Men in a Boat that Zelda made and posted to MR and then take a shot of the screen? I'm wanting to see how it works with embedded fonts and how the top & bottom margins are given that the sample photos I've seen have wide top/bottom margins. Thanks.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 05:08 PM   #20
negris123
Zealot
negris123 taught Chuck Norris how to fight.negris123 taught Chuck Norris how to fight.negris123 taught Chuck Norris how to fight.negris123 taught Chuck Norris how to fight.negris123 taught Chuck Norris how to fight.negris123 taught Chuck Norris how to fight.negris123 taught Chuck Norris how to fight.negris123 taught Chuck Norris how to fight.negris123 taught Chuck Norris how to fight.negris123 taught Chuck Norris how to fight.negris123 taught Chuck Norris how to fight.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtdolphins View Post

I think this is one of the first things they will release an update for because it is definitely noticeable and people will complain, no doubt. Wait, we already did!
Advert
Old 06-03-2011, 05:21 PM   #21
negris123
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
negris123, would you mind loading the ePub Three Men in a Boat that Zelda made and posted to MR and then take a shot of the screen? I'm wanting to see how it works with embedded fonts and how the top & bottom margins are given that the sample photos I've seen have wide top/bottom margins. Thanks.
Hope this helps!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0060.JPG
Views:	937
Size:	568.2 KB
ID:	72261  
Old 06-03-2011, 05:22 PM   #22
spedinfargo
Groupie
spedinfargo is the king of the Divan.spedinfargo is the king of the Divan.spedinfargo is the king of the Divan.spedinfargo is the king of the Divan.spedinfargo is the king of the Divan.spedinfargo is the king of the Divan.spedinfargo is the king of the Divan.spedinfargo is the king of the Divan.spedinfargo is the king of the Divan.spedinfargo is the king of the Divan.spedinfargo is the king of the Divan.

Device: none
Yeah, will be nice to have that as an option at the very least. I'd be surprised if a rooted device could pull that off.

I'm surprised that none of the reviews I've read really mentioned it too much (until the user reviews started coming here on MR).
spedinfargo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 06:28 PM   #23
jswinden
Nameless Being

I must admit I had doubts about the concept of refreshing the screen only every 5 or 6 page turns. As I feared it seems this is causing ghosting. One of the effects of eInk refreshing is ghosting, and that is why many of the readers actually do a double refresh to clear out as much ghosting as possible, and why it takes a while for a page turn. i would rather see slow page turns than ghosting. Anyone who has owned an eInk for the past few years has surely figured out the timing for starting a page turn so that just as you get to the last word the page turns. Even slow page turns on eInk are probably as fast as actual page turns in a pbook, or at least close. Oh well, other readers had ghosting issues which were remedied by firmware updates, though B&N has a poor firmware track record with the NC.

The most troublesome issue though seems to be the PDF rendering. If the new Kobo does better then this might be a big hit on the STR. Afterall, the Kindles and Sony Readers apparently have much better rendering of PDFs from what I'm reading here. The PDF issue will require more than just a minor firmware tweak.

Almost forgot, I still cannot believe B&N left out landscape mode, especially for PDFs. I kind of understand not having it for ePubs, though I think they should, but to exclude it from PDF reading is a major let down. We must remember that landscape mode would allow for 1/3 more screen width to be viewed, and with no panning or zooming hat becomes a huge issue for those who want to read PDFs with images and tables.

Last edited by jswinden; 06-03-2011 at 06:33 PM.
Old 06-03-2011, 07:14 PM   #24
Dedale
Guest Star
Dedale knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Dedale knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Dedale knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Dedale knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Dedale knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Dedale knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Dedale knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Dedale knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Dedale knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Dedale knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Dedale knows what is on the back of the AURYN.

Device: Sony PRS-700, Nook STR
I was doubtful regarding the refresh and this ghosting effect. I think it will need more testing and reviews to be sure of what we are dealing with. Therefore, I will wait before pulling the trigger. *sigh*
Dedale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 07:22 PM   #25
milhouse
milhouse began at the beginning.

Device: Nook
Can I ask what it says your available memory is? Mine is showing that my internal storage is 236MG, which I don't think is right.
milhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 07:24 PM   #26
TimW
Wizard
TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KK3G, KPW1, Sony PRST1, Sony PRS350, iPod Touch 5G
Quote:
Originally Posted by milhouse View Post
Can I ask what it says your available memory is? Mine is showing that my internal storage is 236MG, which I don't think is right.
The internal storage is 1 GB usable and 750 MB of that is reserved for B&N content. I'd say that's about right.
TimW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 07:29 PM   #27
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Hope this helps!
Thanks. It does help. I do have one more request. Please show a screen shot of page 9 of the same ePub please.

Thanks.

This way I can see a page that has no top margin and see what the nook adds in if any.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 07:32 PM   #28
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast
Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3; Kobo Aura One; iPad Mini 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimW View Post
The internal storage is 1 GB usable and 750 MB of that is reserved for B&N content. I'd say that's about right.
That is very helpful info. I was so hoping they wouldn't allocate the memory that way. Since they just made that change on the NC recently, then I thought they might. I have loads of non-BN content. I should be able to use the internal memory however I want. I don't want to be forced to use an SD card. That's extra cost as well. Ugh!!!
Bookworm_Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 07:35 PM   #29
SCION
Séduisant
SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note Air2+; Kobo Libra2; Kindle Scribe, Oasis3; iPad Mini6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookworm_Girl View Post
That is very helpful info. I was so hoping they wouldn't allocate the memory that way. Since they just made that change on the NC recently, then I thought they might. I have loads of non-BN content. I should be able to use the internal memory however I want. I don't want to be forced to use an SD card. That's extra cost as well. Ugh!!!
Did they fix the issue on the Color where books had to be reshelved if they were on the storage card and the card was removed and reinserted?
SCION is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 08:53 PM   #30
thrawn_aj
quantum mechanic
thrawn_aj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thrawn_aj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thrawn_aj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thrawn_aj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thrawn_aj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thrawn_aj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thrawn_aj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thrawn_aj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thrawn_aj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thrawn_aj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thrawn_aj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook1, Samsung Transform, Nook2
Quote:
The books that I sideloaded show up if I sort by books and if I sort by files. It seems that there is no difference between sideloaded epubs and books bought from B&N. I guess you will be happy to hear that. Not sure about the answer to your other questions though.
I'm indeed happy to hear that . Thanks for taking the time to answer . I'd love to know about the highlights and notes and the shelves too if anyone else has any insight into that.
thrawn_aj is offline   Reply With Quote