Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 02-21-2011, 11:04 AM   #1
jbcohen
Wizard
jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung A21
Dedicated reading device

So why do you prefer to read electronic books on a dedicated device rather than a smart phone? I am reading on a smart phone because I want to carry fewer number of devices with me, at one point I carried - two phones (one for work and one for home), an MP3 player and an electronic book reader. Now I carry one device that will do all of that, its a blackberry.
jbcohen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 11:31 AM   #2
cfrizz
Wizard
cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung 54A, Kobo Libra H2O, Samsung S6 Lite
I not the slightest bit interested in reading off of such a small screen. What's more, my Sony reader is capable of playing mp3s.
cfrizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-21-2011, 11:36 AM   #3
mr ploppy
Feral Underclass
mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 2nd hand paperback
A bigger screen that doesn't bozz your eyes up if you read for more than 10 minutes.
mr ploppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 11:51 AM   #4
FF2
Wizard
FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: WiFi Kindle3
Actually, I did get the Kindle-Reader for Blackberry at first before getting the k3. As others have said, I did not appreciate reading on the small screen. It just did not work for me. I will admit I have watched movies on my BB but I guess a moving picture requires less intense staring at the screen than attempting to read a book. My BB has replaced my mp3 player - use it at the gym or around town with bluetooth headphones.
FF2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 11:55 AM   #5
Giggleton
Banned
Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle3
Before I got my Kindle I read a bit on my iPhone, it made my eyes hurt, now that I have a Kindle my eyes don't hurt so much.
Giggleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-21-2011, 01:57 PM   #6
Anke Wehner
Addict
Anke Wehner can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Anke Wehner can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Anke Wehner can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Anke Wehner can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Anke Wehner can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Anke Wehner can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Anke Wehner can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Anke Wehner can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Anke Wehner can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Anke Wehner can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Anke Wehner can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: PRS-650
a) I don't have a smartphone
b) If I want to read on a backlist screen, that of my laptop is bigger

I don't read on-the-go a lot, currently.
Anke Wehner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 02:02 PM   #7
Lemurion
eReader
Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Note 5; PW3; Nook HD+; ChuWi Hi12; iPad
I'm simply not fond of small screens. I have a smartphone, and I do read on it but I would rather use a device with a larger screen.
Lemurion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 02:08 PM   #8
vaughnmr
Ebook Reader
vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, HTC Evo, HTC View
I read ebooks on a smartphone for months, until I finally got a Kindle. What a relief!!! It would be pure torture to use a smartphone as your primary reading device.
vaughnmr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 02:12 PM   #9
rogue_librarian
Guru
rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Basic 613
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbcohen View Post
So why do you prefer to read electronic books on a dedicated device rather than a smart phone?
Larger screen size, superior display, at least a week (heavy use) between charge cycles. But, hey, whatever works for you. Isn't choice great?
rogue_librarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 02:12 PM   #10
elcreative
Wizard
elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS505, 600, 350, 650, Nexus 7, Note III, iPad 4 etc
You give the reason in your question, "dedicated," a device designed for the task it is intended to perform... to allow the reading of books in a far superior fashion to a generalist device which lets you read books but not in very ergonomic fashion... likewise I have a music player because it plays (and stores lots of) music well for a substantial length of time whilst my phone then retains enough charge to let me deal with phone calls and texts... to re-quote (with a twist), a smart phone (alone)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbcohen View Post
So why do you prefer to read electronic books on a dedicated device rather than a smart phone? I am reading on a smart phone because I want to carry fewer number of devices with me, at one point I carried - two phones (one for work and one for home), an MP3 player and an electronic book reader. Now I carry one device that will do all of that, its a blackberry.
elcreative is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 08:51 PM   #11
CWatkinsNash
IOC Chief Archivist
CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Meebook M7, Paperwhite 2021, Fire HD 8+, Fire HD 10+, Lenovo Tab P12
Well, I don't have (or want) a smartphone, but having tried out other people's gadgets, my Kindle is about the smallest screen I can comfortably read on. I also have issues with backlit LCDs.
CWatkinsNash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 08:58 PM   #12
Namekuseijin
affordable chipmunk
Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony XPeria ZL, Kindle Paperwhite
I don't. A smartphone is fine enough. I can't understand the reasoning behind "small screen", since letters are about the same size as when reading on a desktop pc, given you hold your device a bit closer to your face, kinda like a book.
Namekuseijin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 08:59 PM   #13
barb2cats
Connoisseur
barb2cats can eat soup with a fork.barb2cats can eat soup with a fork.barb2cats can eat soup with a fork.barb2cats can eat soup with a fork.barb2cats can eat soup with a fork.barb2cats can eat soup with a fork.barb2cats can eat soup with a fork.barb2cats can eat soup with a fork.barb2cats can eat soup with a fork.barb2cats can eat soup with a fork.barb2cats can eat soup with a fork.

Device: Cybook Gen3, Kindle 2, iPhone, VIZIO
I choose to read on my Gen3 most of the time, bigger screen, larger font, etc.

But, I keep a few books on my iPhone, for something to read while waiting in line, or when I don't have the Gen3 with me. These are usually books I enjoy rereading -- Makes it easier to follow the plot.

Barb
barb2cats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 09:06 PM   #14
wvcherrybomb
Sharp Shootin' Grandma
wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kindle Fire, Literati (has been adopted by my daughter)
I could never stand to read on a screen that size. You would have to turn the page every few sentences. Besides, I dislike smart phones. Despite having a five lines eligible for Verizon upgrades, I took a pass on the iPhone and got a $15 phone instead.

Thankfully, I am a female and have the luxury of carrying a purse. I chose my current purse for it's dedicated K3-sized padded pocket as well as a cell phone pocket. My Kindle is also loaded with music and earbuds easily reach from my purse to my ears.

Last edited by wvcherrybomb; 02-21-2011 at 11:20 PM.
wvcherrybomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 09:21 PM   #15
Namekuseijin
affordable chipmunk
Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony XPeria ZL, Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by wvcherrybomb View Post
I could never stand to read on a screen that size. You would have to turn the page every few sentences.
Not true. Aside from verbose classics like Robinson Crusoe, I usually get several paragraphs worth of text on my 3.7" screen. That's what smartphones afford you: a lot of screen space rather than a tiny screen and lots of tiny buttons. Hang on to that hate!
Namekuseijin is offline   Reply With Quote