Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Introduce Yourself

Notices

Old 02-08-2011, 07:06 PM   #1
readit
Enthusiast
readit has never been to obedience school.readit has never been to obedience school.readit has never been to obedience school.readit has never been to obedience school.readit has never been to obedience school.readit has never been to obedience school.readit has never been to obedience school.readit has never been to obedience school.readit has never been to obedience school.readit has never been to obedience school.readit has never been to obedience school.

Device: Binatone ReadMeClassic 6",TravelmateC110 10.4",HTC Wizard WinMobile
Helloo! Time to care for all my piled up eBooks I guess...& get a eReader!

Helloo from England, Ladies & Gents!

Finally the time has come for me, my 3rd dead printer and the 100's of eBooks collecting dust on my PC's, to activly search for an eReader..

Hours of unsuccessful double sided printing over the years, waisting paper, ink and nerves drove me to this decision...

To make things a bit more difficult, this will happen on a budget, cause the most devices I see around are a bit over the ammount I can and want to afford right now.

Documents I have en masse and want to read are pdf's, txt, word/rtf's, jpg's (books copied by digicam!) , mostly documentary, how-to and entrepreneural books.

Looking forward to meet the community here!

PS: 1220 guests watching and 165 active members made me think who is writing all the threads...you guys are really busy! Cheers
readit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 07:17 PM   #2
MickeyC
Grand Sorcerer
MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 6 plus, Sony T1, iPad 3
Cheers readit and welcome to MobileRead
MickeyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-09-2011, 05:50 AM   #3
neilmarr
neilmarr
neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony
Good to have your company, Readit. There are a whole heap of devices out there now and prices are dropping all the time. Might be an idea to check out the 'which one should I buy?' forum here to choose the device that suits you and your pocket best. Good luck and best wishes. Neil
neilmarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 09:23 AM   #4
Valmore Daniels
Grand Sorcerer
Valmore Daniels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valmore Daniels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valmore Daniels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valmore Daniels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valmore Daniels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valmore Daniels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valmore Daniels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valmore Daniels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valmore Daniels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valmore Daniels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valmore Daniels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Welcome to Mobileread
Valmore Daniels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 09:36 AM   #5
Latinandgreek
Warrior Princess
Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505; PRS-350, PRS-T1, iPad, Aura HD
Hello, and welcome to MR! You will LOVE an e-book reader. Best of luck choosing one! As someone looking to upgrade mine, I have to admit it's not an easy choice, what with the wealth of many great products on the market right now. Have fun with it!
Latinandgreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-09-2011, 10:59 AM   #6
GeoffC
Chocolate Grasshopper ...
GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Muse HD , Cybook Gen3 , Pocketbook 302 (Black) , Nexus 10: wife has PW

Welcome to Mobileread ....

There's a couple of links in my signature that may help you in your choice of reader; one goes to our Wiki, and the other to a forum ...
GeoffC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 11:49 AM   #7
beppe
Grand Sorcerer
beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle3, Ipod4, IPad2
Hi, have a good time with us
beppe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 11:50 AM   #8
beppe
Grand Sorcerer
beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle3, Ipod4, IPad2
double post. So sorry
beppe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 09:54 PM   #9
Sandra Edwards
Queen of Procrastination
Sandra Edwards once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Sandra Edwards once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Sandra Edwards once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Sandra Edwards once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Sandra Edwards once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Sandra Edwards once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Sandra Edwards once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Sandra Edwards once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Sandra Edwards once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Sandra Edwards once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Sandra Edwards once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: K2, K3, Fire
Welcome to MR!

Sandy
Sandra Edwards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2011, 05:07 AM   #10
desertblues
Home for the moment
desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: various
Hi, welcome to MR from the Netherlands. Take a look at our free , good formatted, classic ebooks; you'll love them.
desertblues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2011, 07:33 AM   #11
sourcejedi
Groupie
sourcejedi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sourcejedi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sourcejedi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sourcejedi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sourcejedi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sourcejedi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sourcejedi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sourcejedi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sourcejedi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sourcejedi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sourcejedi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Android
Welcome - but maybe you can't afford it . The PDFs and JPGs aren't ebooks; they're... both image formats (although PDF's can at least be vector images and have links / tables of contents). An ebook is something that can be word-wrapped, has not been split up into pages, has an electronic table of contents, and might even be read by a speech synthesizer.

You can't scale down an A4 page to a 5", 800x600 device. And a digicam of a 5" book at 1:1 is likely to suffer on e-ink: even relative to an equivalent 800x600 PC display, you're going from ~256 levels of gray to ~16 levels of gray. On a good PDF reader, you can use a "landscape" orientation, so you can view an enlarged _part_ of the page - but it gets less feasible as you leave the realm of simple linear text. You're going to curse reference PDFs that don't have an electronic table of contents on e-ink, because page-turns are so slow. And any size of diagram is going to be an exercise in frustration.

I would try waiting for the *official* ("Honeycomb") Android tablets. No guarantees... but if they're popular, they'll keep the minimum price relatively low & include smaller (5") budget models with Wifi only. You'll be able to get more value from it (web browsing), an open system will be better for viewing random filetypes; and the much faster response time, more levels of gray, and actual colour of an LCD screen will be better for image-like formats and diagrams.

It also means you can legally read *both* Amazon and Adobe "protected" ebooks, which covers all the current favorites. (Apple don't count... apart from iBook's device-only reading being a bad choice for a previous PC or Mac reader, they're excluded by your budget. And I suspect their ideas about sync-ing using iTunes would not suit either).
sourcejedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2011, 12:00 PM   #12
readit
Enthusiast
readit has never been to obedience school.readit has never been to obedience school.readit has never been to obedience school.readit has never been to obedience school.readit has never been to obedience school.readit has never been to obedience school.readit has never been to obedience school.readit has never been to obedience school.readit has never been to obedience school.readit has never been to obedience school.readit has never been to obedience school.

Thank you all for the warm welcome!

And thanks for the advice so far as well - I just posted a mysterious cheap device (I saw on eBay) here in the forum, if anyone is interested in unknown eReaders:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...78#post1402478

And thanks, sourcejedi, for the hint regarding the problem to expect with my jpg and pdf scan...yes, I thought about an android device as well, why do you recommend waiting for the *official* ("Honeycomb") Android tablets?

There are plenty of Android based devices already available..older models for a quite cheap price, around and under 100...?

Cheers
Old 02-18-2011, 02:00 PM   #13
neilmarr
neilmarr
neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony
Pssst, Readit. Your local ASDA supermarket is peddling a reader for fifty quid. Back lit, and I don't know what formats it supports, but it's maybe worth checking out. Hoots. Neil
neilmarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 04:20 PM   #14
readit
Enthusiast

Hi Neil, thanks for the hint...I am just checking it out...I like the review where he writes:

"I found that changing the background colour to black and the text to white, then reducing the brightness to 10% is ideal for night time reading."

Didnt find the specs (formats) yet, but it seems the price went up to 75 quid...
Old 02-21-2011, 04:30 PM   #15
readit
Enthusiast

..found it! it is a 5" screen, but quite cheap, you're right - 50 quid!

I like The description (CLICK HERE to ASDA) , referring to 1000's of free eBooks...

Tags
cheap ereader, documentary, how-to-books, jpg, scans