Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 12-21-2010, 01:22 PM   #16
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo original, WiFI, Touch, Glo, and Aura
My WiFi goes to sleep after 15 minutes no matter what kind of book I am reading. I can live with that until the update happens.
taming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 06:29 PM   #17
amo
Teaist
amo taught Chuck Norris how to fight.amo taught Chuck Norris how to fight.amo taught Chuck Norris how to fight.amo taught Chuck Norris how to fight.amo taught Chuck Norris how to fight.amo taught Chuck Norris how to fight.amo taught Chuck Norris how to fight.amo taught Chuck Norris how to fight.amo taught Chuck Norris how to fight.amo taught Chuck Norris how to fight.amo taught Chuck Norris how to fight.

Device: Kobo WiFi, Kobo Aura ONE, Android cell phone
Quote:
Originally Posted by taming View Post
My WiFi goes to sleep after 15 minutes no matter what kind of book I am reading. I can live with that until the update happens.
Yes, the auto sleep always works. Thank goodness. Sleep from "open book", no; sleep from "Home", sometimes; auto-sleep after 15 minutes, always.

Psyke, I shut mine down when I put it down for a longer time, say overnight. If I'm just leaving it for an hour or so, I'd like to be able to make it sleep, and not have to wait the 15 minutes for it to auto-sleep.

But, whatever; I can live with it. And I'm looking forward to having it fixed eventually.
amo is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-21-2010, 07:12 PM   #18
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by amo View Post
Yes, but when? WHEN?? (she waileth in desperate impatience.) I've been hopping on these boards almost every day, looking for that update... I thought you said it'd be out before the end of the year, but I guess you meant the Kobo1 version that just came out.
I'm clueless about when this update will be out. All the talk was for the Kobo-1 update (at least from me).
Old 12-21-2010, 07:45 PM   #19
JCKobo
Kobo Product Guy
JCKobo can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.JCKobo can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.JCKobo can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.JCKobo can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.JCKobo can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.JCKobo can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.JCKobo can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.JCKobo can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.JCKobo can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.JCKobo can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.JCKobo can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.

Device: Kobo Vox
This is a known issue with Adobe DRM ePubs in 1.7.4. We are testing a 1.7.5 version that fixes it. Given how close we are to Xmas, we are only releasing critical fixes as the moment, so we likely will hold off on this until early January.

I know it is annoying, but I believe you can work around it by either letting your Kobo naturally go to sleep after 15 minutes, or pressing home before putting the device to sleep.
JCKobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 07:56 PM   #20
taming
Trying for calm & polite

It's also an issue for sideloaded DRM free ePUBs. I'm hoping/guesing/assuming that since the Kobo-1 update sleep shtuff works with those just fine, so will the 1.7.5 update.

Last edited by taming; 12-21-2010 at 07:59 PM.
Advert
Old 12-22-2010, 09:00 PM   #21
amo
Teaist
amo taught Chuck Norris how to fight.amo taught Chuck Norris how to fight.amo taught Chuck Norris how to fight.amo taught Chuck Norris how to fight.amo taught Chuck Norris how to fight.amo taught Chuck Norris how to fight.amo taught Chuck Norris how to fight.amo taught Chuck Norris how to fight.amo taught Chuck Norris how to fight.amo taught Chuck Norris how to fight.amo taught Chuck Norris how to fight.

Device: Kobo WiFi, Kobo Aura ONE, Android cell phone
Quote:
This is a known issue with Adobe DRM ePubs in 1.7.4. We are testing a 1.7.5 version that fixes it.
Oh goody!

Quote:
Given how close we are to Xmas, we are only releasing critical fixes as the moment, so we likely will hold off on this until early January.
Aaawww! But, but- this is critical, isn't it? A kobo with insomnia, you never know what it'll do next if it can't get to sleep. It might lose its mind entirely.

Quote:
I believe you can work around it by either letting your Kobo naturally go to sleep after 15 minutes,
that, yes

Quote:
or pressing home before putting the device to sleep.
That only works about half the time; the other half it crashes out again and shuts right down.

Okay, looking forward to the fix- whenever it shows up.

amo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 10:39 PM   #22
kiwipippa
Fanatic
kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo glo, kobo touch (dead), kindle touch, android phone
I have read this thread and I'm not sure if it answers my question. I have the original non wifi kobo with 1.8.1 and have no problems with the sleep, power off behaviour.

I have just purchased a wifi for my mother and hers does not power off - it permanently sleeps, draining the battery faster than I would have expected. The original has a setting allowing me to set the auto power off to "yes" meaning the kobo will sleep for about 15 minutes then power off. Mum's kobo doesn't have this setting - or if it does, it is in a different place.

Was this auto power off setting something new for 1.8.1 that will eventually get picked up by a wifi firmware upgrade? Or am I looking in the wrong place?

Thanks
kiwipippa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 10:52 PM   #23
Psyke
Evangelist
Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Wi-Fi - Kobo Touch - GNex - N7
Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwipippa View Post
I have read this thread and I'm not sure if it answers my question. I have the original non wifi kobo with 1.8.1 and have no problems with the sleep, power off behaviour.

I have just purchased a wifi for my mother and hers does not power off - it permanently sleeps, draining the battery faster than I would have expected. The original has a setting allowing me to set the auto power off to "yes" meaning the kobo will sleep for about 15 minutes then power off. Mum's kobo doesn't have this setting - or if it does, it is in a different place.

Was this auto power off setting something new for 1.8.1 that will eventually get picked up by a wifi firmware upgrade? Or am I looking in the wrong place?

Thanks
Wifi doesn' thave an auto power off feature. Also, make sure the check for new magazines and newspapers is shut off as well as it will wake the kobo at least once a day to check for new issues.
Psyke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 11:40 PM   #24
kiwipippa
Fanatic
kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo glo, kobo touch (dead), kindle touch, android phone
Quote:
Originally Posted by Psyke View Post
Wifi doesn' thave an auto power off feature. Also, make sure the check for new magazines and newspapers is shut off as well as it will wake the kobo at least once a day to check for new issues.
Thanks Steph, so I wasn't going mad trying to find it.

Last edited by kiwipippa; 01-20-2011 at 11:40 PM. Reason: spelling
kiwipippa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 07:41 AM   #25
batkinson001
Kobo App user
batkinson001 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.batkinson001 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.batkinson001 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 10.1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy2906 View Post
Hi,

My problem is, it never goes on Sleep even if i press for less than a second on the power button !!

It always shuts down, grrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

Anybody with the same problem ?

Anybody have a solution ??

Thanks.
My dad's black kobo wireless has this issue. dunno how to fix it.
batkinson001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 08:39 AM   #26
taming
Trying for calm & polite

Short press for sleep is a known issue. When 1.7.4 was pushed out for the WiFi version they were having a problem with a function related to Adobe (also applied to any sideloaded book) that was overlooked/unknown at the time it was released. The fix will be in the next update--and no, I have no idea when that will happen.

It seems that short press for sleep works from the home screen (at least most of the time). My solution is to not press anything and let the Kobo go to sleep on its own after 15 minutes.

Kobo--1 has an option for auto power off (under the general tab in settings). I believe this will be be included in the next incremental update. At one point it looked like Kobo was going to do a small update fairly quickly that would include features like this, and then do a big change for the WiFi later on. I don't know if this is still the plan or not.

The last I heard was on the GetSatisfaction board where JCKobo said this:
Quote:
There is currently no specific timeline for a software update for the Kobo Wireless Reader, though we intend to release new features for it early in the new year.

Last edited by taming; 01-21-2011 at 08:50 AM. Reason: more info